Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2014, 03:40 PM

435 posts, read 420,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1992 View Post
Parliamentarians from the fraction party "Svoboda" didn't like that in the National Television Company of Ukraine worked "not only ethnic Ukrainians" and was shown a few tiny films about the referendum in the Crimea.
They beat the director and he was forced to write a letter of resignation.
I too saw today this video.
The same handwriting as at Sasha Bely (you remember)?
Recently I have such impression that "Svobody" сливают
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 04:43 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
If you lived in Crimea and were opposed to Russia's annexation, would you make plans to leave immediately or wait and see how things turn out?

Old 03-18-2014, 04:49 PM

278 posts, read 277,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
If you lived in Crimea and were opposed to Russia's annexation, would you make plans to leave immediately or wait and see how things turn out?
That's a personal decision. It's not like Mexico-USA, more like Canada.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:11 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveYOU2 View Post
That's a personal decision. It's not like Mexico-USA, more like Canada.
What do you mean?

Old 03-18-2014, 05:25 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
What do you mean?
I guess he/she means that both countries (Ukraine and Russia) are not that different. I would be wary of assuming that nothing will happen because those countries are "not that different" (e.g. Serbs and Croats).

Old 03-18-2014, 05:49 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times

Old 03-18-2014, 06:17 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
How in the world does anyone think there is "someone next"? Seems just to justify the hype over this issue.

The Crimea has been a special case for twenty years now, and now everyone thinks this is going to expand to some larger issue, even though they have zero proof of it doing so. And as I stated before, who in the heck would want to be part of Ukraine? Ukraine, poor country with two revolts on the last ten years and a poor quality of life.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:48 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Nonsense, the image is spot on. Russians have been bulling their neighbors for a long time.

And ok, Ukraine is poor. So what? Does that devalue the country? And how much of that poverty was caused by the Soviet Union, and more recently, Russia itself?

Old 03-18-2014, 08:44 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
My apologies, ma'am.

This is the question I'd like to ask YOU, my friend!

As I said before, I'm all about giving people a choice. It's up to an individual, if they want to clean toilets or not, being it for Germans, French or RUSSIANS, for that matter.

If somebody doesn't want to clean toilets, they should try to find a job of their dreams. If somebody wants to clean toilets and is happy, there is nothing wrong with this choice. A job is a job.
Therefore you are saying that Poles and Balts are doing menial jobs in Europe because that's exactly what they want to do?
They do it precisely because they don't have too many choices left - neither in their own countries where their own industries have been practically destroyed, nor in Europe where that's the kind of jobs they are hired for. Better jobs go to the "natives" first, and why shouldn't they? Menial jobs are for the Europeans of the "second sort," to which Ukrainians will belong.
So Eastern Ukrainians see the practical side of it, the reality of all your so-called "choices" that you are talking about, and they don't want to be part of it, particularly that their industry, where many of them are now employed, is going to be hit first.

Quote:
Absolutely! As long as it is what they want.
Then West Ukraine and East Ukraine should split and go their separate way. It's only natural.

Quote:
However, watching those people waving Soviet flags with the image of Stalin on them, I'm not sure what their expectations are after joining Russia. Because this Russia doesn't exist anymore (oh wait, does it?).
No it doesn't - Putin only shrewdly plays his game.

Quote:
When tomorrow hits, it may hit 'em hard.
People with this mindset in Ukraine are between the rock and the hard place, but after all they are better off with Russia, since their mentality is as close as it gets.

Quote:
You always forget (naturally?) about the younger generation(s). They don't have this attachment to the Soviet-era past. Those young people will never accept any attempts to turn the clock back, as hard as Der Fuehrer tries. For these young people, the past is dead. It's over, and will never come back.
It's not like younger people don't take part in those pro-Russian protests; don't forget they were raised by their families. Those who don't want anything to do with it were raised by different kind of families - like yours or mine most likely.

Quote:
Those people waving Soviet flags that you care so much about are already dead! Dead people trying to hold onto their long gone dead past.
People do that, when they don't see much good in their present or future. I feel for them, although I am of different background.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:23 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,234,324 times
In general, the events in Ukraine are very similar to the events in Russia in 1917. I wonder where this will lead and who will come instead of the Bolsheviks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe