Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 08:42 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,020,664 times

Advertisements

Meh. Don’t care.

Old 02-10-2021, 08:43 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,240,677 times
I think its great. Im sick of those losers kneeling when its being played anyway. They dont deserve having it played for them. Its a privilege having it played before a game.

Old 02-10-2021, 08:44 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,558,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
at your N Korea analogy.

Maybe you do not seem to think of the national anthem in the same way most others do.
It is primarily to give thanks for those who sacrificed so we can continue to enjoy our freedom. What better place to give honor and respect, than at a sporting event, which is the epitome of leisure time entertainment we enjoy.

`
Probably not.

I grew up with God Save the Queen. We also had freedom and remembered those who have given their lives for our freedom, but we didn't feel the urge to blast out that droning anthem every sporting event unless we were playing a different country, in you know, one of those sports that other countries actually play.

Old 02-10-2021, 08:45 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Here comes the posters who don't watch the NBA, yet say they're outraged about this and will loudly proclaim they won't watch any more. Lol

National Anthems in the NBA & NHL were always weird with how international the sport is. Then you have the whole strict cultural ritual around the national anthem as of late. Everyone must stand, take off your hat, place your hand on heart, look serious, stare at a piece of cloth while someone sings a song.

If someone doesn't follow the rules exactly then a large group of people will become so offended that they will publicly denounce you and announce to everyone they no longer will support you or the sport (but will tune in next week anyways).

I was in a school working a couple years ago & forgot students still have to do the pledge of allegiance. It felt so corny & out of place like the national anthem. I guess I never actually thought about the words as a kid, but it's weird they're making kids pledge allegiance to a flag. A flag?!

im a Dallas guy, a very politically conservative person, a veteran, and a Mavs fan who absolutely hates the kneeling and disrespect shown to the flag and anthem, i am actually ok with Mark doing this.

He has turned to focus to basketball and not some group of woke morons hating on my country.

Old 02-10-2021, 08:50 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,538,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
What is the OBJECTION to to the anthem? What is so offensive to you that you must stamp it out
1) it's really either an English drinking song or a really silly 18th century song called "To Anacreon in Heaven." Or both. Who TF is Anacreon? (silly question, he was a Greek lyric poet)
2) it's hard to sing, ranges over 1.5 octaves, going from low C to high E in just about every stanza, with the last one to high G.
3) It starts with the word "Jose." Kinda like that Xmas song that starts, "Olive the other reindeer...." And why was Jose watching Fort McHenry anyway?
4) "America the Beautiful" would have been a better choice. Much more patriotic, although the musical range might still be an issue. ("God Save the [British monarch]" is much easier to sing-- it goes up and down the scale one note at a time.)
5) Unclear about your reference to "stamping" it out. I use stamps to mail things by snail.

This is entirely too much fun, but I am treating it with all the gravity it deserves.

Old 02-10-2021, 08:54 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,725,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
1) it's really either an English drinking song or a really silly 18th century song called "To Anacreon in Heaven." Or both. Who TF is Anacreon? (silly question, he was a Greek lyric poet)
2) it's hard to sing, ranges over 1.5 octaves, going from low C to high E in just about every stanza, with the last one to high G.
3) It starts with the word "Jose." Kinda like that Xmas song that starts, "Olive the other reindeer...." And why was Jose watching Fort McHenry anyway?
4) "America the Beautiful" would have been a better choice. Much more patriotic, although the musical range might still be an issue. ("God Save the [British monarch]" is much easier to sing-- it goes up and down the scale one note at a time.)
5) Unclear about your reference to "stamping" it out. I use stamps to mail things by snail.

This is entirely too much fun, but I am treating it with all the gravity it deserves.
Contrived elitism at its finest right here.

So if you don't mind I'll answer the question for you of why you object, which is "I'm too good for it"

Old 02-10-2021, 08:56 AM

761 posts, read 316,683 times
I haven’t watched an NBA game in a few years other than a few finals games. The constant virtue signaling and politics just became too much for me.

Old 02-10-2021, 09:03 AM

1,768 posts, read 568,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Precisely.

Not sure when it started, but I know some places, I think the Chicago Cubs was one them, didn't start doing the anthem until the 1960's. People act like it's been a tradition since time immemorial.
It started at the 1918 World Series, where it was played in the 7th inning stretch. (Cubs vs Red Sox).

At the time, it wasn't even the anthem (wasn't officially adopted until 1931).

The NFL started playing it before games in the 40s.

Now, apparently, it is the sole arbiter of whether or not you deserve to be alive in this country.

I can't think of anything less American than calling for Civil War and death to people who don't play a song.

Old 02-10-2021, 09:09 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,392,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
at your N Korea analogy.

Maybe you do not seem to think of the national anthem in the same way most others do.
It is primarily to give thanks for those who sacrificed so we can continue to enjoy our freedom. What better place to give honor and respect, than at a sporting event, which is the epitome of leisure time entertainment we enjoy.

`
Nailed it!!!

Old 02-10-2021, 09:09 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,558,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
It started at the 1918 World Series, where it was played in the 7th inning stretch. (Cubs vs Red Sox).

At the time, it wasn't even the anthem (wasn't officially adopted until 1931).

The NFL started playing it before games in the 40s.

Now, apparently, it is the sole arbiter of whether or not you deserve to be alive in this country.

I can't think of anything less American than calling for Civil War and death to people who don't play a song.
Precisely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies