Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 04:04 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,013,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Why the eye roll? You don't believe me? That reaction makes me think of one of my earliest memories.

You know that you and I believe some drastically different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 04:46 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
And according to you, none of us believe the right things.
The "precepts and doctrines of men" that appeal to you and bring you to God are the correct ones FOR YOU! The key is bringing you to God and fostering a love of God and each other that matters to God. Those of you who focus on the love of God and leave out the love of each other part will be dealt with appropriately as will those who love neither, IMO. What YOU need to believe to bring YOU to do both is what matters to God, and since there IS only ONE God, it hardly matters what WE think.

Old 09-07-2021, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The "precepts and doctrines of men" that appeal to you and bring you to God are the correct ones FOR YOU! The key is bringing you to God and fostering a love of God and each other that matters to God. Those of you who focus on the love of God and leave out the love of each other part will be dealt with appropriately as will those who love neither, IMO. What YOU need to believe to bring YOU to do both is what matters to God, and since there IS only ONE God, it hardly matters what WE think.
wah wah wahhhhhhhh

Old 09-07-2021, 05:22 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,317,575 times
Quote:
And according to you, none of us believe the right things.
There is a difference between thinking someone has it wrong and thinking someone has it so wrong they should be tortured for eternity. I might think you have it wrong but I don't believe you should be punished for that even if I believed it possible.

Old 09-07-2021, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
There is a difference between thinking someone has it wrong and thinking someone has it so wrong they should be tortured for eternity. I might think you have it wrong but I don't believe you should be punished for that even if I believed it possible.
When have I ever said that people go to hell for being wrong?

Old 09-07-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
When have I ever said that people go to hell for being wrong?
I thought that was your belief system, my mistake.

So what do you think would be the appropriate consequence for not believing the right things? Even as a little JW kid I couldn't understand why those people thought they had something special that they should be given everlasting life while people who didn't believe the same things should be murdered *at Armaggedon. It's unimaginable to me that there is that much difference.

*they say "everlasting destruction" but I've changed it to murdered because things are destroyed, people are murdered.

Old 09-07-2021, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I thought that was your belief system, my mistake.

So what do you think would be the appropriate consequence for not believing the right things? Even as a little JW kid I couldn't understand why those people thought they had something special that they should be given everlasting life while people who didn't believe the same things should be murdered *at Armaggedon. It's unimaginable to me that there is that much difference.

*they say "everlasting destruction" but I've changed it to murdered because things are destroyed, people are murdered.
All of us deserve punishment for our sin in eternal hell.

God, being rich in mercy, elects some to salvation, regenerating and granting them faith. So no one goes to hell for not believing. People go to hell because they're sinners.

Old 09-07-2021, 05:48 PM

Quote:
All of us deserve punishment for our sin in eternal hell.

God, being rich in mercy, elects some to salvation, regenerating and granting them faith. So no one goes to hell for not believing. People go to hell because they're sinners.
According to the doctrine we are born that way. So to say we deserve punishment for being exactly what He created us to seems weird. He could have easily just made us born sinless. He is responsible for all of that not us. Shouldn't everyone go to hell if they are sinners? Why does believing the right things get you off the hook?

Old 09-07-2021, 05:56 PM

Oh, I get it. You have such a low opinion of God's creation that the default is we deserve pain, sorrow, death and never-ending torture and it's actually out of God's goodness that He chooses to spare even a few. That doesn't sound good to me. We wouldn't even let another human being get away with that. If you stood there and watched while a child was being beaten and did nothing I'd think you a dick. You can get away with saying that God doesn't interfere with the world but the afterlife? All those children murdered in the holocaust and God lets them slip into hell?

Old 09-07-2021, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Oh, I get it. You have such a low opinion of God's creation that the default is we deserve pain, sorrow, death and never-ending torture and it's actually out of God's goodness that He chooses to spare even a few.
God created the human race as pure and sinless. Why would you think that God made us sinners?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity