Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2020, 09:43 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,446,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Exports to the EU in 2019 exceeded 25 billion dollars, more than Russia ever bought.
Good. They're still importing more than they're exporting though and it doesn't look good. Maybe with time it will get better but don't hold your breath. Ukraine is going to have a tough time competeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2020, 08:14 PM

1,348 posts, read 625,993 times
Railway stations and trains of Russia and Ukraine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tn0WwADfZM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgFF9Q6u1nQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfBCsVh1Ln8

Old 02-19-2020, 08:23 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Good. They're still importing more than they're exporting though and it doesn't look good. Maybe with time it will get better but don't hold your breath. Ukraine is going to have a tough time competeing.

Not so "good" Scrat.
From what I understand, the IMF is stubbornly planning to turn Ukraine into the "agricultural appendix" of the West first of all ( plus supplier of other raw materials, since these are the main Ukrainian exports -

"The main Ukraine exports are raw materials (iron, steel, mining products, agricultural products),"

So basically the same shtick that the West was trying to pull through with Russia back in the 90ies, ( only in Russian case the interest was in gas and oil, primarily.)

And that means the closure of industrial enterprises/factories ( deemed "unproductive" from Western point of view,) people thrown out on the streets and doomed to die out ( in case of Russia) or forced to migrate in search of jobs to Poland or Russia (by now) in case of Ukraine.
And that's why their population keeps on shrinking, since in order to satisfy Western plans, only so many people should be left in Ukraine to serve the purpose of agricultural appendix, and to show the "rising GDP, PPP, shmi-di-pi" and what's not.

In other news - all 144 Russians that returned from Wuhan, China, went through quarantine in Siberia, all are given clean bill of health, and are heading home.

All participants are giving thumbs up in terms of food, medical service and organization of quarantine overall.
Without faking it - they look genuinely happy; some are even planning to stay in Siberia for couple of days longer, to have a sightseeing. So the military operation was a success - that's what it looks like, even though it was "all propaganda" ( according to DKM)

(From approx. 2:13)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sezz7xXdEM0&t=433s

In Ukraine meanwhile.. It's a whole different story.

The plane is supposed to bring back that youth stranded in Wuhan today- tomorrow ( they are still not back yet.)
But then the question still remained WHERE to place them for quarantine, and when three possible locations were announced, the locals ( both authorities and inhabitants) started protesting against it, since they didn't receive any adequate funding or equipment to deal with it.

( There was even *block-post* ( sounds familiar?) organized to preclude this arrival from happening.
( I think it was Lvov region in particular. And - minding you, it's not just the group of "Eastern Ukrainians" they are rejecting - I see both Ukr.-speaking and Russian speakers among that "Wuhan group." )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HR7mMY12zQ

Last edited by erasure; 02-19-2020 at 08:42 PM..

Old 02-20-2020, 08:36 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
The actual quote is this: "The main Ukraine exports are raw materials (iron, steel, mining products, agricultural products), chemical products and machinery." This has been the same since forever. But you wanted to cut off the last part and make it sound bad.

As Ukraine's economy grows it increases trade with Europe every year since that dreaded deal was signed. It's very inconvenient for Russians to downplay this but you gave a good effort. Blaming Europe for the east of Ukraine's depopulation is a bit cynical when it's clearly Russia's military adventure at fault. What is the cause of Belarus population decline? Seems it should all be great there with energy subsidized and trade links with Russia.

Old 02-20-2020, 11:40 AM

Jesus...
They are having mass protests there, ( if not to say riots) in Poltava, Central part of Ukraine.
The National Guard is called in...
All because those 98 Ukrainians evacuated from China finally landed in and are heading on a bus for 14 days quarantine to Poltava)))

The Nationalists, the Right sector et al are participating in these protests..
This is getting very... medieval - that's the only way I can put it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4snnw8hkJM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHQNJv_0fPY

Russian journalists ( and bloggers on both sides of the border) are in shock.
So am I to be honest.

I think president Zelensky had to go there personally. ( I am following the story.)

P.S. I will comment on your "GDP, PPP, growing trade with Europe" and the rest of usual la-la later, DKM..

Last edited by erasure; 02-20-2020 at 12:01 PM..

Old 02-20-2020, 12:54 PM

Populations under stress and having no trust in authority can get medieval. Those people have enough problems, they don't need more from where they stand. The people are scared and you do have to question the decision to take them there. Kiev should have the facilities to handle this even in the dire conditions prevailing in the country.

Do they have anything like the medical facilities necessary in Poltava?

Old 02-20-2020, 01:08 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,236,535 times
I can not understand it. People evacuated from a foreign country and returned to their homeland, they are scared and need help. But insults and stones fly in them. People are hiding under bus seats, a woman covers children from stones.

t.me/skabeeva/2717

erasure correct, this is precisely the Middle Ages. It remains only to wait until the fires are lit.

Old 02-20-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Populations under stress and having no trust in authority can get medieval. Those people have enough problems, they don't need more from where they stand. The people are scared and you do have to question the decision to take them there. Kiev should have the facilities to handle this even in the dire conditions prevailing in the country.

Do they have anything like the medical facilities necessary in Poltava?

This will be my partial answer to DKM as well, who is counting "GDP, PPP, shmi-di pee" and pointing me at "growing exports" of some "Ukrainian machinery" ( what machinery exactly? ) to EU.

I just watched this video yesterday from Sharij - about the unstoppable destruction of healthcare system in Ukraine, started under the Dr. Death, American-born Ulana Suprun and continued under Zelensky, under the watchful eye of IMF.

They are closing the clinics and hospitals all over Ukraine in rural areas, forcing people to travel 100 km without having cars ( or roads for this matter.)

Maternity wards, infectious deseases departments - no matter.

There was the mass protest in Sh. latest video, with the area of 51(!)K of population, where they were closing such local hospital, where few doctors and nurses ( or whatever was left of them) were still willing to serve the public for meager salaries of 5,000 grivnas.

DKM just doesn't understand what it is - to be one of these people, while counting his GDP and PPPs.

But while I am watching it - for me it's like Russia back in the 90ies, deja vue.

No wonder they are throwing stones at that youth and mothers with children, heading their way from Wuhan.
I mean if they'll be struck with some epidemic disease on top of ongoing disasters - they stand no chance at this point.

A. Sharij "Fifteen million slaves, or why the hospitals are closing down."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVB6nzQNC-o

Old 02-20-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
But while I am watching it - for me it's like Russia back in the 90ies, deja vue.
I'll go further back. Nazi Germanys Plan Ost. Germany had few reasons to go to war with the USSR, besides idiology the was the need to create opportunity for German interests. Make no mistake of it, the Nazis were in power at the sufferance of certain powerful entities and their interests. Those "entities" required opportunities and in the highly restricted European arena there was only one direction for them to go to create those opportunities. East. Into the lands of the Slavs, as it has always been.

I really think we're looking at a modern version of Plan Ost. As you stated in the past one of the requirements is to cut the percieved "dead weight" from the endeavor. Can you think of a more efficient way to do business?

If I'm to believe some of the material I'm seeing this can't be anything else.

Old 02-20-2020, 08:31 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
Russian internet trolls succeeding in spreading panic in a village about possibly infected people going to quarantine. Congrats, it still works. I see that your media was all there ready for it too.

Still upset about the latest trade numbers? Trade is up with the world and down with Russia. What did you expect? You mean you actually believed when Kremlin propaganda 4 years ago said the west would not want to buy Ukrainian exports? Sour grapes that Ukraine is working its way into Europe's supply chain now? Who's problem is that... Why do you care what kind of Ukraine manufactured products are purchased by Europe. You'll either deny it or find a way to spin it as a negative. Yes the factories that used to produce parts for Russian military are shrinking their output. Out of date Soviet hospitals are consolidating? This same thing is happening in Russia but you aren't in their thread moaning about it.

If you're so worried about eastern Ukrainian depopulation tell Vova to put the guns down, he lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe