Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2015, 02:45 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Ukraine also is in the top 25 (20th I think) largest military in the world, with over 100k troops and over 4000 tanks, and a mobilization component of millions of people, now tell me; how in the world can a country with millions of people and thousands of tanks and self propelled artillery, cannot manage to crush such a small rebel movement?
Lol no. Ukraine has completely neglected its army in the last 10 years or so. Of the supposed 4000 tanks, well, they are here:
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...v_2840068k.jpg
http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/...ain-462850.jpg

Rusting away since the fall of the Soviet Union. Of the modernised T-84 tanks Ukraine has 15 vehicles. The Ukrainian military has a chronic lack of everything possible, and it's definitely not the force you depict it to be. The force might look mighty on paper, but the reality is that most of Ukraine's equipment is nothing but scrap metal.

For example, Ukraine had on paper 300 attack and transport helicopters. It is believed that only some 35 of them were even able to get in the air at the beginning of the conflict.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 02:52 AM

49 posts, read 73,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
Ukrainian army doesn't want to fight because there are a lot of russians in? Or they just don't think the war is legitimate?
The second option is more correct.
But what makes you think Ukrainian army doesn't want to fight? It can't because otherwise the whole world would blame AND SANCTION us instead of Russians.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:56 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,406,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
LOL! Every article on this clearly states Putin convinced the separatists to agree to a cease fire.
I'm sure you believe that!

Old 02-13-2015, 06:56 AM

827 posts, read 630,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by povar81 View Post
The second option is more correct.
But what makes you think Ukrainian army doesn't want to fight? It can't because otherwise the whole world would blame AND SANCTION us instead of Russians.
I think they don't want to fight because they don't fight.
For the moment, all western governement support Ukraine and sanction Russia. For which reasons they should sanctions you? Ukraine have the right to send his army in a part of his territory. If he soldiers are attacks they can defends themself.
And honestly, they can make some big operations without troubles, they already did some.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:08 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times
Re:
"Lithuanian jsut wants to hype things up so NATO money gets spent in their country. They would love nothing more than for NATO to spend billions for maintaining defense in the country"

I'd think Lithuania speaks from experience. They're already behind the 8 ball with Russia after signing a treaty of friendship with Yeltsin in '91. That treaty also got rid of the notion that Lithuania had agreed to prior annexation by Russia. That was another bit of fiction in line with the 'no Russian troops' in Ukraine.

Russia of course still has its hands in the Baltics. There are cooperation agreements With Putin's United Party and Russia is always concerned with the Russian speaking minorities in the Baltic countries and making sure the UP gets top billing. I'm sure they want to increase the estimated 54%
of Lithuanians who support it. Latvia already shows an astounding 77% and Estonia has 67% for the party. Vlad seems to be sitting pretty in the Baltics. He's now there in Ukraine and the future's open over there in areas that were once Russian lands. Smart fellow. Always keeping the options open.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:53 AM

3,862 posts, read 3,140,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by povar81 View Post
What? Why would it turn on Kiev?
You've got it all wrong about that, I'm, as a Ukrainian, can tell you that, one the reasons that many people don't want to go to war at Donbass, is because they doubt that it's really necessary to keep DNR/LNR in Ukraine, and the other reason is that the government can't declare a full-scale war and keeps calling it 'ATO', so the soldiers can't go with a strong counter-attack, they just have to stay at their positions and defend themselves, without a possibility to advance (with only some exception in Mariupil-Shyrokyne area).

I can only speak for Kiev, but I'm 99% sure that it's the same attitude in the rest of Ukraine, there's no change that our own army would march on ourselves, that's just nonsense.
Very Interesting. If you look on a map the areas trying to secede from Ukraine seems so small in scale in relation to the whole of Ukraine the only reasons that comes to my mind is that the Ukraine government desperately wants to retain control of Donetsk /Luhansk regions because of the natural resources in that region and is afraid that the other regions in the east will also break away if these provinces were allowed to secede. The supreme irony of this situation is that by trying to retain these two breakaway regions by armed force could lead to the destruction of the EU which Ukraine desperately wants to become a member of.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:49 AM

26,773 posts, read 22,521,872 times
There is special place in hell for Poroshenko I'm sure...
After the "peace negotiation" where he felt he lost, Ukrainian army is bombing center of Gorlovka to the ground.
Three children, taking bath before going in bed are gone, ( direct hit,) along with numerous others in town.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=888646204514163

"If I can't have it, I'll destroy it all."

Old 02-13-2015, 11:00 AM

OK, from what I understand, after "peace negotiations" Ukrainian troops were supposed to pull their artillery away to a certain distance from the designated line.
Instead, they've attacked Donetsk and Gorlovka, trying to take revenge for their previous losses and bombed the cities indiscriminately.
What the heck is going on, and who, I wonder Poroshenko talked to, when he rushed out from negotiation room few times?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUs2vMgCkxI

Old 02-13-2015, 11:22 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
What the heck is going on, and who, I wonder Poroshenko talked to, when he rushed out from negotiation room few times?
Ukraine has every right to enforce the law on every inch of Ukranian soil. They can travel anywhere in Ukraine, and kill anyone in Ukraine if they are trying to take Ukrainian land.

And you don't give a damn about peace treaties; Russia promised to never challenge Ukrainian boundaries in exchange for 1,200 nuclear weapons in Ukraine's posession following the end of the Cold War, yet now Russian forces illegally occupy Crimea and are currently controlling parts of Eastern Ukraine. Of course Russia now also controls the nuclear weapons that Ukraine foolishly gave up in exchange for supposed "peace". It shows that negotiations with Putin are useless.

Obviously any Russian soldier or Russian proxy in Crimea or the Donbass can be legally shot on site, as they are invaders. It's no different than if there were Ukrainian tanks in Moscow. Russia would have every right to kill the invaders. Russia respects no treaty. They didn't respect the original treaty, they didn't respect the ceasefire, and they won't respect this ceasefire. It is just an excuse to delay a Western military response, which is inevitable.

As long as there is even one Russian in Crimea or the Donbass, they will be targets, and for good reason. This will not end until Russia leaves (probably not until Putin is overthrown).

Old 02-13-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Ukraine has every right to enforce the law on every inch of Ukranian soil. They can travel anywhere in Ukraine, and kill anyone in Ukraine if they are trying to take Ukrainian land.
NOLA you can stop right there, because it's precisely this attitude that led to today's situation.
It's precisely the attitude of Ukrainian nationalists who felt they had the right to kill anyone that were not "Ukrainian" enough on "every inch of Ukrainian soil."
Me on another hand - I am for "European values." The kind these murderers bombing civilians indiscriminantly claim to have, but they clearly don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe