Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2017, 05:10 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Putin won't agree to the UN on the border of Ukraine, because they would be able to cut off the supply of Russian army in Ukraine. So nothing will change, Russia will stay under sanctions forever to keep Ukraine from integrating with Europe.
If you read the article from FT ( I posted the link earlier,) nothing is preventing Ukraine from integrating in the EU. The DNR and LNR are reorienting their economy to Russia, while the rest of the country is free to do whatever they wish.
The problem is - Ukrainian products are subpar comparably to European, so the kind of "integration" Ukrainians had in mind, where the Western European countries are in a rush to "invest in Ukraine" ( the kind of arrangements the V-4 had ( Poland - Chekhoslovakia) is nowhere on the horizon. Instead, it looks like a Bulgarian version of integration is in place. What *Western economists* really want to do, is to raid in, buying the land ( which has one of the most fertile soils.) They want Ukraine gov. to stop subsidizing their industry and to privatize the state enterprises ( so they'd be taken over by Western corporations.) With other words Ukraine is getting a taste of what Russians went through back in the 90ies and said "thanks but no thanks."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 07:26 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
I think Russia has been supporting the Novorussians but by very limited means, There were other entities involved, opportunists such as Khazahkistan who enthusiastically emptied warehouses of all sorts of goods to do with war at a profit over all I'm sure. There were the Chechens too.

I think that soon the US will start sending weapons and I fully expect Russia to react appropriately. I see no reason morally or otherwise why she should not. I fully understand what the Novorussians did and why they did it. Chit, it was a matter of self determination to begin with and then after the thugs were released on them it became a matter of dignity and freedom.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:10 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I think Russia has been supporting the Novorussians but by very limited means, There were other entities involved, opportunists such as Khazahkistan who enthusiastically emptied warehouses of all sorts of goods to do with war at a profit over all I'm sure. There were the Chechens too.

I think that soon the US will start sending weapons and I fully expect Russia to react appropriately. I see no reason morally or otherwise why she should not. I fully understand what the Novorussians did and why they did it. Chit, it was a matter of self determination to begin with and then after the thugs were released on them it became a matter of dignity and freedom.
There are no such thing as "Novorussians" anymore. There are separatists who were losing the war until Putin sent in his army in August of 2014. Maybe now they will be better trained and able to stand on their own. The separatists wanted to reintegrate with Russia but the problem they have is they can't serve Putin's interests if they join Russia. Good thing for Putin Kiev is way to stubborn to abandon Donetsk.

No way is the US sending weapons to Ukraine. It was merely a Trump administration empty threat. Get used to those...

Old 09-09-2017, 05:17 AM

536 posts, read 323,392 times
I remember , when I was watching Ukraine vs France game on Euro 2012 . The game was in Donetsk . There was a big downpour before game , and the whole stadium was singing russian anthem . I remember how astonished I was by that . I mean I knew that Ukraine was divided nation , but still i felt kind of sorry for Ukrainian players then . It was pretty unusual situation . Just little over one year later and the revolution in the Ukrainie began .

Old 09-09-2017, 10:25 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Per SNJ article -

"Pavlo Hryb, a 19-y.o. Ukrainian blogger and activist, was reportedly abducted by Russian security agents during his private visit to Belarus."

Now I remember - the "activists," that's how Ukrainian media usually refers to this "moral police" in Ukraine - the kind you see was raiding that business office. ( They didn't like that the picture on that clock on the wall was of Russian parliament.)
So they came to *talk* to the business owner, questioning him why he is using any kind of "symbolic" of an "aggressor that started the war on Ukraine." Hopefully his office is not going to be burned for not being "patriotic" enough.
These "activists" are basically running the country behind the scene - you see them beating people up on the streets, entering business offices ( in the same manner as you saw here) - the "morality police" with other words, that ensures the right kind of patriotism towards the "great Ukrainian state."
The regular police usually looks the other way in these cases.
See quoted text below. Perhaps someone could point to the statute and translate. Sounds like BS. The statute seems overly broad:"a range of anti (Russian) government actions" Yet this individual has never even been to Russia! His supposed crimes occurred beyond Russian jurisdiction.

But the copy of the FSB letter states the specific allegation that Hryb faces: abetting terrorism, punishable by up to 10 years in prison. The statute cited in the letter covers recruitment, persuasion, and other efforts to involve another person in terrorism or a range of other antigovernment actions.

Read more on UNIAN: https://www.unian.info/society/21246...sia-media.html

Old 09-09-2017, 04:05 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPreussen View Post
I remember , when I was watching Ukraine vs France game on Euro 2012 . The game was in Donetsk . There was a big downpour before game , and the whole stadium was singing russian anthem . I remember how astonished I was by that . I mean I knew that Ukraine was divided nation , but still i felt kind of sorry for Ukrainian players then . It was pretty unusual situation . Just little over one year later and the revolution in the Ukrainie began .
How much do you get paid to lie? Or is this a fun diversion to attack Ukraine like this. The nice thing about Youtube is its ability to deconstruct Russian propaganda. During that game the Ukrainian anthem was played, people sang and cheered to it. The crowd was excited after Ukraine beat Sweden in the opening match.

This idea of division inside Ukraine is a Russian lie perpetuated to cover its invasion and assault. Sure there were pro Russian Ukrainians but they ain't no more. You aren't going to convince Americans on here that Ukrainians want to live in a corrupt Russian style country just like you couldn't convince Ukrainians this in 2013. Putin's invasion will go down in history as the driving force pushing Ukraine to the West and away from Russia. Own it.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:11 PM

536 posts, read 323,392 times
Quote:
How much do you get paid to lie? Or is this a fun diversion to attack Ukraine like this. The nice thing about Youtube is its ability to deconstruct Russian propaganda. During that game the Ukrainian anthem was played, people sang and cheered to it. The crowd was excited after Ukraine beat Sweden in the opening match.

This idea of division inside Ukraine is a Russian lie perpetuated to cover its invasion and assault. Sure there were pro Russian Ukrainians but they ain't no more. You aren't going to convince Americans on here that Ukrainians want to live in a corrupt Russian style country just like you couldn't convince Ukrainians this in 2013. Putin's invasion will go down in history as the driving force pushing Ukraine to the West and away from Russia. Own it.
OK , i've checked it , and I can't really find anything like that , I must have got it really mixed up but I was sure I heard the russian anthem then . If I was mistaken , then I am really sorry . Anyway , by no means was I trying to attack Ukraine or its people nor do I support Putin's actions in Ukraine . Ukraine is great country with people who try to move closer to Europe and its democratic system . I wish them well . And I hope they will be able to do ordnung with their country , and that we will see them in the European Union in the future .

Old 09-09-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
See quoted text below. Perhaps someone could point to the statute and translate. Sounds like BS. The statute seems overly broad:"a range of anti (Russian) government actions" Yet this individual has never even been to Russia! His supposed crimes occurred beyond Russian jurisdiction.

But the copy of the FSB letter states the specific allegation that Hryb faces: abetting terrorism, punishable by up to 10 years in prison. The statute cited in the letter covers recruitment, persuasion, and other efforts to involve another person in terrorism or a range of other antigovernment actions.

Read more on UNIAN: https://www.unian.info/society/21246...sia-media.html
My guess would be - it had anything and everything to do with his posts in "Vkontakte"

Old 09-09-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
It does as good of a job of deconstructing Ukrainian propaganda as well.

Quote:
Are you all that sure?

https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-ap...ap-k.jpg&w=480

Even if Ukrainians ( Eastern Ukrainians in particular) were not thrilled to live in "corrupt Russian style country," that doesn't mean that they wanted to live in a new nationalist state, where Western provinces were enforcing their beliefs on the rest of the country.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:10 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
My guess would be - it had anything and everything to do with his posts in "Vkontakte"
A major thought-terrorist...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe