Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2018, 09:52 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,809,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Much discussion on the airwaves again about the tournament format, thanks to middle-of-the-pack conference teams like Kansas State and Florida State one game each away from the Final 4. I love the Russian Roulette similarities to March madness. There is merit to some of the arguments however. And why college basketball's regular season is meaningless. Kansas State beats an 8, a 16, and a 5 seed- and in the blink of an eye, they're one game from the Final 4. You think about maybe byes for teams, but everybody would moan about it screwing up the logistics of bracket contests. Maybe the first two rounds played on the home courts of the higher seeds, as they do in the women's game? I don't know the ideal situation.
Most of the time the higher seeds are set-up close to home. I like the idea of moving to a site gives the fans, players an opportunity to travel too. The regular season at least gives you an idea of what kind of team is a matchup problem for some squads.

Like you said KSU beats an 8, a 16 and a 5 (that didn't play well). Now they get an 11 that will play the type of game that KSU loves (slow tempo). They've had an ideal set-up.

FSU has shown flashes of what they can be throughout the year (beating Florida, UNC, Va Tech in Blacksburg, Louisville, Clemson) they are finally playing consistently well over the last three games otherwise they've been up and down. They can also be a less than ideal matchup for some teams.

This is probably the wrong year to bring up a Bye with a 16 beating a 1 and the amount of upsets and higher seeds moving on throughout the tournament.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 10:04 AM

939 posts, read 506,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Most of the time the higher seeds are set-up close to home. I like the idea of moving to a site gives the fans, players an opportunity to travel too. The regular season at least gives you an idea of what kind of team is a matchup problem for some squads.

Like you said KSU beats an 8, a 16 and a 5 (that didn't play well). Now they get an 11 that will play the type of game that KSU loves (slow tempo). They've had an ideal set-up.

FSU has shown flashes of what they can be throughout the year (beating Florida, UNC, Va Tech in Blacksburg, Louisville, Clemson) they are finally playing consistently well over the last three games otherwise they've been up and down. They can also be a less than ideal matchup for some teams.

This is probably the wrong year to bring up a Bye with a 16 beating a 1 and the amount of upsets and higher seeds moving on throughout the tournament.
More parity is why this stuff is happening more frequently. But whether a 16 beats a 1 or not, I think still there is the separate issue of incentivizing the regular season more, i.e motivation. Believe me, I love the tournament. But something seems adrift when a 9 seeded team can beat nobody better than a 5 seed and get to the Final Four. I understand Kansas State isn't as fault: they just play whomever is in front of them. But perhaps re-seeding teams after each round? I know- more logistical nightmares, and again, nobody can realistically do a bracket from 68 teams down to one. Just throwing that out there.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:41 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,809,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
More parity is why this stuff is happening more frequently. But whether a 16 beats a 1 or not, I think still there is the separate issue of incentivizing the regular season more, i.e motivation. Believe me, I love the tournament. But something seems adrift when a 9 seeded team can beat nobody better than a 5 seed and get to the Final Four. I understand Kansas State isn't as fault: they just play whomever is in front of them. But perhaps re-seeding teams after each round? I know- more logistical nightmares, and again, nobody can realistically do a bracket from 68 teams down to one. Just throwing that out there.
Well you said it - it would be a logistical nightmare.

I think most fans don't realize the very slight margin separating the top 15 from next 15 and even the next 15. A bad matchup or a bad shooting night and the committees 35th rank team who likely has 9-10 seed is beating a 2-3 seed. That's not to say you can't seed teams because a 35 game schedule prior to the tournament is a decent indicator or future success, but of course it doesn't account for the two things I mentioned above.

I called Clemson over Kansas an upset, but quite honestly I don't think it is.

Not blaming KSU for where they are at all. Kentucky reverted back to December and January Kentucky (struggling from the perimeter and not taking care of the ball) but KSU will play a team that plays right into their game this Saturday.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:43 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,099,271 times
Maybe Syracuse can bore Duke into submission.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Well you said it - it would be a logistical nightmare.

I think most fans don't realize the very slight margin separating the top 15 from next 15 and even the next 15. A bad matchup or a bad shooting night and the committees 35th rank team who likely has 9-10 seed is beating a 2-3 seed. That's not to say you can't seed teams because a 35 game schedule prior to the tournament is a decent indicator or future success, but of course it doesn't account for the two things I mentioned above.

I called Clemson over Kansas an upset, but quite honestly I don't think it is.

Not blaming KSU for where they are at all. Kentucky reverted back to December and January Kentucky (struggling from the perimeter and not taking care of the ball) but KSU will play a team that plays right into their game this Saturday.
I will say this, and for as little as I saw Kansas State play this season: especially with or without Dean Wade, that isn't the same Kansas State I saw before yesterday. And I've seen this from other teams as well. Its one thing for teams to start to gel, in large because of important freshmen on the roster (inexperience). But it is amazing some times to see it almost without any reasonable explanation. Kansas State played like a team that is Final Four worthy yesterday, no matter who the opponent.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:14 PM

29,527 posts, read 22,695,541 times
Furious comeback by Clemson!

Old 03-23-2018, 07:18 PM

29,527 posts, read 22,695,541 times
Too many three's by Clemson.

Oh well, it was a valiant effort.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:34 PM

That Double T involving Spelman and the WVA player with the monster dunk is a prototype example of this sport becoming too far over-officiated at times. A simple whistle and quick warning would have more than sufficed.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

That comeback cost a lot of Kansas backers though by a half point! Ironically, same thing last game for Kansas vs Seton Hall with a crazy 3 pointer at the end that wasn't so meaningless for some. I am still not enamored with Kansas, but they keep finding a way. Seems for so long, even the Roy Williams years, the less regarded KU teams reach the Final 4. The vintage teams fold like a cheap tent. This is not a vintage Kansas team despite the 1 seed.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:02 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,601,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

the guy on Clemson got the Grayson Allen treatment on that f1 reviewed just before the half, that was some garbage and they still got rather close. refs were clearly keeping Villinova in the game against WVA as well bummer they didnt just let them play
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball