Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2016, 07:59 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Actually if they would have rushed him a guy that size is a handful and during the scuffle it's possible he could grab one of the officers guns and then it could really be bad.
It IS really bad. Dayam!

Old 09-21-2016, 08:31 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,957,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
He had just been tasered. How many people would you assume maintain the position after being tasered?

His hands were not up before he got tasered. It is plainly seen by the police dash camera that his hand was down by his right pocket. Can't you people see?

Old 09-21-2016, 08:48 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
The writing is on the wall, folks.

We have a huge issue with racism in this country.

Specifically, we have a problem with racism against black people...and more so, black men. Excessive force and violence exercised by those who are sworn to protect us, and all other American citizens, is the norm. We are perceived as threatening, menacing, and animals that must be controlled and put down.

Argue all you want against this. But this is true.

White women and men will never go through what we go through. They have never, and will never, be treated like animals, like vermon. They are treated with kid gloves by law enforcement and the justice system. History has proven this.

I fear every day for the lives of my black brothers, my black nephews, and for the black sons I will one day give birth to.

I fear for them. For those of you supporting these cops, and any other white cop who has shot and killed an unarmed black man/woman, can you say the same? Can you even begin to understand any of this?

You can argue semantics and specifics of video footage, quotes, etc. Until we as a nation are realize that racism exists and injustices occur towards people who look like me, this will continue to happen.

It breaks my heart to see so many people on here arguing on behalf of the officers. The video footage is there. It has been there for dozens of other blacks who have been killed at the hands of white officers. Yet, the support continues for these racist officers.

This support is not suprising, however. It only reflects the global conscious of those who can never, and will never, care or understand what it means to be black in this country.

Heartbreaking...

False narrative

We have a crime problem..where crime in black communities is many times that of other communities..many times...
Clean up these communities and police will be reduced by default.

I worked the ghetto
I always treated people respectfully from the start...and escalated from there..instantly if need be
As a white Irish policeman I was in an area that was 99 percent minority...
I always treated black people with kid gloves because I NEVER wanted to be accused of racism... which would be an automatic career ender. It's ok for black people to call each other racist names AND call me if peckerwood... Really?...who is the racist...

If you imagine you will be a victim you will create yourself as a victim...and then you will be a victim

What I see is institutionalized victimology... It's taught in school..it's taught in college..it's taught by our president divider in chief. Where is he tonight to calm the world while black folk loot their own communities..just like south central..just like Baltimore... Just like every American city where riots occur

There is no war on black people...except the one made up by false narratives.

Black men don't get the benefit of the doubt... False... they drop the race card in many situations to avoid responsibility for their abhorrent behavior

I want to know..how are you changing your community for the better

Are you volunteering or mentoring in your community
Have you gone on a ride along with your local police
Have you sat in a grand jury
Have you ever worked teaching kids at a pal league
Have you ever attended a city council meeting and spoken up during public comment period
Have you ever sat on a police review board?

Out of the millions of police contacts there are somewhere around 25 shootings per year that are highly questionable.... Compare that to 3100 black folk killed in Chicago so far this year...

In all those high profile shootings there has been one automatic indictment of a sick person wearing a uniform that murdered and lied...

Where is the real outrage for that... Where..???

Where's black lives matter..the riots.. the news shows

That's what you can personally do to effect positive change. When are you going to step forward and self police behavior of your "brothers"

I've questioned this shooting..and await the investigation

By the way.. Google Raymond Louis George... Police killer..he was always unarmed...he practiced every day how to kill a policeman
http://articles.latimes.com/1989-01-...1_parole-agent

Last edited by notmeofficer; 09-21-2016 at 09:21 PM..

Old 09-21-2016, 09:41 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,199,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
False narrative

We have a crime problem..where crime in black communities is many times that of other communities..many times...
Clean up these communities and police will be reduced by default.

I worked the ghetto
I always treated people respectfully from the start...and escalated from there..instantly if need be
As a white Irish policeman I was in an area that was 99 percent minority...
I always treated black people with kid gloves because I NEVER wanted to be accused of racism... which would be an automatic career ender. It's ok for black people to call each other racist names AND call me if peckerwood... Really?...who is the racist...

If you imagine you will be a victim you will create yourself as a victim...and then you will be a victim

What I see is institutionalized victimology... It's taught in school..it's taught in college..it's taught by our president divider in chief. Where is he tonight to calm the world while black folk loot their own communities..just like south central..just like Baltimore... Just like every American city where riots occur

There is no war on black people...except the one made up by false narratives.

Black men don't get the benefit of the doubt... False... they drop the race card in many situations to avoid responsibility for their abhorrent behavior

I want to know..how are you changing your community for the better

Are you volunteering or mentoring in your community
Have you gone on a ride along with your local police
Have you sat in a grand jury
Have you ever worked teaching kids at a pal league
Have you ever attended a city council meeting and spoken up during public comment period
Have you ever sat on a police review board?

Out of the millions of police contacts there are somewhere around 25 shootings per year that are highly questionable.... Compare that to 3100 black folk killed in Chicago so far this year...

In all those high profile shootings there has been one automatic indictment of a sick person wearing a uniform that murdered and lied...

Where is the real outrage for that... Where..???

Where's black lives matter..the riots.. the news shows

That's what you can personally do to effect positive change. When are you going to step forward and self police behavior of your "brothers"

I've questioned this shooting..and await the investigation

By the way.. Google Raymond Louis George... Police killer..he was always unarmed...he practiced every day how to kill a policeman
Police Killer Paroled for 2nd Time, Will Live in N. Hollywood - latimes
Your narrative is a deflection IMO.

It is always good to recommend volunteer and community activities for people and then you mention Chicago's homicide rate when we are discussing an incident in Tulsa. However, feel free to create a separate thread for them.

Whether people do or don't do those things, there will always be good officers (btw have every reason to believe you were a good one based on your info) and there will also be the few bad apples. Officer Shelby is the latter and even if she somehow escapes charges, she should not be a police officer. I am not afraid to call a spade a spade. Just wanted to get this back to the thread topic.

We should also ask ourselves if someone we knew were killed in such an incident, would we have the same viewpoint? The lives of strangers are equally as important as the lives of people we personally know. His family is devastated right now. The people of Tulsa deserve better than Officer Shelby. We should be able to at least agree on that. She has lost credibility with her changing stories that were mentioned earlier in the thread. Desperate to do the CYA but doing that incompetently as well, when she should be apologizing to the Crutcher family. The other officers may not have over-reacted, but a few should still be ashamed for derogatory comments about Crutcher on the video and some additional training or a good old fashioned scolding from the police chief is probably a good idea for them.

Agree to disagree, but thanks for sharing your views. .

Last edited by chessgeek; 09-21-2016 at 09:52 PM..

Old 09-21-2016, 11:37 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
I just read something that is a better way of looking at the problem, rather than picking apart each individual case.

Too many American citizens are dying in confrontations with the police.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:40 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,199,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Again. Tell me why the police were holding him at gunpoint and calling for backup when his car broke down? The guy was coming back from class at a local community college and his car broke down. Why would police point guns at him? He had no gun and he wasn't going anywhere. Why would they hold him at gunpoint in the first place?
Agree! There was no good reason for them to do that. Then with the helicopter flying overhead likely making it difficult to hear and concentrate, this was overkill right from the start.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:11 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1988 View Post
I love this post b/c it's spot on. When things like this happen, I see the usual suspects with the usual comments. "Well if Terence hadn't..." "He moved too fast" "He shouldn't have..." My thing is, let's start holding the police accountable for their F ups. Nobody (regardless of color) should be dead over something as trivial as a damn car stopping. It's not that serious.

The scary part, is I realize that could be me. Hell, my Mom has to drive a pretty far distance and TBH, I do worry about her safety. Hell when I'm driving and see a cop, I tense up and have to fight off panic attacks. I've never committed a crime in my life, yet I'm hella scared and nervous around cops.

I don't want to become a hashtag and then have people (like many here on this forum) try and come up with every reason why my death is my fault. Or have people who try and bring up every bad thing I've done in life, no matter how irrelevant it is to the current situation, to try and justify my killing and make the cop a hero instead of a villain.

"Well he shouldn't have done..." "All he has to do was..." it's easy to make comments like that, until the situation hits home. Imagine if Terence was your father, or friend...husband, brother...would you still make those excuses? We have to do better than this. That man did not deserve to die, especially in the manner that he did.
I can say with certainty it won't be you.... just statistically it would have the chance if occurring in a number so small as not to register

Unless you act bizarrely

Perhaps take PCP

http://hallucinogens.com/pcp/pcp-effects-on-the-brain/

Stop in the middle of the road getting out ,( btw..people who use Pcp experience overheating...so this might explain some rather bizarre behavior stopping and getting out in the middle of the road) Many times I have experienced dusters who actually strip.

People on drugs commit acts that don't make sense. I want to see the toxicology before I make further comments on his behavior.

I don't think this is going to be a good shooting in the end but I don't know... I'll await a grand jury or jury of peers and evidence . The department is currently standing by this officer...which tells me something..because today departments look to extricate themselves from officers actions in high profile cases very quickly. That is reality regardless of perceptions

Feel free to wear a snuggly and get under the covers.... The world is a scary place

Perhaps a desensitization course might be helpful on how to deal with life.

I don't get scared when I see someone of color... Or think they are automatically a threat... Listening to narrative from blm that you could be shot by police says something about mentality... Persons of color are shot less than all others... People who get shot by police are again such a small number in the world you have chances being killed by many other means far more readily .Getting caught up in sensationalism means one allows their destiny to be controlled by others and not think for themself.

It's behavior not color

Think critically...does your father drive around with phencyclidine?

Last edited by notmeofficer; 09-22-2016 at 04:20 AM..

Old 09-22-2016, 04:16 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
His hands were not up before he got tasered. It is plainly seen by the police dash camera that his hand was down by his right pocket. Can't you people see?
I thought it was going into the window?

Old 09-22-2016, 04:24 AM

5,861 posts, read 3,300,267 times
Now they are saying he ignored 2 dozen commands. So obviously he did whatever he wanted. Cop has an obligation to go home at the end of the night. Lawyer for cop is saying he reached inside an open window. You will never see charges in this case!

Old 09-22-2016, 04:33 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,842,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1988 View Post
I love this post b/c it's spot on. When things like this happen, I see the usual suspects with the usual comments. "Well if Terence hadn't..." "He moved too fast" "He shouldn't have..." My thing is, let's start holding the police accountable for their F ups. Nobody (regardless of color) should be dead over something as trivial as a damn car stopping. It's not that serious.

The scary part, is I realize that could be me. Hell, my Mom has to drive a pretty far distance and TBH, I do worry about her safety. Hell when I'm driving and see a cop, I tense up and have to fight off panic attacks. I've never committed a crime in my life, yet I'm hella scared and nervous around cops.

I don't want to become a hashtag and then have people (like many here on this forum) try and come up with every reason why my death is my fault. Or have people who try and bring up every bad thing I've done in life, no matter how irrelevant it is to the current situation, to try and justify my killing and make the cop a hero instead of a villain.

"Well he shouldn't have done..." "All he has to do was..." it's easy to make comments like that, until the situation hits home. Imagine if Terence was your father, or friend...husband, brother...would you still make those excuses? We have to do better than this. That man did not deserve to die, especially in the manner that he did.
Over the previous two-three years everyone of these shooting with media prominence except three(in two of those cases the officer was fired and is facing charges, unfortunately free in the other case), have involved people with some sort of history of criminal record or extensive ordinance violation which if I were to do so would indicate a considerable lack of regard for law. You ever commit a crime? I mean misdemeanor or felony. Ever rack up dozens of traffic citations? Not me.

When it is fellow professionals shot by police then I will worry.

We saw what the culture of most of the folks being shot is like in that POV video of the Atlanta mall security guard warding off dozens of disruptors with both taser and sidearm. It is loud vocal posturing, menacing body language, disregarding instructions until almost the fatal moment,etc. Bound to have lethal effects when this attitude confronts a commissioned law enforcement officer who is sworn to act.

Last edited by Felix C; 09-22-2016 at 05:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies