Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2012, 10:23 PM

167 posts, read 179,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
Agreed
Well, I mean, don't be overly bummed out about it. You have to sort of embrace it. You can't formulate an intellectual opinion of your own environment or the environment of someone else by selection. When I was an atheist at the age of 27 and I started to study the Bible in order to debunk it because I so loathed the hypocrisy of Christendom, my favorite scripture was Micah 6:8. In a good translation, The New World Translation it reads: "He has told you, O earthling man, what is good. And what is Jehovah asking back from you but to exercise justice and to love kindness and to be modest in walking with your God?"

Now, if you sort of dig around in the Hebrew you will discover with some difficulty, that the word humble used here means simply to be aware of your own weaknesses. And thus, strengths. Frank Herbert, my favorite secular author by far, put it this way: "Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." I don't think James, the half brother of Jesus would have disagreed, do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 11:44 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,379,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Theist View Post
Well, I mean, don't be overly bummed out about it. You have to sort of embrace it. You can't formulate an intellectual opinion of your own environment or the environment of someone else by selection. When I was an atheist at the age of 27 and I started to study the Bible in order to debunk it because I so loathed the hypocrisy of Christendom, my favorite scripture was Micah 6:8. In a good translation, The New World Translation it reads: "He has told you, O earthling man, what is good. And what is Jehovah asking back from you but to exercise justice and to love kindness and to be modest in walking with your God?"

Now, if you sort of dig around in the Hebrew you will discover with some difficulty, that the word humble used here means simply to be aware of your own weaknesses. And thus, strengths. Frank Herbert, my favorite secular author by far, put it this way: "Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty." I don't think James, the half brother of Jesus would have disagreed, do you?
Perhaps. I like that Micah Verse alot. It appears to come alot closer to the two greatest commandments than much of the old law and even stresses being humble.

For the record, I'm not really that bummed, its just sad to remember how so little true objectivity there is anymore. We seem become so entrenched in the world view we've created for ourselves that it becomes who we are and anyone who shakes our foundations in a new way is ignored, ridiculed, or in some cases in history, even killed. Its not wise to Become too comfortable in the penthouse of a shaky building when they are too lazy to reinforce the foundations or even see if they are re-enforceable. The top floor is a long ways to fall.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Perhaps. I like that Micah Verse alot. It appears to come alot closer to the two greatest commandments than much of the old law and even stresses being humble.

For the record, I'm not really that bummed, its just sad to remember how so little true objectivity there is anymore.
. . . I know. I know, but it is, after all, to be expected. We are floating downstream.

Quote:
We seem become so entrenched in the world view we've created for ourselves that it becomes who we are and anyone who shakes our foundations in a new way is ignored, ridiculed, or in some cases in history, even killed.
Yeah. What hope is there?

Quote:
Its not wise to Become too comfortable in the penthouse of a shaky building when they are too lazy to reinforce the foundations or even see if they are re-enforceable. The top floor is a long ways to fall.
We have already foreseen the fall, my friend. The getting up we must now focus upon.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:19 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Where's your proof and evidence. I provided mine according to the Bible, the Word of God, where every word is God-breathed.

Attitude and insults aren't proof. Your proof and evidence lies with men, science, and psychology, all of which have been proven as faulty, prone to bias, and most often found in error. There are many different accepted thoughts on psychology. Funny how most of them contradict each other, even when it comes to homosexuality. The same with science. Science can't even decide if coffee and chocolate are good or bad for us. Those reports change monthly. And this is what you base your proof and evidence on? Now THAT takes a LOT more faith than placing your faith in God, the Father and Creator and His word, which is unchanging.
Are you for real? The bible is a book of myths and folklore, it is not based on any proof. Fortunately, more and more people are embracing the enlightenment, and have discovered the Scientific Revolution. We are becoming a secular nation putting all those myths aside. We also see what organized religion is going in the middle-east.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Are you for real? The bible is a book of myths and folklore, it is not based on any proof. Fortunately, more and more people are embracing the enlightenment, and have discovered the Scientific Revolution. We are becoming a secular nation putting all those myths aside. We also see what organized religion is going in the middle-east.
The Bible never supported the geocentric theory. The Church, under the philosopher Thomas Aquinas did. It was really The Church of Rome and Aquinas against Galileo and the Bible. The church admitted their error in 1992. But to this day science minded atheist use it to criticize the Bible. The two verses used by the Church stated metaphorically that 1. The sun rises and sets. and 2. The foundation of the earth.

The Bible said that the Earth was spherical and hanging upon nothing hundreds of years before science. It was thousands of years between the Bible saying that the division of day and night was caused by the luminaries and the estimation of science that it was caused by vapors, in the case of night from the ground and daylight, from the sky. Up until only about 150 years ago doctors would go from the morgue to the birthing table without washing their hands. Had they paid attention to the sanitary Laws of the Bible they would have saved thousands of lives.

Anyone who compares the Bible unfavorably to science knows a great deal less about science and the Bible than they would like to think.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:18 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,770,679 times
Quote:
The Bible never supported the geocentric theory.
You've clearly never read the Bible or you're applying modern day knowledge onto the text. The Ancient Hebrews believed in Geocentrism. The Bible does not in fact say the earth was a sphere. A circle is not a sphere. You're manipulating the text.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:13 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,024,285 times
Quote:

Jw you are?...

Old 11-30-2012, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Jw you are?...
No. Much of my beliefs are similar, but I am not, never have been and never will be one of the JWs.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:57 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,024,285 times
Quote:
No. Much of my beliefs are similar, but I am not, never have been and never will be one of the JWs.
I am finding Truth through logic and reason coupled with linguistic studies...I am formulating that Yeshua never claimed to be HaShem...Taking into account Isaiah 7:14-16:

Isa 7:14 So, The Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold! The virgin will conceive and will bring forth a son; and she shall call His name Immanuel.
Isa 7:15 He shall eat curds and honey until He knows to refuse the evil and choose the good.
Isa 7:16 For before the boy shall know to refuse the evil and choose the good, the land that you hate will be forsaken before both her kings.

Heb 5:5 So also the Christ has not glorified Himself to become a high priest, but He speaking to Him, "You are My Son; today I have begotten You." Psa. 2:7

Psa 2:1 Why have the nations raged and the peoples are meditating on vanity?
Psa 2:2 The kings of the earth set themselves; yea, the rulers have plotted together against Jehovah and His Anointed, saying,
Psa 2:3 We will break their bands in two, and throw off their cords from us.
Psa 2:4 He who sits in the heavens shall laugh; the Lord shall mock at them.
Psa 2:5 Then He will speak to them in His anger, and He will terrify them in His wrath;
Psa 2:6 Yea, I have set My king on My holy mount on Zion.
Psa 2:7 I will declare concerning the statute of Jehovah: He said to Me, You are My Son. Today I have begotten You.
Psa 2:8 Ask of Me, and I will give the nations as Your inheritance; and the uttermost parts of the earth as Your possession.
Psa 2:9 You shall break them with a rod of iron; You shall dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel.
Psa 2:10 Now, then, be wise, O kings; be taught, O judges of the earth:
Psa 2:11 Serve Jehovah with fear; yea, rejoice with trembling.
Psa 2:12 Kiss the Son, lest He be angry, and you perish from the way, when His wrath is kindled but a little. Oh the blessings of all those who flee to Him for refuge!

As He also says in another place, "You are a priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek," Psa. 110:4

Psa 110:1 A Psalm of David. A declaration of Jehovah to my Lord: Sit at My right hand, until I place Your enemies as Your footstool.
Psa 110:2 Jehovah shall send the rod of Your strength out of Zion to rule in the midst of Your enemies.
Psa 110:3 Your people shall have willingness in the day of Your might; in the majesties of holiness; from the womb of the dawn, to You is the dew of Your youth.
Psa 110:4 Jehovah has sworn and will not repent: You are a priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek.
Psa 110:5 The Lord at Your right hand shatters kings in the day of His anger.
Psa 110:6 He shall judge among the nations; He shall fill with dead bodies; He shall shatter heads over much land.
Psa 110:7 He shall drink out of the torrent on the way; therefore, He shall lift up the head.

My question here is, that many use this verse to mean a prophesy of Yeshua, now if Yeshua is HaShem in the flesh, then why would He need to refuse the evil and choose the good?...I think that He did in fact follow that line of thought there and finally at the day of His baptism in the River Jordan, when Ruach HaKodesh came on Him, and HaShem stated that He was His Son, I beieve at that moment Yeshua became born from above, the first born of many, as it is stated elsewhere...And it is written that we have the right, through Him, to become the children of HaShem...How does one become a child of HaShem?...By being born from above...And how does one become born from above?...By the work of Ruach HaKodesh, just as Yeshua was, and therefore became the First Born of the New Covenant...

Old 11-30-2012, 12:29 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,630,254 times
Cmon does this really belong in the Christianity forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity