Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2013, 07:46 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Fox Carolina has confirmed that Baby Bi-Lo in downtown Greenville will be closing at the end of this month.

No doubt something grander will be coming to that spot.

I am not surprised they are closing. I always thought that was the bread and milk store for N Main residents for years until Publix came along on McBee and the much closer Sav-A Lot small grocery opened at Stone and N Main a few years back that had to cut into Bilos share and probably became underperforming. Also no telling how much theft occurred at that location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 07:47 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,373,752 times
Quote:
Fox Carolina has confirmed that Baby Bi-Lo in downtown Greenville will be closing at the end of this month.
Happy Day! It's time for Trader Joe's to expand into downtown—or Whole Foods Market. Must wonder whether the planned North Main at Stone Avenue development will ultimately include a grocery store.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:03 PM

423 posts, read 898,585 times
Quote:
That will be a huge loss to the senior citizens and others who walk there to get their groceries.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:05 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,229,164 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
No doubt something grander will be coming to that spot.

I am not surprised they are closing. I always thought that was the bread and milk store for N Main residents for years until Publix came along on McBee and the much closer Sav-A Lot small grocery opened at Stone and N Main a few years back that had to cut into Bilos share and probably became underperforming. Also no telling how much theft occurred at that location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvlgal View Post
That will be a huge loss to the senior citizens and others who walk there to get their groceries.
Bi-Lo missed an opportunity to improve this location (store #5012) years ago after Eckerd relocated to East Stone Avenue and North Main Street (now Rite Aid store #11640). They could have expanded and added a pharmacy department in Eckerd's vacant space. Unable to compete with distant competition Publix at McBee Station (store #1148) and Rite Aid's partnership with Sav-A-Lot to offer limited grocery products and the store's declining performance, I am not surprised to see Bi-Lo close. (Do not be surprised to see other underperforming Bi-Lo stores close.)

The worst thing the North Main Street and Stone Avenue area needs to become is a food desert. Bi-Lo's closing is making that thought a reality. An opportunity opens for Ingle's, Publix or Walmart Neighborhood Market to come in to serve that immediate area.

What does the future hold for 505 North Main Street, the retail center in question? Aside from North Hills Medical Center having one of its five locations in the center, there is a lot of vacancy. It would be logical to raze the center and bring in another supermarket. I do not know if Publix would want two small stores less than a mile apart to serve two separate areas. Ingle's newer stores of 80,000 square feet will not fit unless they are 45,000 square feet with a parking deck. Walmart Neighborhood Market would be able to open a 45,000 square feet store with a parking deck and be able to provide food and pharmacy necessities.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:20 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
The Journal had a TBA months ago that Target was eyeballing a spot near DT. No news on that so far?

Old 11-21-2013, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
The Journal had a TBA months ago that Target was eyeballing a spot near DT. No news on that so far?
Where could Target open a store? I guess any location within downtown would have to grow vertically. For a 100,000 to 120,000 square feet store, you would likely have a two-level store accompanied by a parking deck.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:46 AM

241 posts, read 386,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The worst thing the North Main Street and Stone Avenue area needs to become is a food desert. Bi-Lo's closing is making that thought a reality. An opportunity opens for Ingle's, Publix or Walmart Neighborhood Market to come in to serve that immediate area.
I have little faith in the landlord of that property. Remember, this is the same person who was forced to spend thousands in landscaping costs because he couldn't be bothered to abide by city ordinances the first time around (remember the crepe murder on Park Ave.?).

While I'd love another place to get groceries, I'm guessing it sits vacant for a while. There is no secret tenant waiting to be revealed, and there are no plans to demolish/reconstruct the property. I hope I'm proven wrong about this.

‘Baby BI-LO’ on North Main closing - Upstate Business Journal

Old 11-21-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfuprof View Post
I have little faith in the landlord of that property. Remember, this is the same person who was forced to spend thousands in landscaping costs because he couldn't be bothered to abide by city ordinances the first time around (remember the crepe murder on Park Ave.?).

While I'd love another place to get groceries, I'm guessing it sits vacant for a while. There is no secret tenant waiting to be revealed, and there are no plans to demolish/reconstruct the property. I hope I'm proven wrong about this.

‘Baby BI-LO’ on North Main closing - Upstate Business Journal
I am not sure who would be excited to see Dollar General consider opening a Dollar General Market in this location if courted.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:24 AM

241 posts, read 386,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I am not sure who would be excited to see Dollar General consider opening a Dollar General Market in this location if courted.
I don't want a Dollar General, either. But I fear that is what we'll get--or some other iteration of "sav-a-lot." Again, I hope I'm wrong.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:41 AM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Long ago.. There used to be a Bi-Lo on Augusta Rd towards downtown.. Really small (and old) store.. I'm thinking it was in the building across from Como's that is now a Saluda River Pet Store? I assume that would be considered one of the "Baby Bi-Los" as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area