Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2012, 04:21 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,770,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Wayne View Post
God created 2 people and they have had offspring, none of which are "hardwired" for any specific sin. Sorry, God did not make people sin. People choose to sin.
Well clearly you're not very well educated, so there is no sense arguing with you over this. Sexual orientation is biological. It's found in every animal species on Earth, and the Gay brain is structurally different than the straight brain. This is proven on MRI and PET brain scans.

Keep living in ignorance though. All you're doing is turning people away from God, which you will be judged for. But since there is no point in entertaining your delusions further, I'm putting you on ignore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 04:29 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Theist View Post
Slavery existed before God gave Israel laws to protect the slave. The Bible doesn't say the sun revolves around the Earth and it doesn't state the age of the planet Earth or universe. There are no plagiarized stories; the Bible is against magic and doesn't borrow from other religions and cultures, it hasn't been rewritten and although it contains symbolic, metaphoric, poetic and allegorical portions it is to be taken for the most part, literally. A serious critic of the Bible might have gotten at least something right.

The Plagiarism of the Bible | P1 - YouTube

Slavery in the Bible: Slavery Dialogs (1 of 3) - YouTube

Earth is 6,000 Years Old - YouTube

Magic and Miracles - Mysteries of the Bible - YouTube

Intelligence (IQ) - Religious - Atheist - Democrat - Republican (By freedom0f5peech) - YouTube

Old 11-27-2012, 04:33 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,770,017 times
Quote:
Okay. Lets look at your statement. The King James Version was written in 1611 A.D. so your ill-informed about it having been added in 1950.
Show me a single mention of the word homosexual or homosexuality in the King James Bible. "Abusers of themselves" does not mean homosexual. During the Protestant Reformation, it meant masturbators, and is still listed that way in Martin Luther's Bible and Greek dictionaries.

Quote:
The KJV uses the word "effeminate," the NIV uses the term "male prostitues," the Jerusalem Bible uses the term "sodomites," and Today's English Version uses the term "homosexual perverts." The Amplified Bible uses the term "perverse, unnatural, abhorrent and detestable."
A sodomite was not a homosexual. Read Deuteronomy 23 in the KJV. It specifically says a sodomite as a temple prostitute. And effeminate comes from a word that originally meant moral weakness. It had nothing to do with our description of feminine acting men. That word alone has changed meaning dozens of times over the centuries.

Quote:
Lets look at the NIV. "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes [Greek: malakos] nor homosexual offenders [Greek: arsenokoites] nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were."

The Greek Malakos comes from a root word meaning soft, and so metaphorically can be uses as effeminate. W.E. Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words points out that in a negative application it would apply to forms of sexual lewdness. Malakai is the modern Greek term for masturbation.

Arsenokoites is used by Paul again at 1 Timothy 1:10. The Living Bible translates it there as "homosexuals," James Moffatt's New Translation renders it "sodomites," The New English Bible as "perverts."

At Romans 1:26, 27, in The New Testament in Modern English by J. B. Phillips, it says: "God therefore handed them over to disgraceful passions. Their women exchanged the normal practices of sexual intercourse for something which is abnormal and unnatural. Similarly the men, turning from natural intercourse with women, were swept into lustful passions for one another."

The Bible is pretty clear.
Not even going to entertain the rest of your ignorance. Arsenokoites has never in human history meant gay people. Classical vice lists include it as an economic crime, not a sexual one. It's even used to refer to relationships between a man and a woman. How can it mean homosexuals when it's referring to an opposite sex couple? And the fact that Arsenokoites is 1 singular, and 2 masculine, means it's impossible to refer to lesbians. Homosexual includes lesbians. That's proof of publisher bias.

As for Romans 1. Congratulations on removing that from context. Did you happen to notice that it's specifically referring to pagan worship rituals and Christians returning to creating idols of animals instead of worshipping God? Did you happen to notice that the same-sex behavior mentioned is the punishment, not the crime? Did you also happen to read Romans 2, where it says no body is to condemn those people in Romans 1, because you do the exact same things as them? By your logic, if Romans 1 is referring to gays, Romans 2 is calling all humans gay. Failed logic.

Try educating yourself and stop buying into the English corrupted Bible nonsense. Your views are wrong.

http://www.clgs.org/arsenokoités-an...d-consequences

http://wordandworld.luthersem.edu/co...3_Hultgren.pdf

anthropologist: When Same-Sex Marriage Was a Christian Rite

History of Arsenokoites - Bible Abuse Directed at Homosexuals

Around 35 A.D., the Jewish philosopher Philo (a contemporary of Paul’s) held that arsenokoites referred to shrine prostitution (Philo, The Special Laws, III, VII, 40-42).

Old 11-27-2012, 04:41 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,379,056 times
Quote:
God created 2 people and they have had offspring, none of which are "hardwired" for any specific sin. Sorry, God did not make people sin. People choose to sin.
First of all, if you believe in original sin, God created the feature of sin that one sin condemns you and all your offspring to be born into sin and God also knew Adam and Eve would sin, so in many ways because of God's design, we ARE hardwired for sin. Secondly, recent studies have proven that most homosexual "hardwiring" happens in the womb (the place God supposedly "Knit" all of us together according to David). Lastly, it has not been conclusively proven here as of yet that the same type of homosexuality that predominantly exists today is the same that is being condemned in the bible since almost every instance of it in the bible has some connection with some form of idolatrous practice (likely in connection to Cults like Cybele and Dionysus) or degrading cultural customs of that time.

Last edited by Jrhockney; 11-27-2012 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: Somehow a huge sentence in my original writing got deleted

Old 11-27-2012, 07:03 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,691,443 times
Quote:
Slavery existed before God gave Israel laws to protect the slave. The Bible doesn't say the sun revolves around the Earth and it doesn't state the age of the planet Earth or universe. There are no plagiarized stories; the Bible is against magic and doesn't borrow from other religions and cultures, it hasn't been rewritten and although it contains symbolic, metaphoric, poetic and allegorical portions it is to be taken for the most part, literally. A serious critic of the Bible might have gotten at least something right.
Laws to protect slaves? Like, you can beat your slave as long as he doesn't die within two day? That type of protection? Why didn't God just state that one human being owning another is a sin? He also orders homosexuals to be murdered. If the god of the Bible exists, he certainly is a cruel sob.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
That's a good idea. You can't handle the truth and that's all I will ever give you.
How about some superior argumentation, oh great truth teller? The whole "I don't really know how to respond to your arguments, all I know is that I'm right" thing really doesn't go very far...even on a Christian forum. But yeah, maybe its better that you two get off each others throats

Old 11-27-2012, 09:50 PM

167 posts, read 179,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
How about some superior argumentation, oh great truth teller? The whole "I don't really know how to respond to your arguments, all I know is that I'm right" thing really doesn't go very far...even on a Christian forum.
It doesn't? That's news to me. It's the same as an atheist forum. They are all the same. We . . . are all the same.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
It doesn't? That's news to me. It's the same as an atheist forum. They are all the same. We . . . are all the same.
Agreed

Old 11-27-2012, 10:01 PM

167 posts, read 179,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Laws to protect slaves? Like, you can beat your slave as long as he doesn't die within two day? That type of protection? Why didn't God just state that one human being owning another is a sin? He also orders homosexuals to be murdered. If the god of the Bible exists, he certainly is a cruel sob.
Why? Why would God say slavery was a sin? What is a sin. If I were a homosexual, and if you didn't know, I actually am a homosexual, but if I were a homosexual in ancient Israel I would have two choices. Get out. Or stay with God, accepting his position. As a Christian I would have the same choice. It's up to me and who are you to question my decision?

I was born in 1966. At that time, in my country, the USA, a homosexual would be persecuted, exposed publicly, arrested for just hanging out in a gay bar. Now, in my youth I have seen a lot of gay bars and roadside rest areas. I've sat on the edge of a bed watching my friend die of AIDS. That is the reality.

The Israelite didn't go outside their boundaries looking for **** to stone. They all were gathered early on and read the Law and agreed to it. The same could be said for the early Christian. Some of them were thieves, adulterers, homosexuals and decided to change. That is cool with me.

What isn't cool with me is modern day Christians, self righteously imposing their morality upon the globe. Homosexuality and abortion. Stem cell research, for example, is none of their business outside the Christian congregation.

However, outsider? And I don't necessarily mean you specifically, just those outside the Christian congregation; your own self righteous imposition is no more welcome on the other side of the fence. No matter how politically correct it might be at the time. No matter how smug it's delivery.

Last edited by The Theist; 11-27-2012 at 10:26 PM.. Reason: Had to change the word me into the intended be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity