Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2015, 11:26 AM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Well Ukrainians living in Finland. Don't get hooked up on semantics.
Ah, gotcha.
I imagine the "pro-Russian" Ukrainians wouldn't live in Finland, so the ones that do - their opinions are quite predictable. With Russians who live abroad it's more difficult to say now.
Interestingly enough, that the opinions of traditional "Russian intellectuals" became very split now.
Some, who always opposed Putin are siding with Donbass now. Some are still vehemently supporting the "new Ukrainian government."
I've noticed the forum of Russian "liberals" ( "Yabloko" party) that I used to frequent, became dead after Ukrainian events. People became so disagree with each other on the whole matter, that they simply quietly decided to split and leave, without turning against each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 11:27 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,588,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
If washington junta will be to humiliate and kill people, because they are Russian-speaking, then, yes, Russia is trying to protect these people. And it's not Russian imperial fever.
Please, no bs, but hell you watch life news and that affects people bad. Good half of Ukraine is Russian speaking, including the army where Russian language dominates. Does Kremlin junta kill russian speakers in Ukraine by supplying arms, willing nazis and regulars? Does it kill ukrainians? Have you checked KIA rolls of Ukrainian army, Russian family names are common. Why does kremlin junta kills Russians in Ukraine?

Old 02-15-2015, 11:32 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
Quote:
I still can't figure out what's going on there. How can you have so many people locked in a cauldron, who refuse to surrender ( hoping that international organizations/whatever would pull them out together with their weapons,) and to talk about the "cease-fire?"
Hard to say. Even if those guys are hungry they still have teeth and are dug in. Look at Stalingrad in WWII. All I have is the pocket is cut off and about 3 to 5 thousand Ukr troops of various stripes are inside. All counter attacks were repulsed. there is also said to be about 5000 civilians in the area. The NAF is not going to let them just leave but there's rumors of a deal being worked out where as long as they take only their cloths and nothing else they can leave.

If UAF could get these guys out they no doubt would try but I don't believe they have the means to do it.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:35 AM

Russian intellectuals turned rabid nazi, most of them anyway, exceptions are few. As for the internet forums, comrade Erasure modestly omits that pro ukrainian posts are considered to be "extremist" by the Russian law, isp and posters can get in the real trouble over those, many did get in trouble.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:38 AM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Please, no bs, but hell you watch life news and that affects people bad. Good half of Ukraine is Russian speaking, including the army where Russian language dominates. Does Kremlin junta kill russian speakers in Ukraine by supplying arms, willing nazis and regulars? Does it kill ukrainians? Have you checked KIA rolls of Ukrainian army, Russian family names are common. Why does kremlin junta kills Russians in Ukraine?
Please stop all this nonsense.
The reason why so many Ukrainians are still speaking Russian is because Russian is more advanced language, the language that obviously has been promoted by Soviet authorities. So the fact that a lot of Ukrainians ( particularly in big cities) are still using a more advanced in academic sense language is the remnant of Soviet past and it can't be can't be eliminated overnight, obviously. The new government in Kiev was hoping GRADUALLY to eliminate this "inconvenience" starting with prohibition of Russian as official language.
There is a reason you see why all the anchor people on Ukrainian TV are using Ukrainian now, even when the interviewed clearly respond them in Russian.
My personal impression is that it's weird to see well-dressed city people on TV talking the language which was mostly reserved for less educated in the past - the villagers or just for "at home" communications.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:42 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times
Quote:
Why does kremlin junta...
Read the meaning of the word "junta", you use it incorrectly. The Kremlin has very good support from the population.

Quote:
...kills Russians in Ukraine?
Russian volunteers kill Ukrainian soldiers, because these Russians (Ukrainian soldiers) are not right.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Please stop all this nonsense.
The reason why so many Ukrainians are still speaking Russian is because Russian is more advanced language, the language that obviously

has been promoted by Soviet authorities, and this past can't be eliminated overnight. So the fact that a lot of Ukrainians ( particularly in big cities) are still using a more advanced in academic sense language is the remnant of Soviet past. The new government in Kiev was hoping GRADUALLY to eliminate this "inconvenience" starting with prohibition of Russian as official language.
There is a reason you see why all the anchor people on Ukrainian TV are using Ukrainian now, even when the interviewed clearly respond them in Russian.
My personal impression is that it's weird to see well-dressed city people on TV talking the language which was mostly reserved for less educated in the past - the villagers or just for "at home" communications.
Those ukrainian untermensch, huh? That some rabid flow of russian nazism, linguistic, cultural, and hell knows what else is wrong with your people. Who are you to make the supremacist statements like that? I will not comment on that nazi nonsense further. If you are so great, where does it show?

Old 02-15-2015, 11:47 AM

2,761 posts, read 3,426,854 times
Quote:
I dont make friends with Russian nazis, comrade used to be a common polite expression people used to address strangers in your corner of the woods.

I am a citizen of USA not Russia and not Ukraine. I have been a citizen of USA since I was 13 years old. I was born in Kiev. Fluent in Russian and English. I have been been following Ukraine and Russian news since before Maidan. I have been to both Kiev and Moskow in the past 5 years. I simply know enough to be able to read an article or some-one's post about Russia or Ukraine and be able to say "This is not true" those people are not like that. But I don't have a bias where I would automatically be pro-Ukrainian or Pro-Russian, I say what I see.

I have spoken to and have the misfortune of meeting a number of "True Ukrainians". So I suppose that if you "people" are "True Ukrainians" Then WE the real Ukrainians, we are Russian people.

I had fun talking to you, the "True Ukrainians" during Maidan. I would read a fact about Ukraine, I would read it from CIA world facts or Wikipedia. And I would post it. And then The True Ukrainian would say It's Russia's fault.

So the conversations looked like this.
-Ukraine is the most corrupt country in Europe
-It's Russia's fault.
-Ukraine is poor and has a bad economy.
-It's Russia's fault.
-it's Russia's fault !
-it's Russia's fault !

Old 02-15-2015, 11:50 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times
Quote:
Those ukrainian untermensch, huh? That some rabid flow of russian nazism, linguistic, cultural, and hell knows what else is wrong with your people. Who are you to make the supremacist statements like that? I will not comment on that nazi nonsense further. If you are so great, where does it show?
Why did you write that Russian nazis? This is ridiculous. Read about how many nationalities live in Russia and who occupies leading positions in the Russian government (for example, who is the head of the National Bank, who is the Minister of Defence (Minister of War), etc.).

Old 02-15-2015, 11:51 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
I
-it's Russia's fault !
Considering Russia is invading and killing Ukranians, and even claims to annex Ukraine, hell yeah it's Russia's fault.

Who else would be at fault?? If China invaded Russia tomorrow is that Russia's fault?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe