Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2018, 05:30 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post

Sad to watch Alonso toil in last for a bit. He moved up but dang that car is bad.

Kinda strange, last year the chassis seemed far better than the engine, now it seems the chassis's gone away. Maybe last year there just wasn't enough power to upset the chassis? He certainly seems to get every bit he can out of a car, wonder where he's gonna be next season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 08:48 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,861,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Kinda strange, last year the chassis seemed far better than the engine, now it seems the chassis's gone away. Maybe last year there just wasn't enough power to upset the chassis? He certainly seems to get every bit he can out of a car, wonder where he's gonna be next season?

Yeah I dunno. That engine last year was a disaster so I wouldn't be surprised. I can't see Alonso doing this again next year. So unless they solve something I can see him leaving for something else. No idea what. The press keeps hyping IndyCar but I just don't see him running that series. The 500 yes but not that series.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Yeah I dunno. That engine last year was a disaster so I wouldn't be surprised. I can't see Alonso doing this again next year. So unless they solve something I can see him leaving for something else. No idea what. The press keeps hyping IndyCar but I just don't see him running that series. The 500 yes but not that series.

Yeah, I think the 'silly season' may be a lot sillier than usual this year. Red Bull going with HONDA next year may well be the big unknown.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:48 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,189,972 times
Interesting race. Too bad Hamilton is such a cry-baby. Save the conspiracy theories for someone else. This was not Crashgate or Spygate, just an unfortunate lock-up.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:34 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Interesting race. Too bad Hamilton is such a cry-baby. Save the conspiracy theories for someone else. This was not Crashgate or Spygate, just an unfortunate lock-up.
I've heard the same from many drivers over the year, particularly when the championship is close. Nothing new. Give him a couple hours post-race and his attitude will change. He does himself no favors with all of the complaining in the car, though. He is a brilliant driver but his attitude can hold him back.

Although it is quite rare for a driver to take responsibility as easily as Kimi did (in the immediate post race interview with Brundle, before the podium ceremonies), it is almost always the other guy's fault. And then they often see the replay and it is "huh, umm, cough:cough, well, that's racing"
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 07-08-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I've heard the same from many drivers over the year, particularly when the championship is close. Nothing new. Give him a couple hours post-race and his attitude will change. He does himself no favors with all of the complaining in the car, though. He is a brilliant driver but his attitude can hold him back.

Although it is quite rare for a driver to take responsibility as easily as Kimi did (in the immediate post race interview with Brundle, before the podium ceremonies), it is almost always the other guy's fault. And then they often see the replay and it is "huh, umm, cough:cough, well, that's racing"

Apparently not, now it seems everyone from Toto Wolff on down is making accusations. Personally, I didn't think it amounted to anything more than a racing incident. Cold tires, dirty air and a pack of cars? Anything could happen. I don't see any logic in thinking it was done on purpose, when open wheels touch there's no telling what's likely to happen, there was probably as much chance of Kimi looping it as there was of Lewis doing so.

The last laps were good though, this looks like Ferrari and Mercedes may well beat up on each other for the rest of the season. I wish the Renault engine was producing a little more HP to put Red Bull in the mix.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:58 AM

Kimi's wife reportedly had some advice for Lewis. I like that woman!

Kimi Raikkonen's wife suggests Lewis Hamilton takes up ballet after Silverstone jibe

Old 07-09-2018, 08:57 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,861,393 times
What non-sense. I really try to like Hamilton but I can't. He's just a petulant child all the time. When things go his way he's all charming and cool but when they don't he gets angry and pouts. As a team member I'd be well and truly over that behavior. Not talking to Brundle was classless.

Kimi did mess that all up but so did Hamilton. Racing does that. Leave the inside open and guys will jump into that gap.

Interesting last few laps though. The Ferrari's were lightning fast. Too bad there isn't more racing like that every event.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
What non-sense. I really try to like Hamilton but I can't. He's just a petulant child all the time. When things go his way he's all charming and cool but when they don't he gets angry and pouts. As a team member I'd be well and truly over that behavior. Not talking to Brundle was classless.

Kimi did mess that all up but so did Hamilton.
Racing does that. Leave the inside open and guys will jump into that gap.

Interesting last few laps though. The Ferrari's were lightning fast. Too bad there isn't more racing like that every event.

Lewis neglects to mention had he made good use of his pole position he wouldn't have been near Kimi. It seems the team's following his lead with Toto Wolff singing the blues too.

I really can't see any logic claiming this was deliberate, two cars touch and there's no predicting how either will react.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:04 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
From Lewis Hamilton's whatever feed this morning:

"Kimi said sorry and I accept and we move on. It was a racing incident and nothing more. Sometimes we say dumb **** and learn from it"

I also think that shooting his mouth off is a far cry from Senna deliberately putting Prost out. That wasn't a "racing incident" that was bad sportsmanship of the worst kind and yet Senna is lionized as a driver.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing