Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2014, 03:00 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Where do you see it I'm curious, because his first exile was near Irkutsk, but he escaped in a month or so...
Then it was Archangel region...
Then it was Vologda...
Then it was West Siberia,
And the last ( the toughest and longest one, for 4 years) was in East Siberia, Turukhansk, to be precise.

( And yes, mentally he turned out to be tougher to make it through it, than some of his comrades.)

Last edited by erasure; 09-12-2014 at 03:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 06:55 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
^
Yes and it sure didn't kill him. I see he did 3 years in Irkutsk. Living there probably made him more mentally tough for that revolutionary war to come. He wasn't called 'Stalin' (man of steel) for nothing.
He called himself that, mimicking "Lenin", no one called him that for any reason other than he said so.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcricket300 View Post
Siberia is not bad. It's like Scandinavian countries, cold but liveable. There are already lot of Russians living there.
Siberia is a large area; the climate ranges from the cold tundra, to the scorching dry heat of the steppes.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:13 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,618,183 times
Re: Where did you see it?

In a very good book in my opinion called 'Hitler and Stalin'. It draws portraits of both by analyzing their lives and marrying it to what they accomplished in the world. For me, it's pretty informative and has a lot of detail. And it is well- written. No 'academic' speak!

Old 09-13-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Re: Where did you see it?

In a very good book in my opinion called 'Hitler and Stalin'. It draws portraits of both by analyzing their lives and marrying it to what they accomplished in the world. For me, it's pretty informative and has a lot of detail. And it is well- written. No 'academic' speak!
"Stalin" by Edvard Radzinsky is a good read if you are interested. It is good in that it is a Russian writing it, it is Radzinsky writing it, and it was written post-USSR, so it includes documents that were previously classified during the USSR.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:58 AM

Thx. Will check it out. What did you think of it?

And on another note focusing a bit on the future of Ukraine. I'd suggest it's hard to disagree with an insightful look as to Putin's vision of the 'new' Rossiya where it's said he does have clear ambition where he wants to go in seeing it to fruition. But he simply is now using 'tactical' improvisation when it comes to the goal.

Interesting I think. Makes sense. Georgia, Crimea, the Donbass region play pretty well into that. If the West is waiting for say one big grand push to fulfill visions it's not going to be seeing that. That's too upfront and loathe with great problems. Easier to assess situations one by one and then apply the tactics. I think it's working. But on the other hand it's making many pretty nervous in gauging his moves. Nobody likes unpredictability.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:32 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
The indications of torture of DNR soldiers in the hands of so-called Ukrainian "National guard" are persistent. More and more of captured DNR fighters designated for exchange of POWs are mysteriously "missing." During the last supposed exchange of 73 to 73 Ukrainians returned only 69 people; the DNR army returned all 73 as it has been promised. 69 people returned to DNR are talking about constant beating that they were subjected to while in captivity.
And this is yet another video, ( 18+) that indicates that 8 soldiers of Mozgovoy's "Ghost" battalion have been tortured ( one of them has been found beheaded) before being killed. The local villagers talked about torture and helped DNR people to find the grave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2n6dzlKWLs

Old 09-14-2014, 08:30 PM

570 posts, read 491,276 times
I still think that the tool to get Russia into it's senses is economically, and they will be in trouble very soon.
My calculations tell me that their gas production is going to get them where we want them.
Also their relation with China and Brazil. Specially their dependence in products from South america.
It's a matter of time; time that Putin is buying by creating these problems.

Easy , calm down, we will get them.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Thx. Will check it out. What did you think of it?
"Stalin" is a good read for someone who wants an accurate, easy and entertaining read over Stalin, it is a biography actually. I have read a lot over the years about Stalin, and this book probably is the best book for those who just want to read one book about him.

This book and many others require the reader to know a little about the historic background of the events prior to, and during Stalin's time (not saying you do not, just general advice for everyone). Too many people want to engage in a historic fallacy when reading about him, well almost everyone from history, as well as not know enough about the general subject to fully understand what is going on in the book.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:37 PM

^
You know Hitler and Stalin have passed on and in perspective their lives were an effort in a sense to redraw the map of Europe through state power.
So we had Germany in '14, then the settlement after WWI and with it the Hapsburgs, Hohenzollerns, Romanovs, and the Ottomans going bye-bye. Hitler continued with getting Austria in 1938 and going after western Russia later. And then his mistake of continuing an unwinnable war and giving the Soviets entree into Eastern Europe and Germany post-war.

I think it's pretty evident how spot on the writer of 'Hitler and Stalin' was when he suggested where the next map 'rewrite' will be and on that he says that it will depend on....... 'The stability of Eastern Europe and above all on the ability of Russia, the Ukraine, and the other successor states of the former Soviet Union to avoid a relapse into civil war or a return to dictatorship, are once more questions, rooted in the Hitler-Stalin period and its legacy', the answers to which will have a great effect on the future not only of Eastern but Western Europe as well'.

I think we are seeing some answers to that assessment right now today. It's a murky and tenuous business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe