Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2015, 12:25 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I would agree with this, but would also ask, "If those good deeds are not present in the life of a professed Christian, what does that tell us?"
It would seem to be an indicator that he's a false convert. Sometimes things aren't as they seem...but it's an indicator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 12:50 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,787,613 times
Your light must shine before men so they will see your good works and glorify your heavenly Father.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:56 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,787,613 times
Jesus said to do the works of God as He did.

John 9:4 NRS
We must work the works of him who sent me while it is day; night is coming when no one can work.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Jesus said to do the works of God as He did.

John 9:4 NRS
We must work the works of him who sent me while it is day; night is coming when no one can work.
I'm certainly not arguing that we should do good works. We should.

But we are saved by grace through faith -- not of those works.....lest any of us be able to boast. The works do not save us or add to our righteousness.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:12 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It would seem to be an indicator that he's a false convert. Sometimes things aren't as they seem...but it's an indicator.
Okay, I can go along with that. I would say that when "professed Christians" deliberately and consistently behave towards their fellow men in a way that is contrary to how Jesus taught them to behave, it is a pretty good indicator that their faith in Christ has not brought about a change in their heart and that their claim to be one of His followers is a false one.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Okay, I can go along with that. I would say that when "professed Christians" deliberately and consistently behave towards their fellow men in a way that is contrary to how Jesus taught them to behave, it is a pretty good indicator that their faith in Christ has not brought about a change in their heart and that their claim to be one of His followers is a false one.
Exactly. That is spot on. Everyone mark this down on the calendar....we agree.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Exactly. That is spot on. Everyone mark this down on the calendar....we agree.
Well, I for one, have definitely made note of it!

Old 03-10-2015, 02:48 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,719,600 times
Quote:
I think we're on the same page, actually. Jesus does save us completely, 100%. Our good deeds do nothing to make him love us more, or less. Having said that, the idea of a Christian that DOESN'T love his neighbor, love God, etc....is an oxymoron. While we are not saved by those good deeds....those good deeds will be present in the life of a Christian.

Martin Luther said it best, I think: "Faith alone, but not a faith that is alone".
Vizio, this is a good quote spoken by Martin Luther. My favorite of his comes from his introduction to Paul's Letter to the Romans---"Separating works from faith is as unlikely as separating heat and light from fire."
I have happily given you a rep for his other quote.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:54 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,929,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Good thought, thanks. So did I.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Martin Luther said it best, I think: "Faith alone, but not a faith that is alone".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Vizio, this is a good quote spoken by Martin Luther. My favorite of his comes from his introduction to Paul's Letter to the Romans---"Separating works from faith is as unlikely as separating heat and light from fire."
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Good thought, thanks. So did I.
This one, by C.S. Lewis, is somewhat along the same line: “Christians have often disputed as to whether what leads the Christian home is good actions, or Faith in Christ. I have no right really to speak on such a difficult question, but it does seem to me like asking which blade in a pair of scissors is most necessary. A serious moral effort is the only thing that will bring you to the point where you throw up the sponge. Faith in Christ is the only thing to save you from despair at that point: and out of that Faith in Him good actions must inevitably come.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity