Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2014, 01:21 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times

Advertisements

Lately in this thread too little Putin. Need to add more.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 07:19 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
Seems that the lawyers are up and at it. German families of MH-17 victims are suing Ukraine for damages. I happen to agree because Ukraine had custody of the aircraft in its airspace. It should not have been flying there.

Quote:
"Each state is responsible for the security of its air space," Giemulla said in a statement emailed to Reuters. "If it is not able to do so temporarily, it must close its air space. As that did not happen, Ukraine is liable for the damage."
http://news.msn.com/world/families-o...ukraine-lawyer

I doubt the people will see anything though.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:07 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times
A pair of videos about people who are in Russian militia.

Motorola appealed to the President of Poland, who did not want to let the plane of Russian Defense Minister over the territory of Poland. He added to video his volley multiple launch rocket systems:

Motorola is testing the a bulletproof vest:

Old 09-22-2014, 07:22 AM

165 posts, read 169,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
So I'm looking at videos of Kiev burning and 19 are dead so far, and there seems to be some very serious turmoil going on there. Backlash against political leaders siding with Putin over the EU and probably many other things that run deeper than the headlines are showing. Citizens in the streets of Kiev seem desperate at the point that they feel they have nothing left to loose after having protesting rights lost, and perhaps a much tighter grip with what seems to be heading towards totalitarian ways. All the while, turn the corner and the Sochi Olympic games are currently on the world stage. The Ukraine has a whole new generation of post Soviet/iron curtain college age kids growing into adulthood. What direction is the Ukraine heading in?
Ukraine is going to hell, following the State Department and its puppets in Ukrainian government. One acquaintance of mine told me that a few years ago, a man who would say that Ukraine will claim the status of an American ally, would be put away in a mental hospital until the end of his days

Old 09-22-2014, 07:39 AM

165 posts, read 169,680 times
Hah! Look what I found! That is what would be with Ukraine in the near future. I believe that it is no secret why the government has such an interest in Ukraine. Judging by the events and actions in foreign policy, the US can be called the world's maniac-Ripper. We pretending the world's policeman to earn the trust and then gut unsuspecting victim

Ripper Sam - YouTube

Old 09-23-2014, 08:15 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,564 times
Re: ramzes 'I have long wanted.....'

Unfortunately because of my utter lack of understanding of Russian (which sometimes I find deplorable and may need to be absolutely rectified!) sometimes I wish translation if and when it occurs should be much better at times especially in a thread like this. I appreciate ramzes' post but I am reluctant to comment because I just may completely misinterpret the remarks.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:14 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Re: ramzes 'I have long wanted.....'

Unfortunately because of my utter lack of understanding of Russian (which sometimes I find deplorable and may need to be absolutely rectified!) sometimes I wish translation if and when it occurs should be much better at times especially in a thread like this. I appreciate ramzes' post but I am reluctant to comment because I just may completely misinterpret the remarks.

Travric, it was some Ukrainian guy's entrance in Live Journal ( I've figured that much out,) and ramzes apparently made an attempt to translate it, because he agrees with this guy's opinion. ( Just my assumption.)

yurasumy -

So here it is for you, I've tried to make translation more readable; ( the person who wrote it hails from this particular region of Ukraine ( since it's included in his nickname) -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumy

(We all know by now that regions in Ukraine are important thing under the circumstances )

"Long ago I wanted to write on this subject but I couldn't get to it.
All that I see around me the last half a year has some surreal feel to it.
Allegedly at the end of February Russia declared a war on Ukraine. From this point in Ukraine the first military draft began ( and then second one, and then then third). No one believed then that they'll really have to shoot, however the "patriotic" hype was incredibly high. Days, weeks, months have passed. War acquired more and more of the new "attributes": the rupture of humanitarian, economic and cultural ties. Then embargoes poured one after another. Well and finally it came to the climax; "Russian" and the "Ukrainian" soldiers met on the battlefield ( there is no sense to deny it after the capture of the " lost" paratroopers )
And so? What's the reaction of simple folks to all this? On TV screen everything looks nice and patriotic. Someone gathers, some demands about something are made. Russia is called an aggressor. This is the work of mass media; "nothing personal" as Americans say. And if you turn the camera off and to watch closely the actions of your regular Ukrainians, then we'll see ( taking Sumi region as example) that the majority of its inhabitants, in order to dodge the draft escaped to Russia. Looking for jobs, the majority of them go to Russia ( because we practically don't have any jobs and we have less and less of them available with every passing day.) Generally speaking, if we'll have the humanitarian catastrophe god forbids, we'll be running for salvation... yes, you've guessed it, to Russia.
Yet at the same time the brutal propaganda against Russia does its part. Many really believe that Russia is the enemy. And not as a nation, but as the way of thinking. The obsessive idea of Maydan crowd in June was the following: "We will march on Moscow to bring freedom and..... happiness to Russian people" which pines under Putin's tyranny (and it was not important at that that that no one asked them for it. They simply CARED you see.) By now of course their mood is more gloomy.) By the way the intentions of the majority of Russians towards Ukrainians are approximately the same.
Don't you think that we've already seen this type of behavior somewhere somehow, earlier in time? Personally I've noticed the similarity long time ago. The inhabitants of these territories acted in the same manner back in 1917-1921. Nothing changed since then. Same invaders, same Civil war from Vladivostok to Zhmerinka (since people who fight in Donbass come from all kind of regions - from Zhmerinka to Vladivostok, so it is what it is.) Same artificially drawn borders that some particularly engulfed by nationalism scientists are trying to create basis for, although stubbornly refusing to acknowledge the local population. We've seen it all already before.
Personally I see the events that are happening now not only in Ukraine, but also in all former USSR territories, with their successful or unsuccessful Maydans, etc. as one civil conflict of ONE and the same people. The essence of a conflict lays not in a fact that all these people are different, but what path they'll have to choose ALL TOGETHER. And I underline it again - ALL TOGETHER. And that where the appeal of Maidan participants comes from "to march on Moscow" ( and even further than Moscow if neccessary,) and that's where the idea of Russians "to help Ukrainians to get rid of the scourge of faschism" is coming from as well. Because subconsciously we still consider ourselves one and the same peope, and that's why we can't just pass by. We need to stick our nose... into each other's business.

And this lack of indifference is the main indication of the unity of people. As soon as we'll become indifferent to each other affairs... then yes, you can start drawing borders. Then we are going to be really different people. But as long as all Ukrainian media sticks its nose in Russia's affairs ( and vice verser) 24/7, the hope is not lost. We still can reunite. Because we are so eager to teach each other how to do things the "right way," that we can't part.

And that's wonderful.

That's how it supposed to be.

Last edited by erasure; 09-23-2014 at 11:24 PM..

Old 09-24-2014, 11:38 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,564 times
Thank you erasure. Much better.

VERY interesting post from yurasumy. I thought that bit about 'nationalism scientists' was incredibly indicative of that saying that 'the road to hell is paved with 'good' intentions. I would agree to the writer's assessment on 'local populations' and the 'simple folk' of both sides in the conflict who are truly tied to each other and have that need of 'sticking their nose in each other's business'. And perhaps therein lies some solutions.

Things is though the conflict then is being hijacked by those not of the 'simple folk' who simply want peace and the time to lead their lives with their families. I'd be curious as to how the writer feels about solving the problem, i.e. what needs to be done to stop, in a way, this deadly and divisive 'family' quarrel, if as noted, they 'can't part'.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:53 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
Great Job Erasure.

I found this on a blog. I wonder if the junta can even stay alive. Does anyone have any information on how bad the situation is there?

Quote:
Writing about men in masks fighting in eastern Ukraine sells far more advertising than covering the nation's economic activity.

However it's the economy, that has brought Ukraine close to the brink.

And just to be clear, some of Kiev's economic and fiscal problems were visible long before the spat with Russia.

Ukraine is now in recession.

Deep economic ties with Russia have resulted in painful adjustments in recent months.

The nation's exports are down some 19% from last year in dollar terms and expected to fall further.
Kiev Ukraine News Blog: Ukraine Is On The Brink Of Total Economic Collapse

Old 09-24-2014, 09:19 PM

251 posts, read 396,335 times
Ukraine was already a 3rd poorest country in Europe before the war. Imagine what is going to happen to them now after all the damaged caused by the war.... I won't be surprised if they become the poorest country in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe