Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 11:49 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Listening to the radio last week I was surprised at how positive the reaction was towards the comments he made. He certainly has a point, but he did come off as pretty arrogant by basically saying he was so awesome and everyone needs to come up to his level, since although he's certainly very talented, he's nowhere near perfect. I think he just needs to pick his words a little better.
I agree, but lets think about this. This guy is a ROOKIE and the face of the whole organization is being put on his shoulders..its alot of responsibility and I bet next year he will continue to grow into his position. If this team gets a defense and Newton stops thinking he has to do it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I agree, but lets think about this. This guy is a ROOKIE and the face of the whole organization is being put on his shoulders..its alot of responsibility and I bet next year he will continue to grow into his position. If this team gets a defense and Newton stops thinking he has to do it all.
Did anyone notice that at the end of the half, the Panthers chose to run the ball 3 times instead of going after it to get down the field. Cam was ticked and he showed it and I think he was right. Atlanta was DOWN right there and instead of taking advantage, the coaching staff chose to sit on the lead. I understand not wanting to make a mistake but that was a chance to add 3 points. I think they were too tentative ...

How bout them Giants last night! Say want you want about Eli but he knows how to win.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:30 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Good stuff all around..remember last year when nobody gave a damn about the Panthers!!! You, like me, understand it's a process..they won't lose leads like that next year.
We are 17 games (when you count preseason) into this season and this was the worst one of all. After the pitch interception, Newton gave up. The rest of the team followed. Who says this won't happen next year when opposing team defenses have a full game on him so he can't run at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachInTheSky
The Panthers are a young team,but they are starting to put things together.
They are not a young team. 3/4 the starters are 5+ year veterans.

If you want to see a young team, see Tampa Bay. QB Freeman (3), RB Blount (2), WR Williams (2), WR Benn (2), DE Clayborn (R), DE Bowers (R), DT Price (2), LB Foster (R), KR Parker (2) and 4 other starters are at 4 years. That means outside the o-line, one DT, and one CB, the rest of them are super young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03
Did anyone notice that at the end of the half, the Panthers chose to run the ball 3 times instead of going after it to get down the field. Cam was ticked and he showed it and I think he was right. Atlanta was DOWN right there and instead of taking advantage, the coaching staff chose to sit on the lead. I understand not wanting to make a mistake but that was a chance to add 3 points. I think they were too tentative ...
When you up 23-7 at half, you don't risk it with only a 1:30 left. You see what the run gives you and go to halftime, which is what coach decided to do. He can't predict that his team would be completely outplayed in the second half, especially when the team gave up after the first interception.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:30 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,585,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post

How bout them Giants last night! Say want you want about Eli but he knows how to win.
I didnt see the end of the half but it don't surprise me. Rivera is way to conservative for my liking.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:47 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
We are 17 games (when you count preseason) into this season and this was the worst one of all. After the pitch interception, Newton gave up. The rest of the team followed. Who says this won't happen next year when opposing team defenses have a full game on him so he can't run at all...

If you want to see a young team, see Tampa Bay. QB Freeman (3), RB Blount (2), WR Williams (2), WR Benn (2), DE Clayborn (R), DE Bowers (R), DT Price (2), LB Foster (R), KR Parker (2) and 4 other starters are at 4 years. That means outside the o-line, one DT, and one CB, the rest of them are super young.

When you up 23-7 at half, you don't risk it with only a 1:30 left. You see what the run gives you and go to halftime, which is what coach decided to do. He can't predict that his team would be completely outplayed in the second half, especially when the team gave up after the first interception.
The Panthers have been up in 12 of 13 games at half time and lost 9 of them...

If the coach can't predict the second half he should be fired on the spot. Every fan knew a 23-7 lead wasn't safe vs a division rival fighting for a playoff spot.

That being said... I put a knee down as well. They got the ball back to start the second half and Newton isn't the best decision maker yet when it comes to passing.

The missed FG was the nail in the coffin IMO. The guy is missing chip shots... if he made that the D comes out fired up.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
I didnt see the end of the half but it don't surprise me. Rivera is way to conservative for my liking.
And Newton was noticably pissed ....I disagree with the idea of playing conservatively there...Atlanta was dead in the water... Of course the way they played in the second half I doubt it would have mattered anyway.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:27 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post

Cam had a bad 2nd half NOT game and he didn't give up but got tentative (2 ints in a row will do that). For some odd reason you believe that the opposing defense will improve but not Cam? Based on your logic, Ponder (who got yanked) and Dalton are gonna be in worst shape as well. Wait till defenses catch-up with all those guys and TJ Yates. There really is no "logic" but I truly believe Cam will get much better. He pressed early in the 2nd-half with a 16-pt lead, a rookie mistake. He'll learn to take what they give you, and if nothing is there throw the ball away. Let the offensive coordinators make adjustments in the 3rd qtr and rely on the defense a few series. Tough in the Panthers situation because the defense has been extremely unrealiable but played well the 1st half. Played ok in the 2nd half considering Cam's INTs and short field for the Falcons.

The team did not give up, every game is a tale of 2-halfs and hats off to the Falcons, they regrouped with some great half time defensive adjustments and came out like a playoff team...the Bucs..not so much.

I guess Dalton and the Bengals gave up in the 4th quarter (9 pt lead last 6 minutes)..man, Dalton is regressing, good passer rating but 2 Ls in a row. Dalton is gonn be garbage next year.

As I stated before, Cam doesn't use the best choice of words at times, neither have a LOT of players but folks seem to pick and choose who they demonize.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:50 PM

335 posts, read 699,830 times
So many people talked trash about CAM after the draft, saying he was drafted too high, and now they look even more foolish than ever, still trying to say he's no good. He is clearly going to wing rookie of the year. You were wrong about him (and so was I) now get over it and stop trying to find new reasons to hate him. He is a BEAST. Period.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
The Panthers have been up in 12 of 13 games at half time and lost 9 of them...

If the coach can't predict the second half he should be fired on the spot. Every fan knew a 23-7 lead wasn't safe vs a division rival fighting for a playoff spot.

That being said... I put a knee down as well. They got the ball back to start the second half and Newton isn't the best decision maker yet when it comes to passing.

The missed FG was the nail in the coffin IMO. The guy is missing chip shots... if he made that the D comes out fired up.
Jim Mora thought the same thing (so did I). Jim Mora stressed just before half-time, don't go anywhere folks, it's gonna get tight and go down to the wire.

I can't blame Rivera for being conservative in that situation.

The kicker is not Kasey and far from being clutch.

Panthers can't manage a 2nd-half lead because the offensive coord hasn't effectively incorporated the running game. When Dwill and Jstew only get 15 touches combined, that's a problem...take the ball out of the rookie QB's hands in the 2nd half. 1st and 2nd series of 2nd half should've been screen, run, tight end dink and dunk till around mid-field...use the CLOCK, rest the D, limit turnovers. Make the Falcons have to drive the entire field, we played right into their hands yesterday. The offensive coord is awesome, but have to question some of the 2nd half play calling this season.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goindownsouth2011 View Post
So many people talked trash about CAM after the draft, saying he was drafted too high, and now they look even more foolish than ever, still trying to say he's no good. He is clearly going to wing rookie of the year. You were wrong about him (and so was I) now get over it and stop trying to find new reasons to hate him. He is a BEAST. Period.
Now, that's what a real man does, OK I was wrong, case closed...instead of, not enough charity work, that towel-head thingy, laptop, and best of all..every week:

Cam...73.2%, 2:2,
Dalton. ...200%....4:2 (me-love-some-him)
TJ Yates...157%..2:1
Ponder....303%...(doesn't matter, from Free Shoe U)..
....LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte