Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2014, 11:59 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Why not to the Kievan Rus?
Russian state has most of its roots in Moscow, not in Kiev. It's expansion of Moscow principality (later to be named as Russian kingdom) gave birth to the modern Russian state. Eventually, Moscow swallowed Kiev and Ukraine declaring indigenous population (that's known as Ukrainians today) to be "spoiled", "not quite pure" Russians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 11:59 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,618,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Comrade, I responded to your ridiculous claim today. Back it up. Also, share your studies of US geopolitics with us, and explain how peaceful Russia managed to grab 1/8th of planetary surface if all it ever did - defending itself against evil enemies, going all way back to Moscow principality?
Most of the land were joined voluntarily, unlike the U.S.. We live for many centuries in the world with 190 nationalities.Why you have not explored this land? Afraid of these places and cold. So your point is not political correctness.In Russia was not the occupation in most cases. It was assimilation.
We first abolished slavery, we first gave women the right, we have created Europe's first democratic constitution, we lived for many years without racism. Now compare with the country.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Russian state has most of its roots in Moscow, not in Kiev. It's expansion of Moscow principality (later to be named as Russian kingdom) gave birth to the modern Russian state. Eventually, Moscow swallowed Kiev and Ukraine declaring indigenous population (that's known as Ukrainians today) to be "spoiled", "not quite pure" Russians.
This is your knowledge of history?You know why Ukrainians called Ukrainians?
And you said that you know the history of my country better than I do. Believe me I know your history and Europe and no worse than their own. Questions for you no more!

Last edited by GreyKarast; 03-16-2014 at 12:13 PM..

Old 03-16-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
Most of the land were joined voluntarily, unlike the U.S..
Nope.The rise of Moscow was a very bloody, treacherous enterprise. What's more outrageous is the fact that Moscovites (who later privatized Russian label) "privatized" history of Kiev' Rus too, and declared themselves to be the "Russians" of the highest purity, the only true heirs of Kievan Rus confederation.

As for peaceful coexistence, not so simple either, it's peaceful up to the point when conquered indigenous tribes demand more space for their culture and language (thus becoming "fascists" automatically). Considering that the bulk of those 109 nationalities Russians coexist with are Russified and have no trace of their ancestral culture/language remaining in them, how is that any different from USA? Except that USA almost never used state coercion and force to assimilate people, unlike Russia.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:14 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times
It is very true that Czarist Russia was an imperialist and expansionist state. All of Siberia north of Chinese Manchuria used to belong to Qing China, and so was a huge chunk of western Sino-Russian border (used to be part of the Qing too). In fact, Russia has more territory seized from China than anyone else.

Despite my sympathies with what the people of Crimea want, I do have to say that the Russian Far East should return to China someday, just like the Crimea should return to Russia. In due time,Russia, your time will come.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
This is your knowledge of history?You know why Ukrainians called Ukrainians?
And you said that you know the history of my country better than I do. Believe me I know your history and Europe and no worse than their own. Questions for you no more!
I eagerly anticipate your stories about Austrian General Staff that invented Ukrainians and Ukrainian language. A label "Ukraine" was and is highly erroneous self-identification label. Ukrainians gave up the label "Rus" and "Russian" in the Moscovite hands, and that was a huge mistake.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Nope.The rise of Moscow was a very bloody, treacherous enterprise. What's more outrageous is the fact that Moscovites (who later privatized Russian label) "privatized" history of Kiev' Rus too, and declared themselves to be the "Russians" of the highest purity, the only true heirs of Kievan Rus confederation.

As for peaceful coexistence, not so simple either, it's peaceful up to the point when conquered indigenous tribes demand more space for their culture and language (thus becoming "fascists" automatically). Considering that the bulk of those 109 nationalities Russians coexist with are Russified and have no trace of their ancestral culture/language remaining in them, how is that any different from USA? Except that USA almost never used state coercion and force to assimilate people, unlike Russia.
Russian Laibach? What do you mean? Do not you know that he Byzantine?
You know very little about the local people in Russia and especially about accession to the Russian land. advise you to read the true story, not a story that is written in the United States. In Russia, so far, most residents live there where they lived forever. And still preserve their language and culture, and in most cases it is due to Russian.

As for the U.S., both at the expense of millions of Indians and blacks?

Last edited by GreyKarast; 03-16-2014 at 12:30 PM..

Old 03-16-2014, 12:24 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,234,324 times
Quote:
You are mistaken. Russia was formed in Great Novgorod (the Rurik dynasty). Then Rurikovichi captured Kiev and made it the capital of Russia. Moscow became the capital of Russia much later (there again rules the Rurik dynasty).

Old 03-16-2014, 12:25 PM

How about an answer, why Ukrainians called Ukrainians?you said it is not so pure Russian?

Old 03-16-2014, 12:26 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,234,324 times
And Russia has reached its greatest prosperity when the capital was St. Petersburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe