Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 02:07 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,228,964 times

Advertisements

https://pp.vk.me/c622820/v622820577/...VPsqyTutJ4.jpg

Most likely, you can say goodbye to the Minsk agreements...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 02:46 PM

602 posts, read 495,659 times
An interesting series of pictures that shows the utter destruction of Debaltseve by the separatists and Russian soldiers in Eastern Ukraine. Be warned, some of the pictures are gruesome:

Ukraine: Escape from Debaltseve | EurasiaNet.org

quote from the article:

Quote:
The focal point of hostilities in recent weeks was the rail junction town of Debaltseve. Inside the town during the height of the fighting, civilians endured dire conditions. Facing constant shelling, over 80 percent of the town’s 25,000 inhabitants fled the area. The fighting caused widespread destruction to buildings and other property; the bodies of civilians and combatants lay where they fell in the streets, frozen solid in the cold weather.

Last edited by TheDentist; 03-16-2015 at 02:55 PM..

Old 03-16-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
https://pp.vk.me/c622820/v622820577/...VPsqyTutJ4.jpg

Most likely, you can say goodbye to the Minsk agreements...
Yeah, I wonder what will happen next?

Old 03-16-2015, 04:25 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times
Barracks burning in Konstantinovka. Reportedly the APC driver was drunk and it's quite possible but unverified.

LiveLeak.com - #KONSTANTINOVKA? enraged crowd continues to engage the Nazi #Ukraine army. UA army barracks set on fire

Quote:
Yeah, I wonder what will happen next?
Russia is holding nation wide military snap drills of all their forces. You may just get your wish. Russia is not backing down. This situation is a whole hell of a lot like the start of WWI.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Barracks burning in Konstantinovka. Reportedly the APC driver was drunk and it's quite possible but unverified.

LiveLeak.com - #KONSTANTINOVKA? enraged crowd continues to engage the Nazi #Ukraine army. UA army barracks set on fire

Russia is holding nation wide military snap drills of all their forces. You may just get your wish. Russia is not backing down. This situation is a whole hell of a lot like the start of WWI.
I wish for peace, and I am not really worried about Russias military drills.

Russia is a petrostate, and therefore it is only aggressive towards it neighbors, when the prices for a barrel of crude oil is high.

This is exemplified in 1979, when Soviet invaded Afghanistan, in 2008 when Russia invaded Georgia and in primo 2014 when Russia invaded Ukraine. All these invasions have in common that they happened while oil prices peaked. Right now, the oil prices are exceptionally low which means Russia cannot afford being aggressive. In fact, I expect Russia to be very forthcoming towards the West in the immediate future (which is probably the reason why Obama didn't find it necessary to arm the Ukranian army with lethal weaponry like Javelin missiles).

Here's a link to a the academic paper that explains how petrostates fundamentally works:
http://www.iie.com/publications/wp/wp14-3.pdf

Old 03-16-2015, 06:23 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDentist View Post
I wish for peace, and I am not really worried about Russias military drills.

Russia is a petrostate, and therefore it is only aggressive towards it neighbors, when the prices for a barrel of crude oil is high.

This is exemplified in 1979, when Soviet invaded Afghanistan, in 2008 when Russia invaded Georgia and in primo 2014 when Russia invaded Ukraine. All these invasions have in common that they happened while oil prices peaked. Right now, the oil prices are exceptionally low which means Russia cannot afford being aggressive. In fact, I expect Russia to be very forthcoming towards the West in the immediate future (which is probably the reason why Obama didn't find it necessary to arm the Ukranian army with lethal weaponry like Javelin missiles).

Here's a link to a the academic paper that explains how petrostates fundamentally works:
http://www.iie.com/publications/wp/wp14-3.pdf
Not to nitpick, but, the USSR was invited into Afghanistan by the at time leader to combat against an insurgency to overthrow the government. Russia responded to an attack by Georgia, in which the OSCE even laid the blame for the conflict on Georgia.

I do not think Obama is arming Ukraine because of politics, the US domestic issue of basically giving away millions of dollars worth of weapons, and not wanting to escalate the conflict. In my opinion, I do not think the current administration really trusts the Ukrainian leadership.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:39 PM

If you want to open your mouth Dentist at least get your facts straight. Babrak Karmal and his government signed a treaty in 1978 that allowed for the USSR to enter the country to help in the fight against the Islamic insurgents. At the request of the Afghan government. They requested small groups of special forces and advisers all throughout 1979 until December when they asked for everything they could give. The Soviet troops crossed the border in force on Dec 24 1979.

At the request of the governing body of Afghanistan.

Boxus is correct. You're utterly clueless as usual.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Not to nitpick, but, the USSR was invited into Afghanistan by the at time leader to combat against an insurgency to overthrow the government. Russia responded to an attack by Georgia, in which the OSCE even laid the blame for the conflict on Georgia.

I do not think Obama is arming Ukraine because of politics, the US domestic issue of basically giving away millions of dollars worth of weapons, and not wanting to escalate the conflict. In my opinion, I do not think the current administration really trusts the Ukrainian leadership.
Yes, I know. Read the paper I linked. It doesn't hide these facts:

Here's an example: "Russia’s invasion of neighboring Georgia—ostensibly in response to Georgian aggression against the breakaway region of South Ossetia—occurred in August of that year, just one month after crude oil prices hit their then highest point since 1980"

p. 2 (intro).

Old 03-16-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
If you want to open your mouth Dentist at least get your facts straight. Babrak Karmal and his government signed a treaty in 1978 that allowed for the USSR to enter the country to help in the fight against the Islamic insurgents. At the request of the Afghan government. They requested small groups of special forces and advisers all throughout 1979 until December when they asked for everything they could give. The Soviet troops crossed the border in force on Dec 24 1979.

At the request of the governing body of Afghanistan.

Boxus is correct. You're utterly clueless as usual.
Scrat, I urge you to focus on the basics like breathing, blinking and staying alive, which must take a tremendous effort for a guy at your level of intelligence.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:39 PM

Konstantinovka. Riots. Police are authorized to shoot to kill. I thought that was a crime against humanity? That's what John Kerry said awhile back.

Riots in Kostyantynivka after Ukrainian armored vehicle hits and kills a child

Quote:
Scrat, I urge you to focus on the basics like breathing, blinking and staying alive, which must take a tremendous effort for a guy at your level of intelligence.
My brain stem works just fine as does my limbic system and neo cortex. You need to crawl out of the fetid swamps and start using the neo cortex more. That and the frontal lobe is what separates us from reptiles and lower beings.

Get to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe