Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2022, 07:19 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
If this war in Ukraine drags on and on, is it a possibility in Russia that a significant anti-war movement will emerge? I know it would not be easy for them to conduct demonstrations due to the likelihood of arrest or reprisal, but at some point if the numbers are large enough, they might surprise the authorities?

The anti-war movement in the US during the Vietnam war was one of the leading reasons the US eventually ended participation in that war. I am simply wondering if there is sentiment in Russia that might go in that direction, especially since Ukraine is a nation with the same roots as the Russians.
Do not count on that. Russian imperial nazism i.e. sense of all around supremacy and superiority towards the world and lesser nations, feeling that Russia has special domination rights is absolutely endemic and all permeating in Russia, all people are affected to some extent. It will take not only a bloody nose but also a broken jaw and 16 missing teeth (figuratively speaking) to de-nazify a Russian. Some very serious defeats and losses in hundreds of thousands + are needed to wake up non existent Russian consciousness. Besides a large chunk of Russia already lives like subsistance cocroaches, they are so poor, sanctions will not make it much worse, all they have TV, der Fuhrer and a sense of pride when Russia invades and kills as it pleases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2022, 08:04 AM

12,441 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
If this war in Ukraine drags on and on, is it a possibility in Russia that a significant anti-war movement will emerge? I know it would not be easy for them to conduct demonstrations due to the likelihood of arrest or reprisal, but at some point if the numbers are large enough, they might surprise the authorities?

The anti-war movement in the US during the Vietnam war was one of the leading reasons the US eventually ended participation in that war. I am simply wondering if there is sentiment in Russia that might go in that direction, especially since Ukraine is a nation with the same roots as the Russians.
Many people in Russia only see what the Russian government wants them to see. The government controls the TV stations and does significant censorship of the internet. So the reality is, many people have no idea of what is going on, and to the extent they hear about this, it's about a small, tactical use of military forces to uproot Nazi-ism in Ukraine - that's the official storyline. So I don't think there will be some kind of large, organic anti-war movement, most people just don't know what's happening there.

There definitely are some people who hear enough through available internet information sources to have a fair understanding, and some of those are protesting. But of those protesting, many are summarily arrested - Putin is always very quick to nip any kind of political opposition or political movement in the bud and just squash it with force - there is never a chance for anything to get going. So between the lack of good information and the heavy repression, no I don't think there will be any significant or long-lived protest movement.

Old 03-04-2022, 09:30 AM

2,216 posts, read 1,022,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Many people in Russia only see what the Russian government wants them to see. The government controls the TV stations and does significant censorship of the internet. So the reality is, many people have no idea of what is going on, and to the extent they hear about this, it's about a small, tactical use of military forces to uproot Nazi-ism in Ukraine - that's the official storyline. So I don't think there will be some kind of large, organic anti-war movement, most people just don't know what's happening there.

There definitely are some people who hear enough through available internet information sources to have a fair understanding, and some of those are protesting. But of those protesting, many are summarily arrested - Putin is always very quick to nip any kind of political opposition or political movement in the bud and just squash it with force - there is never a chance for anything to get going. So between the lack of good information and the heavy repression, no I don't think there will be any significant or long-lived protest movement.
All lies.
I am now calmly watching euronews, all Ukrainian channels and a bunch of things on the Internet. Blocked, outright garbage dumps.

But the so-called civilized world and Ukraine, crushed under the West, is just very actively engaged in cleaning up on the Internet.
Ha, I remembered the blocked US president That's where the true freedom of speech is

Old 03-04-2022, 09:35 AM

See, who is interested, report about a walk from Kharkov. Video from 04.03.2022 . Video of an eyewitness, a man just walks around the city on foot and takes everything on his smartphone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02D1V6Qg-iI

Last edited by Turist; 03-04-2022 at 10:08 AM..

Old 03-04-2022, 09:49 AM

Ukrainian city of Melitopol 04 03 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JKo5sZ1-MA

The man in the video says that the authorities have just left the city. now they have no police or army in the city. They organized themselves into self-defense units to calm the looters. Banks and shops are open, functioning.

Old 03-04-2022, 10:00 AM

12,441 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Yes, the Russian army is just dropping flowers in Ukraine, and Russia is a worker's paradise.

Old 03-04-2022, 10:10 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Yes, the Russian army is just dropping flowers in Ukraine, and Russia is a worker's paradise.
Yes, I saw footage last night of the flowers dropped on Ukrainians in a residential area. Some of the dismembered and profusely bleeding civilians were still able to cry and shout out for their children before dying. Reminds me of the flowers dropped on the bread line in Sarajevo.

Old 03-04-2022, 11:19 AM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Donbass is still the area of the heaviest fighting.

Mariupol is a catastrophe - no food, no electricity, no nothing for civilians.

( From what Basurin is saying, there might be more than 400,000 civilians trapped there. They are not sure.)
So the journalist is asking whether the yesterday's round of negotiations in Belorussia eased the situation and any guarantees came in place to assure the safety of the "green corridor" for civilian to leave Mariupol. (She says both Navoazovsk and Taganrog are ready to take them.)
But Basurin is saying that they don't know who is in charge of those Nazi battalions in Mariupol, that they can negotiate with. Because it's not just the regular Ukrainian troops there, but Azov and the foreign mercenaries. ( I think he mentioned mostly Khorvats and someone else - don't remember now.)

A family ( mother-father-child) escaped from the city and made it through the villages to Novoazovsk. Basurin is saying that they are talking to them, to get a better idea of what's going on in the city.

Volnovakha ( yet another strategic city in Donbass) is completely mined - from wall to wall - by retreating Ukrainian troops/Nationalist battalions. So this slows down the advancement of the LDNR militia. (There are still mostly local soldiers that fight the majority of battles in Donbass. I repeat again that's where the Nationalist Battalions are concentrated too.)

Then she ( Skabejeva) is asking that since some countries officially allowed their mercenaries to go to fight in Ukraine ( I need to check on what countries exactly,) and about 16,000 of them already arrived in Ukraine ( I assume in Donbass area,) Basurin shrugged his shoulders and said that yes, "all this garbage is arriving here," but they are not going to be regarded as POWs and protected according to the international agreements. ( I think Putin already issued an order to not regard them as regular combatants.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8mdeFR_o-0

Last edited by erasure; 03-04-2022 at 11:41 AM..

Old 03-04-2022, 11:34 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TPEHMuvIS4

Old 03-04-2022, 11:43 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QMBd1diZhE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe