Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2014, 11:47 AM

102 posts, read 106,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Yikes...another 'referendum' coming up? The Crimea just had one. Kharkiv, Donetsk, next up?
Our local authorities were afraid. Although they have reason to fear.
Kiev has already arrested the leaders from Donetsk and Lugansk. Leaders from Kharkiv are threatened with criminal prosecution.
Every day people requires a referendum in the East. At least they want federalization.

Yesterday in Kharkiv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hno82sA26io

Last edited by sw1992; 03-17-2014 at 11:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 11:57 AM

5,790 posts, read 5,103,944 times
The Europeans and the US were very foolish to push the envelope with the Ukraine. They were hoping to create another color revolution in the Ukraine, at the doorstep of Russia. But what they did not realize is that the Russian bear is not sick, or at least, it still has a bite and will not hesitate to use its teeth. Now the Europeans and the US are whistling in the dark, announcing their target sanction in freezing the accounts of specific individuals "responsible" for threatening the safety of the Ukraine. Imagine these handful of people, with such superpower strength to actually "threaten" the safety of a whole country!

I am not Ukrainian or Russian, but I find this ridiculous farce, instigated by the West and now taken full advantage of by Russia, to be a real eye-opener. Putin is a real strongman, though I am not sure how good his moves are for Russia in the long term. But the Ukraine is done...and the West essentially is a paper tiger in front of Russia, at least for now.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:35 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,871,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1992 View Post
Congratulations to the Crimea with freedom! East Ukraine welcomes the decision of the Crimea.

Our leaders jailed and threatened with criminal prosecution for thoughts about freedom, but I think people in the East will find a way to defend their rights.

Today, the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry said that Russian is not an indigenous people in Ukraine.
??????? ? ??? - ???????? - ??? ???????

We will explain this wiseacre from new-Kiev that they are wrong. And Russia will help us.
'Freedom' has not been achieved yet and if 'Freedom' is achieved it will result in a complete disaster for them.

ALREADY America and Europe have introduced sanctions.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
Thank you! Exactly. There's also a Sunday!
It was only 7pm here then.

And I don't think this will be a very successful annexation.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
And didn't many pro-Ukrainian Crimeans boycott this referendum?

Also, did this referendum even have a "No" option on it?
The BBC said that it was boycotted yes and that there was no option to 'decline' the referendum. I think it was to change it to something else.

Its hardly a lawful referendum.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:52 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,150 times
Quote:
Our local authorities were afraid. Although they have reason to fear.
Kiev has already arrested the leaders from Donetsk and Lugansk. Leaders from Kharkiv are threatened with criminal prosecution.
Every day people requires a referendum in the East. At least they want federalization.
I can only niote that there are many countries who were in the former Soviet Union and are now sovereign countries with ethnic Russian populations. Ukraine being one of them. Crimea is lost. The East? We do not know.

I put to you that if the same occurs in Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, etc. will it give Putin carte blanche reason to invade? You see? This is a problem that will never ever go away. If 'force' is called in to solve these 'protection' issues in SOVEREIGN countries it will trap Europe, the Russia in a vicious cycle of contemplating the use of force, sanctions etc etc.

This is a dangerous road we are now on.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:09 PM

435 posts, read 420,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
'Freedom' has not been achieved yet and if 'Freedom' is achieved it will result in a complete disaster for them.

We have to give them which freedom they so want: )
Especially Lugansk and Donetsk simply dream of it.
Inhabitants of the East of Ukraine are convinced that they always were sponsors of the center and the West of Ukraine.
These ridiculous people of concept have no as actually affairs with east industry in Ukraine are.
It will be for them a good lesson in the future: )

Therefore I support a referendum in the east. There is a region in which there live 50% of ethnic Russians. Therefore let they come back home: )

Old 03-17-2014, 01:18 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,086 times
Quote:
I can only niote that there are many countries who were in the former Soviet Union and are now sovereign countries with ethnic Russian populations. Ukraine being one of them. Crimea is lost. The East? We do not know.

I put to you that if the same occurs in Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, etc. will it give Putin carte blanche reason to invade? You see? This is a problem that will never ever go away. If 'force' is called in to solve these 'protection' issues in SOVEREIGN countries it will trap Europe, the Russia in a vicious cycle of contemplating the use of force, sanctions etc etc.

But none of those countries are of geo-political importance like Crimea is. Russia does not care about them, they are in no way a vital national security interest like Crimea (and to an extent, some other areas of Ukraine) is.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:21 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,534,034 times
Quote:

You need to understand that Russia as a country started with Ukraine and since the two were one country for 300 years or so, (after re-unification) it's difficult to make a "straight cut" where Ukraine culturally ends and Russia begins.
That's why there are gazillion of Ukrainians living in Russia and plenty of Russians living in Ukraine. Baltic countries - that's a whole different story.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:30 PM

102 posts, read 106,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post

Do not scare the Crimea. Now Russia has become closer for South and East than the new Kiev government. Any problems do not scare us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe