Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2020, 10:20 AM

4,280 posts, read 5,938,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Anyone who is thinking about becoming a doctor for the income and/or prestige needs to take a good, hard look at what's happening now in the hospital systems in our major cities. Are you SURE you still want this job?
Wasn't it NYU who recently graduated all MD students early so they could immediately help in the Covid-19 ICU's?

Our son is a Pathologist in Pittsburgh and he is nervous that his Hospital will place all Doctors on ER/ICU rotations. His wife is 8 months pregnant with their first child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2020, 11:25 AM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Our daughter is doing a residency in a hospital that has an embargo on all information. It's more than unnerving.
Interesting. My son and his wife are residents in different systems. Both are quite open with information.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Wasn't it NYU who recently graduated all MD students early so they could immediately help in the Covid-19 ICU's?

Our son is a Pathologist in Pittsburgh and he is nervous that his Hospital will place all Doctors on ER/ICU rotations. His wife is 8 months pregnant with their first child.
Not all fourth year students but many and they must agree to join NUY's ER or IM departments. It's a really smart move.

The med. schools my son his wife graduated from have both set up similar pathways.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:57 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post

Yes, and I think Columbia is graduating their med students early also, for the same reason.

This is a downside a lot of people don't often think of when they push their kids to become a physician for the prestige, the high income, and the job security. There is always a non-zero chance of catching something contagious from a patient and dying from it (as a previous generation of physicians who trained in the early days of the AIDS epidemic, when there was no effective treatment for HIV-positive people, and who had to perform invasive procedures and draw blood on HIV-positive patients can also attest to). And as far as the job security goes: with the drastic cutbacks on elective procedures now in place in many areas, a lot of docs are taking pay cuts or in some cases being furloughed altogether.

Ultimately, the only reason to go into medicine is because it's really what you want to do. Choosing this career for any other reason is a road to unhappiness.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:42 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
My wife demands that one of our kids become a doctor, regardless of their interest. Or I should say she attempts to nurture their interest in this field.

I think this is primarily due to the conventional thinking that doctors are one of the best professions.

Is that conventional thinking still true on the eve of 2020?

If I could do higher level math and science I would have pursued med school. I think people just want to become rich and famous these days. Any career that will get them there the fastest, is what they pursue.

Old 04-05-2020, 11:08 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I think people just want to become rich and famous these days. Any career that will get them there the fastest, is what they pursue.
Was there any time in the history of the world when things were different?

Old 04-07-2020, 08:14 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,712,440 times
Parents still think like this? i thought everyone was woke now

so many professions make more money than doc. So many professions saves the world & make it better place. most people are too woke to assign prestige to profession & realize people are more than their job.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post

so many professions make more money than doc. So many professions saves the world & make it better place. most people are too woke to assign prestige to profession & realize people are more than their job.
I'm just curious what are the several professions that generally pay better than medicine?

Old 04-07-2020, 09:27 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Find a hospital that has teen age volunteer workers. Better yet, find a physician who would mentor / apprentice the youngster into the arcane world of medicine.
. . .
The longer the exposure, the easier it is to remember all the little things that make up a modern practice.
. . .
Frankly, I prefer long term apprenticeships that do not incur crippling debt. In fact, I think every practice should have young apprentices as young as 11 or 12, helping out, and learning by observing.

Colleges are not in the business of teaching, but in the business of bestowing credentials. You can learn any where, any time, any way, but without credentials, you can't sit for the examination or be approved under current labor laws.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:32 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post

"Woke"?
Sigh.
Bat Inglitch.

Woke - past tense of wake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education