Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2012, 11:38 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
God created gay people. It's hardwired in the brain. Deal with it.
Where's your proof and evidence. I provided mine according to the Bible, the Word of God, where every word is God-breathed.

Attitude and insults aren't proof. Your proof and evidence lies with men, science, and psychology, all of which have been proven as faulty, prone to bias, and most often found in error. There are many different accepted thoughts on psychology. Funny how most of them contradict each other, even when it comes to homosexuality. The same with science. Science can't even decide if coffee and chocolate are good or bad for us. Those reports change monthly. And this is what you base your proof and evidence on? Now THAT takes a LOT more faith than placing your faith in God, the Father and Creator and His word, which is unchanging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 11:40 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,530 times
why is this in a christianity forum--and what does sexual preferance have to do with being christian????????

Old 11-27-2012, 11:53 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,101 times
Quote:
Are you aware that 1 Corinthians 6:9 has never in almost 2000 years referred to homosexuals/homosexuality? As a gay person, I would think you'd be more inclined to actually research whether your beliefs are accurate. Homosexual was not added to that verse until around 1950 A.D., and it's a proven inaccurate translation. Philo, a Jewish legal expert and contemporary of Paul said in 30 A.D. that the word in question referred to shrine prostitutes. Through the Protestant Reformation, it was universally translated as masturbators. And in every other use in Classical literature of the word that Paul invented, it never referred to sexual sins, much less homosexuality. In fact, some of its uses would make no sense if it referred to homosexuality because it's been applied to male/female relationships before.
Ever think to try looking at the original Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic instead of relying on the studies of other men whose goal is to make homosexuality acceptable and normal? You read someone else's "findings", found them palatable and easy to accept, so you did. You obviously didn't fact check anything yourself.

I did. I didn't blindly accept anything. I wanted to know the truth so I prayed, fasted and ask for the Holy Spirit to lead me to the truth. This lead to research on both sides of the issue. When those who PRODUCED the findings of their research were examined, it's interesting what turned up. Some were homosexuals themselves and others had their research funded by biased groups with agendas. (Science is VERY often funded this way, producing biased and faulty results.)

However, when looking into the original languages of the Bible, I went not only to biblical scholars who were proficient in these languages, but also to university professors and translators to back up (or debunk) the research I found that was done by others. In the original languages, homosexuality and/or homosexual conduct is what was referred to.

While I would agree that there are many faulty Bible translations being printed willy-nilly, I have found that God has still protected His word and it's message so that those who seek Him and the Truth will, indeed, find it (Him) just like He promises.

That's the question. What are people searching for? God and His Truth or excuses and justification for sin? Both are available and every person is free to decide for themselves what they choose to believe. But, with that freedom to choose also comes the responsibility for that choice, including the consequences.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:08 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,379,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Where's your proof and evidence. I provided mine according to the Bible, the Word of God, where every word is God-breathed.
Are you even reading his posts?! Sure doesn't sound like it. I don't know what your definition of proof is but if its anything like mine, Fiyeros made alot of points you haven't successfully been able to address thus far.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:16 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,770,679 times
Quote:
The Bible itself tells you it's not the Word of God. Stop worshipping a book. You're an idolater.

And you reject all evidence that disproves your ridiculous delusions, so what would be the point of me showing you?

Quote:
Your proof and evidence lies with men, science, and psychology, all of which have been proven as faulty, prone to bias, and most often found in error.
And yet, ironically, you're telling me this on a product of science.

Quote:
There are many different accepted thoughts on psychology. Funny how most of them contradict each other, even when it comes to homosexuality. The same with science. Science can't even decide if coffee and chocolate are good or bad for us. Those reports change monthly. And this is what you base your proof and evidence on? Now THAT takes a LOT more faith than placing your faith in God, the Father and Creator and His word, which is unchanging.
If they weren't able to be changed, they wouldn't be able to show the truth. You act like you are any different. The Bible says the Sun revolves around the Earth. Most cultures believed that for thousands of years. You claim the Bible says no such thing, because you have chosen to apply your modern day understanding (based on biased, faulty science I might add) and apply it to an ancient text to dismiss the glaring flaw.

Arguing with you is like talking to a brick wall. Completely pointless.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Ever think to try looking at the original Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic instead of relying on the studies of other men whose goal is to make homosexuality acceptable and normal?
Yes I have actually. And Philo was trying to make homosexuality seem normal, really? The Hebrew and Greek do not say what you want them to say. The issue is, you're presenting a complete double standard. Have you ever thought to try actually studying this topic instead of relying on studies of men who want to make homosexuality look evil and abnormal?

Quote:
I did. I didn't blindly accept anything. I wanted to know the truth so I prayed, fasted and ask for the Holy Spirit to lead me to the truth.
So did I, and our truths conflict. So of course, you will say I am wrong and didn't get the truth from God. I would say the same thing about you. Where does that leave us? Nowhere, except a standstill. Thus people like you are pointless to argue with.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:56 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,537 times
Quote:

Attitude and insults aren't proof. Your proof and evidence lies with men, science, and psychology, all of which have been proven as faulty, prone to bias, and most often found in error. There are many different accepted thoughts on psychology. Funny how most of them contradict each other, even when it comes to homosexuality. The same with science. Science can't even decide if coffee and chocolate are good or bad for us. Those reports change monthly. And this is what you base your proof and evidence on? Now THAT takes a LOT more faith than placing your faith in God, the Father and Creator and His word, which is unchanging.
You don't know that you believe in nonsense do you? I can't believe I'm responding to a post by an ignorant simpleton that obviously doesn’t possess the ability to use critical thinking or decipher fact from fiction but here it goes.

The bible condones slavery, says the sun revolves around the earth and says the planet is not as old as civilizations we know existed. It is filled with plagiarized stories regarding magic and miracles from previous religions and cultures. The good book was written and has been rewritten by humans like yourself. It's a book of metaphors that's not meant to be taken literal

Old 11-27-2012, 03:40 PM

167 posts, read 179,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
The bible condones slavery, says the sun revolves around the earth and says the planet is not as old as civilizations we know existed. It is filled with plagiarized stories regarding magic and miracles from previous religions and cultures. The good book was written and has been rewritten by humans like yourself. It's a book of metaphors that's not meant to be taken literal
Slavery existed before God gave Israel laws to protect the slave. The Bible doesn't say the sun revolves around the Earth and it doesn't state the age of the planet Earth or universe. There are no plagiarized stories; the Bible is against magic and doesn't borrow from other religions and cultures, it hasn't been rewritten and although it contains symbolic, metaphoric, poetic and allegorical portions it is to be taken for the most part, literally. A serious critic of the Bible might have gotten at least something right.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:01 PM

167 posts, read 179,781 times
Quote:
Are you aware that 1 Corinthians 6:9 has never in almost 2000 years referred to homosexuals/homosexuality? As a gay person, I would think you'd be more inclined to actually research whether your beliefs are accurate. Homosexual was not added to that verse until around 1950 A.D., and it's a proven inaccurate translation. Philo, a Jewish legal expert and contemporary of Paul said in 30 A.D. that the word in question referred to shrine prostitutes. Through the Protestant Reformation, it was universally translated as masturbators. And in every other use in Classical literature of the word that Paul invented, it never referred to sexual sins, much less homosexuality. In fact, some of its uses would make no sense if it referred to homosexuality because it's been applied to male/female relationships before.
Okay. Lets look at your statement. The King James Version was written in 1611 A.D. so your ill-informed about it having been added in 1950. The KJV uses the word "effeminate," the NIV uses the term "male prostitues," the Jerusalem Bible uses the term "sodomites," and Today's English Version uses the term "homosexual perverts." The Amplified Bible uses the term "perverse, unnatural, abhorrent and detestable."

Lets look at the NIV. "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes [Greek: malakos] nor homosexual offenders [Greek: arsenokoites] nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were."

The Greek Malakos comes from a root word meaning soft, and so metaphorically can be uses as effeminate. W.E. Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words points out that in a negative application it would apply to forms of sexual lewdness. Malakai is the modern Greek term for masturbation.

Arsenokoites is used by Paul again at 1 Timothy 1:10. The Living Bible translates it there as "homosexuals," James Moffatt's New Translation renders it "sodomites," The New English Bible as "perverts."

At Romans 1:26, 27, in The New Testament in Modern English by J. B. Phillips, it says: "God therefore handed them over to disgraceful passions. Their women exchanged the normal practices of sexual intercourse for something which is abnormal and unnatural. Similarly the men, turning from natural intercourse with women, were swept into lustful passions for one another."

The Bible is pretty clear.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Theist View Post
Slavery existed before God gave Israel laws to protect the slave.
God specifically gave instructions on taking slaves to the Israelites.
Quote:
The Bible doesn't say the sun revolves around the Earth
Yes actually it does. It also says the Earth is immovable, geocentric, and has a solid dome on top of it. Do you know anything about Mesopotamian cosmology? All Near East cultures believed that.

Quote:
and it doesn't state the age of the planet Earth or universe.
Specifically no, however, you'd have to accept that the Genealogies in Genesis are incomplete or inaccurate to fix that problem.

Quote:
There are no plagiarized stories
Noah's flood comes from the epic of Gilgamesh. All the gods mentioned in Genesis are actually from the Ugaritic writings.

Ugarit and the Bible

Quote:
; the Bible is against magic and doesn't borrow from other religions and cultures, it hasn't been rewritten and although it contains symbolic, metaphoric, poetic and allegorical portions it is to be taken for the most part, literally. A serious critic of the Bible might have gotten at least something right.
The Bible hasn't been rewritten? What do you call thousands of translations and copies over the years? The earliest Greek manuscripts alone have been corrected 20,000 times (we have documented proof in Oxford of that fact). Why do some translations have completely different meanings of verses than others? Why did the meaning of a verse mean one thing 2000 years ago, and means something entirely different now?

You've really never studied the Bible or its history, that's quite clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity