Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 07:59 AM

435 posts, read 420,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
omg FROMUKRAINE stop whining now, it's getting old . Do you want the list of countries whose borders, legally or de facto, changed those last years , out of the sphere of Russian influence for a change :
- Yugoslavia imploded-implosion greatly helped by the poking and prying West- , now there are 7 states instead of one. So 7 times more borders and border guards (save between Slovenia and Croatia who are both members of the EU now). Is that a progress? NO
- Morocco has annexed 4/5 of former Spanish Sahara . Doesn't interest the West because it is a backwater , not interesting for power games
- Israel has annexed a big chunk of Syrian territory and occupies part of officially Palestinian West Bank (hush...hush...)
- South sudan officially separated from North Sudan : the same case as in Crimea, only with the blessings of the UNO because of the government of Khartum, for whatever good or bad reasons, is blacklisted by the West
-Somaliland is a de facto independent state (few people now that Somalia today is partitioned, again a backwater, the West doesn't give a damn). Now what is interesting with Somaliland is that its government is genuinely trying (and relatively succeeding in spite of the fact that it receives no aid from the UNO agencies and the West) to restore order and to escape from the grinding poverty and anarchy of the rest of Somalia...food for thought concerning the Crimean affair....
THIS LIST OF COURSE IS FAR FROM complete (for instance, I didn't explore the apparent impunity of China's rampant annexation of some South China sea islands...) but it should teach you one thing : underneath the Golem of sacrosanct International Law, there are living organisms that are called nations and populations, and one can not for ever revere some arbitrary lines on the map because it was decided 50 years or 100 years ago that they would stand forever, to the expense of .... DOWN TO EARTH REALITY!
And what?
I have to read history and give the country because in the world always there is a war and earth and power redistribution?

very good argument...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 08:02 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
I have to read history and give the country because in the world always there is a war and earth and power redistribution?

Absolutely, stop gazing at your navel, the world doesn't revolve around Ukraine.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:02 AM

847 posts, read 1,180,036 times
Not 20 millions

Old 03-14-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscovite View Post
From Ukraine

You have wrong numbers.
you know everything about Chinese and you don't deny: ) It not my desires, and world regularity: )

And about freedom and "that who against" - I already answered. Let there will be a referendum, and let go to structure of Russia.
I am not sorry.
But not under threats of the weapon and not against the desire...

Old 03-14-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post

Absolutely, stop gazing at your navel, the world doesn't revolve around Ukraine.
You that are sick?

In my country almost there is a war. it is my house. And here the world and that that round it rotates?

Old 03-14-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscovite View Post
From Ukraine

You have wrong numbers.
I won't argue, you know better as the Russian.
But I read that threat quite real, and arrives every year not less than 500 000 Chinese emigrants...
It is reality.

"Border of Russia and China"

Old 03-14-2014, 08:31 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,618,183 times
Quote:
This barbarity in 21 centuries is unacceptable
I've read that this is probably the most serious incident for quite a while in East-West relations as well as relations between Russia and its other former demographic and cultural groups. As we write Russian troops are on the eastern borders no doubt ready to intervene when asked for 'protection' from fascists. Question is perhaps Russia is becoming what it fears?

And we know what they say about 'fiction'...so...

The current troop move into Crimea looks potentially to Moldova, an independent country and former Soviet state, which could be another possible flashpoint and headache for NATO and Europe one day if Kievian scenes regenerate in say Chisinau Square. And maybe things to see: Russian mini-cruisers patrolling just alongside Viking cruise ships into the Danube. Could wind up like a Ripley's Believe It or Not'. I kid not.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:32 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Would you want BBC to acknowledge that the far right organization was the engine behind the militant uprising on Maidan, or that the new government although "not fascist," but is "nationalist lite"?
Then the whole thing of Western support to this "popular uprising" would not look too good. Therefore I am greatful to them that they've acknowledged at least that much, and I am grateful that "The New York Times" gave me an insight how much nationalists are represented now in the new government. I'm glad they've mentioned among other things about A. Parubiy in the new government; this A. Parubiy, mentioned here as you can understand.

Not "needed" - unavoidable under the circumstances.

Can you imagine how poorly Putin would have looked if there wouldn't have been nationalists in the picture, if Russian language wouldn't have been immediately abolished, if East Ukrainians and Crimeans wouldn't have been asking for Russian help and waving Russian flags because of all that? Then NOTHING could have given Putin any trace of legitimacy, but now he has plenty of cards in his hands. The new government, the West Ukrainians have put them in his hands. And believe me, he'll play these cards well.

No, I never stated that Ukraine is still a "Russian territory." What I am rather stating here, is that the US were first in Russia back in the 90ies to do the major damage, and since the plan didn't quite work out, now Ukraine is yet the next attempt to damage Russian interests. Your country is just a card in geopolitical game and will be treated as such.

No-no, I understand what the "majority of Ukrainians" ( just remember not all,) are coming from, but I do see a bigger picture as well. So no, I am not "stuck in the past" at all.

You can take Ukraine out of Russia, but you can't take a Russian out of a Ukrainian. So it's about something more here than just "escaping from the Russian Empire" you see...

You are too young to tell me what I need to "know" or "understand."

What will matter at the end is not who wants what, but what will actually take place in the reality after all.
Alright.

Since when is an old age is a synonym for wisdom and understanding? Is this belief a part of Russian folklore?

Besides, I don't think city data forum discriminates on the ground of age. Therefore, I can tell you whatever I want. I must say, I'm surprised you raised the age "issue". Which brought my attention to the fact that body functions, including the functioning of brain, diminish with age.

Last edited by Rozenn; 03-14-2014 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate

Old 03-14-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
I've read that this is probably the most serious incident for quite a while in East-West relations as well as relations between Russia and its other former demographic and cultural groups. As we write Russian troops are on the eastern borders no doubt ready to intervene when asked for 'protection' from fascists. Question is perhaps Russia is becoming what it fears?

And we know what they say about 'fiction'...so...

The current troop move into Crimea looks potentially to Moldova, an independent country and former Soviet state, which could be another possible flashpoint and headache for NATO and Europe one day if Kievian scenes regenerate in say Chisinau Square. And maybe things to see: Russian mini-cruisers patrolling just alongside Viking cruise ships into the Danube. Could wind up like a Ripley's Believe It or Not'. I kid not.
Well I think our future already solved: )

http://gdb.voanews.com/3B9854E4-97FE...1024_s_cy6.jpg

And on this photo there is no Putin: )

Last edited by Rozenn; 03-14-2014 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: Copyright issues

Old 03-14-2014, 08:44 AM

471 posts, read 977,430 times
I am sure that many in the former Soviet Union were a little insulted and embarrassed when all the areas split off from them with the breakup of the old USSR and some have always wanted to somehow reverse that situation. So it should come as no surprise if they jump at the chance to get the Crimea back, even holding a special "election" to prove the citizens hidden love for Mother Russia. I am sure that the citizens of the Crimea area are feeling a little "persuaded" to vote pro Russia, with all the Russian troops with guns roaming around, and 1/2 of their navy, consisting of old Russian ships, being turned into the permanent Lake Patrol.

Ukraine is not part of Nato and I don't think there will be any action by the rest of the big players to stop Russia, kind of an unwritten rule among the big boys to talk strong, but respect the power of the powerful. Putin has the right, as do all nations, to place troops anywhere in his country that he sees fit. But when they roll into Crimea just like they still own the place, that is where the problem arises. Also, in all reality, I do not see them being able to restore the old President to power, so I hope that guy is thinking about his exit plan. If Russia wants to win the hearts and minds of Ukraine, they can start by cancelling their support for the former President and helping find and return to Ukraine the large sums he stole. Much support could be won by doing that, but I know they would never do that unless there were so many strings attached that the "gift" may not be very welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe