Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2023, 04:49 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Frankly, this thread is pretty much at a dead end.

There's nothing new being said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2023, 05:07 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Lifelong earnings of those in Skilled trades, does NOT lag lifelong earnings of 'average' College grads.

Life and earnings is very individual, but PLEASE don't consider Skilled trades as "HS ONLY educated'

Those pursuing a career in Skilled trades are not flipping burgers and selling slacks, They never have, they never will.

Apprentices in Skilled trades are making over $50k / yr from age 18, and often well over $80k by age 22. $100k is very easy with the OT a salaried 'professional(?) worker does weekly for FREE. Add 40 yrs to that number and you're talking real $$.

No ONE path suits all.

That's a good thing.
You can’t compare skilled trades and average college earnings. The only meaningful comparisons is median wages of HS degree vs college degree. You want to compare in a way that makes your case for the trades.

And nowhere did I say trades were unskilled but it is a fact that while most trades folks have certifications etc they typically do not have a college degree.

Of course no one path fits all. Some trades people do very very well. So do some college graduates. But the fact remaining is that based on median income, a college degree leads to higher earning and less chance of unemployment. Saying that isn’t a slam on the trades, it’s just one more thing to consider when deciding what to do.

Old 07-07-2023, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
They're all doing it.

Somehow I doubt that.
If he can claim his anecdotal evidence can be achieved by all students, then I can claim mine can too. All the kids (30-35) I know have college degrees and most have advanced degrees. And they make a LOT more money than 100k a year. More like 200-300k plus bonuses.

If I know kids who did this, then clearly every college kid can. Yeah, that’s sounds just as silly as claiming all kids can do what he claims his kids and his friends kids have done.

Old 07-07-2023, 06:53 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
You can’t compare skilled trades and average college earnings. The only meaningful comparisons is median wages of HS degree vs college degree. You want to compare in a way that makes your case for the trades.

And nowhere did I say trades were unskilled but it is a fact that while most trades folks have certifications etc they typically do not have a college degree.

Of course no one path fits all. Some trades people do very very well. So do some college graduates. But the fact remaining is that based on median income, a college degree leads to higher earning and less chance of unemployment. Saying that isn’t a slam on the trades, it’s just one more thing to consider when deciding what to do.
Modal income.

Old 07-07-2023, 06:55 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
If he can claim his anecdotal evidence can be achieved by all students, then I can claim mine can too. All the kids (30-35) I know have college degrees and most have advanced degrees. And they make a LOT more money than 100k a year. More like 200-300k plus bonuses.
If only 30-40 percent of people have bachelor's degrees--that's the statistic--and yet all of the kids you know have bachelor's degrees or higher, then obviously your sample is highly skewed.

Old 07-07-2023, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
If only 30-40 percent of people have bachelor's degrees--that's the statistic--and yet all of the kids you know have bachelor's degrees or higher, then obviously your sample is highly skewed.
That was literally my point. The difference is I acknowledge that my experience is not everyone’s and Stealth Rabbit insists what kids around him have achieved is possible for all kids to achieve if we just somehow change education to fit his model.

Old 07-07-2023, 10:50 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There's very little data in this whole thread. It's almost entirely personal opinon.

Old 07-08-2023, 09:49 AM

8,659 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
I just think an elective could help those trying to decide their path. I’m not for high schools schools teaching vocational subjects like HVAC certification, but why not what is basically an intro to the trades elective? It would not focus on any one trade, but give info on different trades and how to train for them.

As long as it’s an elective and not a requirement, I think it could be helpful to students.
I’m not entirely against a trade-related elective, but it sounds as though you’re suggesting a credited class relative to career-counseling information. In other words, what do you suggest be taught re: how to train for (various) trades? It’s pretty simple; get your high-school diploma and go to trade school or community college (and a counselor can provide assistance relative to such, if needed).

Hence, my point - what, specifically, do folks realistically expect regarding the ‘promotion of trades’, per the thread, other than the typical career fairs, assessment tests and so on. It’s not as if information or assistance isn’t available for those students who want to pursue such.

That said, folks are oddly considering (the promotion of) college readiness as equating to the promotion of college, as a whole. There is a huge distinction.

Old 07-08-2023, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I’m not entirely against a trade-related elective, but it sounds as though you’re suggesting a credited class relative to career-counseling information. In other words, what do you suggest be taught re: how to train for (various) trades? It’s pretty simple; get your high-school diploma and go to trade school or community college (and a counselor can provide assistance relative to such, if needed).

Hence, my point - what, specifically, do folks realistically expect regarding the ‘promotion of trades’, per the thread, other than the typical career fairs, assessment tests and so on. It’s not as if information or assistance isn’t available for those students who want to pursue such.

That said, folks are oddly considering (the promotion of) college readiness as equating to the promotion of college, as a whole. There is a huge distinction.
Call it Exploring a Career in the Trades if you’d rather. Call it Introduction to Trades. It doesn’t really matter. The point is to have an elective for those who might want to pursue a trade. What’s wrong with assisting those kids in figuring out if they do want to go into a trade and informing them of what is needed to do so?

Electives are just that elective. Nothing wrong with adding Intro to Trades to Art, Music, photography or any number of elective classes geared toward the interests of some students.

I agree that there’s a huge distinction between college readiness and college promotion.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 07-08-2023 at 10:44 AM..

Old 07-08-2023, 10:43 AM

43,059 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There's very little data in this whole thread. It's almost entirely personal opinon.
USG has data as of 2021

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres...ttainment.html

8.9% had less than a high school diploma or equivalent.
27.9% had high school graduate as their highest level of school completed.
14.9% had completed some college but not a degree.
10.5% had an associate degree as their highest level of school completed.
23.5% had a bachelor’s degree as their highest degree.
14.4% had completed an advanced degree such as a master’s degree, professional degree or doctoral degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education