Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2023, 09:41 AM

8,659 posts, read 3,853,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
This thread feels like a debate between two groups of poor working-class people. One decided to go college and wrack up debt that apparently they don’t make enough money to pay back AND those who prefer to go straight to the sweatshop and break their backs making wealthy men even wealthier.
I don’t consider it a debate in the least; no one is suggesting anyone shouldn’t go to trade school (or that it isn’t a viable option for some). Just don’t expect everyone to jump on that bandwagon by weakly implying all college students will be in considerable debt and work a dead-end job the rest of their lives, although I know it’s your ongoing personal claim re: ‘promotion’, per the thread. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2023, 02:58 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I like it...as long as it's a semester-long elective.
Sure. I’m good with it as long as it’s an elective and not something all kids have to take.

Old 07-07-2023, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
It’s as if you’re suggesting those who don’t plan to attend college are neglected. If there is any more time given, it’s relative to the student’s schedule (to ensure they are enrolled in the classes they need to meet certain requirements). There is no such reason to meet with a student who is considering a trade school as entrance requirements are minimal (and they have no interest in school or meeting with a guidance counselor anyway). If they did, they could; it starts with the student.
I just think an elective could help those trying to decide their path. I’m not for high schools schools teaching vocational subjects like HVAC certification, but why not what is basically an intro to the trades elective? It would not focus on any one trade, but give info on different trades and how to train for them.

As long as it’s an elective and not a requirement, I think it could be helpful to students.

Old 07-07-2023, 03:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Sure. I’m good with it as long as it’s an elective and not something all kids have to take.
Better than nothing, but...

Exposure to a 'class', and being an 'elective' is not gonna be terribly valuable to career decisions.

Immersion is good (Get a j-o-b in your field). A Grunt job will do.

'Dabbling' may add confusion. Get dirty.

24 hrs / day and 168 hrs / week.
HS occupies about 1/6th to 1/10th of that time.

Old 07-07-2023, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I don’t consider it a debate in the least; no one is suggesting anyone shouldn’t go to trade school (or that it isn’t a viable option for some). Just don’t expect everyone to jump on that bandwagon by weakly implying all college students will be in considerable debt and work a dead-end job the rest of their lives, although I know it’s your ongoing personal claim re: ‘promotion’, per the thread. :-)
Agreed. This notion that college is only a path to debt and at best a McJob isn’t supported by facts. No, college isn’t for everyone, but there’s no denying that those with college degrees (when looking at median income) will out earn those without one and they’re less likely to be unemployed.

Just like going into a trade, college is what you make of it.

From the link:

The earnings gap between college graduates and those with less education continues to widen. In 2021, median income for recent graduates reached $52,000 a year for bachelor’s degree holders aged 22–27. For high school graduates the same age, median earnings are $30,000 a year.

Recent college graduates also weathered the Great Recession far better than their peers with a high school diploma. Today, the jobless rate for bachelor’s degree holders is less than 2 percent

https://www.aplu.org/our-work/4-poli...000%20a%20year.

Old 07-07-2023, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Better than nothing, but...

Exposure to a 'class', and being an 'elective' is not gonna be terribly valuable to career decisions.

Immersion is good (Get a j-o-b in your field). A Grunt job will do.

'Dabbling' may add confusion. Get dirty.

24 hrs / day and 168 hrs / week.
HS occupies about 1/6th to 1/10th of that time.
That may be preferable, but you have to know that’s not reasonable for ALL students. Not all kids have the benefit of the access to those jobs like yours did. Not everyone knows a plumber or electrician who will let their kid “dabble” and even fewer would pay them. Some kids work to help their families financially. You’re as usual looking at your situation and conflating it into something all kids and parents can emulate. Not hardly.

Old 07-07-2023, 03:25 PM

Quote:
...You’re as usual looking at your situation and conflating it into something all kids and parents can emulate. Not hardly.
I was with our local neighbor kids this week. (in PNW, CO and TX)
They're all doing it.

Working,
Running their own businesses.
Exploring careers (long before HS).

Several are helping their parents build new houses. (Learning to read a tape measure and 'measure twice, cut once')

They will have a great headstart on EDU, trades, career, life...

Yes, I and other parents may have been crackers to invest our lives in our kids, rather than our careers, advancement, or financial gain... But our kids really excel (on their own, in spite of their parents / educators).

You (or anyone) can do it too.

Choices.

Old 07-07-2023, 03:32 PM

Lifelong earnings of those in Skilled trades, does NOT lag lifelong earnings of 'average' College grads.

Life and earnings is very individual, but PLEASE don't consider Skilled trades as "HS ONLY educated'

Those pursuing a career in Skilled trades are not flipping burgers and selling slacks, They never have, they never will.

Apprentices in Skilled trades are making over $50k / yr from age 18, and often well over $80k by age 22. $100k is very easy with the OT a salaried 'professional(?) worker does weekly for FREE. Add 40 yrs to that number and you're talking real $$.

No ONE path suits all.

That's a good thing.

Old 07-07-2023, 04:41 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Agreed. This notion that college is only a path to debt and at best a McJob isn’t supported by facts. No, college isn’t for everyone, but there’s no denying that those with college degrees (when looking at median income) will out earn those without one and they’re less likely to be unemployed.

Just like going into a trade, college is what you make of it.

From the link:

The earnings gap between college graduates and those with less education continues to widen. In 2021, median income for recent graduates reached $52,000 a year for bachelor’s degree holders aged 22–27. For high school graduates the same age, median earnings are $30,000 a year.

Recent college graduates also weathered the Great Recession far better than their peers with a high school diploma. Today, the jobless rate for bachelor’s degree holders is less than 2 percent
This is the giant flaw in the whole college for everyone logic. They've been burning that statistic into school kids since I was in elementary school. All that changes is the numbers. The problem with that logic is twofold. First, not all jobs need a college degree. If some magic occurred and every high school graduate got a college degree, then you'd have college educated burger flippers. Second, and more importantly, not everyone has the same talents and desires. For those kids whose talents are not academic, dragging them through an "everyone must go to college" school system rather than providing vocational opportunities delays their learning those skills at best, and sets them up for academic failure at worst. School systems used to understand this and provided both college prep and vocational tracks.

Old 07-07-2023, 04:48 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I was with our local neighbor kids this week. (in PNW, CO and TX)
They're all doing it.

Working,
Running their own businesses.
Exploring careers (long before HS).

Several are helping their parents build new houses. (Learning to read a tape measure and 'measure twice, cut once')

They will have a great headstart on EDU, trades, career, life...

Yes, I and other parents may have been crackers to invest our lives in our kids, rather than our careers, advancement, or financial gain... But our kids really excel (on their own, in spite of their parents / educators).

You (or anyone) can do it too.

Choices.
They're all doing it.

Somehow I doubt that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education