Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 08:50 AM

435 posts, read 420,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCarr View Post
I am sure that many in the former Soviet Union were a little insulted and embarrassed when all the areas split off from them with the breakup of the old USSR and some have always wanted to somehow reverse that situation. So it should come as no surprise if they jump at the chance to get the Crimea back, even holding a special "election" to prove the citizens hidden love for Mother Russia. I am sure that the citizens of the Crimea area are feeling a little "persuaded" to vote pro Russia, with all the Russian troops with guns roaming around, and 1/2 of their navy, consisting of old Russian ships, being turned into the permanent Lake Patrol.

Ukraine is not part of Nato and I don't think there will be any action by the rest of the big players to stop Russia, kind of an unwritten rule among the big boys to talk strong, but respect the power of the powerful. Putin has the right, as do all nations, to place troops anywhere in his country that he sees fit. But when they roll into Crimea just like they still own the place, that is where the problem arises. Also, in all reality, I do not see them being able to restore the old President to power, so I hope that guy is thinking about his exit plan. If Russia wants to win the hearts and minds of Ukraine, they can start by cancelling their support for the former President and helping find and return to Ukraine the large sums he stole. Much support could be won by doing that, but I know they would never do that unless there were so many strings attached that the "gift" may not be very welcome.
Yes, now Putin thought up a new justification.
He told the head of Tatars Dzhemilev that Ukraine illegally left structure of the USSR: )

And it as "the fair emperor", corrects now this "illegality"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 09:27 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,618,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by From Ukraine View Post
About China...
China has very diplomatic position, but I he think supports Russia certainly more.
But here Russia has to think, how many it will cost to it in the future: )

Study ethnic structure of Russia (namely the Siberian region). There 80% of the population are Chinese. Therefore in the future China will take a payment for support of Russia in the form of part of its earth in Siberia: )
Chinese there are few indeed. In my area, they are virtually absent. So do not say that you do not know. This theme does not concern.Study history! Kuril Islands have always belonged Rossii.Byl short period when they were not all Japanese and only smoked 4 islands. all you learned in school?

Old 03-14-2014, 09:35 AM

38 posts, read 91,749 times
Quote:
Well I think our future already solved: )

What are you smiling at?

"Shoppers in the center of Kiev were out of luck one recent afternoon: A clothing store and a cell phone shop were occupied by black-clad men in masks, and bulletproof vests. Not far away, toughs from the same group patrolled a major Kiev hotel, scaring visitors with their baseball bats, handguns and balaclavas."

Back to the 90-s?

Old 03-14-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
And perhaps it is only a matter of time before the dogs will be unleashed. The conflict obviously has been increased. This does not bode well. Historically, we do know how Russia behaves in the type of situation we are seeing. I could write for pages on the history of brutal Russian occupation of its neighboring countries.
Tell us about a tough occupation of Russia? You compared with the U.S. occupation?

Old 03-14-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Yes, now Putin thought up a new justification.
He told the head of Tatars Dzhemilev that Ukraine illegally left structure of the USSR: )

And it as "the fair emperor", corrects now this "illegality"
You're talking nonsense. show us this interview? longer or you'll tell stories to people here?

Old 03-14-2014, 10:00 AM

471 posts, read 977,430 times
Maybe Russia has a very simple solution in mind that won't require any troops or bloodshed....they will just wait until winter and turn off the natural gas and see how many people suddenly profess their love..! Stock up on firewood now!

Occupation takes many forms. Most "occupations" fail because the Occupier either tries to stomp out all forms of opposition and creates enemies from those who might have been indifferent or friendly or the Occupier actually has good intentions but mistakenly feels that all sides to a conflict will decide just embrace each other and work together for a common good with fairness for all.... People need to be of similar mind and goals for unification to work after a conflict. Don't know if the Ukraine is one of those places....unfortunately...

Old 03-14-2014, 10:05 AM

435 posts, read 420,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen 2013 View Post
What are you smiling at?

"Shoppers in the center of Kiev were out of luck one recent afternoon: A clothing store and a cell phone shop were occupied by black-clad men in masks, and bulletproof vests. Not far away, toughs from the same group patrolled a major Kiev hotel, scaring visitors with their baseball bats, handguns and balaclavas."

Back to the 90-s?
You tell it to me when I live in Kiev and I walk its streets every day? )

Leave this silly promotion for the friends, and you don't tell this nonsense to inhabitants of Kiev.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:12 AM

84 posts, read 87,587 times
Default Crimea and Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
How about China, the US's lovely trade partner, with their numerous immigrants?
I agree with you. To use ethnic principles in the international politic in XXI century is a mistake. The age of empires is in the past.

My grandfather was a Ukrainian. And I don't approve Crimeas accession by Russia. Russia is already big. I don't understand what is the new territory for?

Old 03-14-2014, 10:12 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
No, I'm talking about the 18th century and Up to 18 Novgorod princes released from the Vikings.
Swedes are forced to learn the Swedish language and culture. Russian freed them and created principality Finland which entered the Russian Empire. Fina is now able to speak their own language and culture preserved. So it is better to say thank you. Funny how quickly the West forgets Russian friends and remembers only when it becomes hot.
Ok that now makes more sense and I see what your saying. Although I think you mean Finns were forced to learn the Swedish language and culture not the Swedes were forced to learn the Swedish language!

The funny thing is that the Russians started treating the Finns just as bad, actually probably worse. So I do not think many Finns will thank Russia for saving them!

Russification of Finland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-14-2014, 10:13 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,837,996 times
Another prime example of savagery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffYW3nlBwZk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe