Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2016, 10:25 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Nothing to do with pride but accuracy........and the credibility of the Creator of the universe. If you approve of careless study and an indifferent attitude then just feel free to change whatever you like in the book to suit your particular denomination and it's traditions. Twisting scripture is where satan does his best work.

2Pe 3:16 as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures.

The Jesus I know is perfectly capable of knowing when 3 days and 3 nights is........maybe yours doesn't.
How ironic...

Old 04-15-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
They tried to use the scriptures as predictions instead of prophecy. That is divination and is NOT allowed.
The ones that Jesus fulfilled after the fact. Prophecy is only to be interpreted after the fact, not proactively. Because they had expectations of their own making about what to look for (predictions) they missed the one who actually came (after the fact) and fulfilled prophecy.
I did not tell him he was wrong about his religion. But, come on, missing the Messiah because of human-derived expectations about a worldly King to defeat the Romans is a major flub.
No, no....Messter Meestic no here...I need more Pledge....

Old 04-15-2016, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Didn't the Jewish day of Nisan the 14th begin at Sundown?____ The Passover ( Last Supper ) was held Friday after Sundown. Jesus was dead by about 3 0'clock on that same day of Friday, Nisan the 14th.
That leaves parts of Friday, all of Saturday and parts of Sunday.- Matthew 12:40
The fact that the Jewish priests understood Sunday (as the third day) is shown in why they wanted Pilate to make sure Jesus' grave was secure until the third day - Matthew 27:62-66; 28:1-6 - they understood what Jesus was saying.

There is also the scriptural example at 1st Kings 12:5,12 - " go away for three days "
Again, in Bible speak, Not counting three full 24-hr. days, but a portion of those three days when the people came back to him on the ' third day '.

Jonah did Not necessarily have to be in the belly of the BIG fish for a solid-full three days to be counted as three days.

I have heard co-workers who leave work at Friday lunch time referring to a 3-day weekend.
I have heard No one say that they were wrong in saying they had a 3-day weekend.
Sorry...no....More mental gymnastics...

Old 04-16-2016, 09:09 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Okay...and? What has changed? How is Christianity now different? How is the message of Christianity now different?

Jesus was not born on December 25th. Everyone knows this. Christianity did not end. People didn't flee in droves.

If Good Friday and Easter Sunday are observance days but not actually the days that Jesus was crucified, died, and rose - what happens? What changes? Do you think this knowledge will bring more people to Christianity? Will it make Christians better Christians?

Are you proud of yourself?

Didn't Jesus say something about worrying about the letter of the law while missing the spirit of it? Because that is exactly what is happening here - you are caring about the letter, and your own pride, than you care one bit about the spirit. That is one of the many things that drive people from fundamentalist Christianity specifically, and Christianity in general - this type of arrogance and fussy study of the words (while conveniently ignoring other people's evidence that destroys other widely held beliefs, but that's a whole other thread...) that misses the point of the message.

So are you calling Jesus a Fundamentalist then. Its his own words they are repeating.

Matthew 12:38-40
The Scribes and Pharisees Ask for a Sign
38 Then some of the scribes and Pharisees answered, saying, “Teacher, we want to see a sign from You.”
39 But He answered and said to them, “An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. 40 For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:09 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,287 times
I'm being somewhat redundant and may be opinionated without enough facts, but Jesus and the apostles supposedly had the last supper the day before Passover BUT if at sunset actually the START of passover. That would have chronologically been Tuesday evening and Christ was crucified on Passover at least based on antiquities and scripture. So from Wed evening to sunset Thursday is ONE day and when Thursday evening to Friday sunset then Friday sunset to Sat sunset ( Sabbath) is a TOTAL of THREE days so it's conceivable Christ rose at the end cusp of HIS Sabbath not Sunday but discovered risen Sunday morning? There is nothing wrong with celebrating Easter on Sunday as it's all good.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
How do you know Jesus actually said "three days and three nights"?
38 Then some of the scribes and Pharisees answered, saying, “Teacher, we want to see a sign from You.”
39 But He answered and said to them, “An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. 40 For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Seems like he was quite specific to me.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:28 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
So are you calling Jesus a Fundamentalist then. Its his own words they are repeating.

I'm not calling Jesus anything and you are showing your true stripes by being deliberately obtuse and ignoring everything I said.

Pride is one of the seven deadly sins.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
I'm not calling Jesus anything and you are showing your true stripes by being deliberately obtuse and ignoring everything I said.

Pride is one of the seven deadly sins.
I dont have pride issues! Its dropping your pride and searching the scriptures with an open heart is how I came to the conclusion its no way possible Jesus died on a Friday.

As a teenager in church, I asked the older people how is it possible to get 3 days from Friday to Sunday and all they could say is some....its the weird ways the Jews counted time back then from 6-6, etc...but since I never read the bible for myself, I took it as truth. They had no clue and couldnt even show me in the bible their point. So I opened the bible and read about the Feat Days and how Unleavened Bred is also a Sabbath and as I read more and more and then read Matthew 12, it was clear Jesus didnt die on a Friday or rise at dawn on Sunday morning, but rather they got there at dawn and he was gone. Thank God they didnt discover he was gone at midnight or he would be having midnight Easter service instead.

The problem is many Christians who think they are bible scholars are too arrogant to atleast admit their error in teachings, than go research IN CONTEXT for themselves.

So its not a matter or im right they are wrong, but rather reading the bible in context and find the real truth. You seem to have the mindset of what does it matter, if its a lie we celebrate it doesnt change anything, so keep the lie going vs adjusting to truth.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:09 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Quote:
I dont have pride issues! Its dropping your pride and searching the scriptures with an open heart is how I came to the conclusion its no way possible Jesus died on a Friday.

As a teenager in church, I asked the older people how is it possible to get 3 days from Friday to Sunday and all they could say is some....its the weird ways the Jews counted time back then from 6-6, etc...but since I never read the bible for myself, I took it as truth. They had no clue and couldnt even show me in the bible their point. So I opened the bible and read about the Feat Days and how Unleavened Bred is also a Sabbath and as I read more and more and then read Matthew 12, it was clear Jesus didnt die on a Friday or rise at dawn on Sunday morning, but rather they got there at dawn and he was gone. Thank God they didnt discover he was gone at midnight or he would be having midnight Easter service instead.

The problem is many Christians who think they are bible scholars are too arrogant to atleast admit their error in teachings, than go research IN CONTEXT for themselves.

So its not a matter or im right they are wrong, but rather reading the bible in context and find the real truth. You seem to have the mindset of what does it matter, if its a lie we celebrate it doesnt change anything, so keep the lie going vs adjusting to truth.
It is absolutely pride, but that is no matter.

I ask you again - What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Do you want things to be moved to Good Thursday and Easter Saturday? And what purpose would that serve? Shall we change Christmas too? Do you want all of Christianity to marvel at your discovery? Does your claim actually change Christianity?

From what I understand about Christianity, your job as a Christian is to share your witness and bring people to Jesus- Is that what you think you are doing here?

Old 04-16-2016, 10:00 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:

Seems like he was quite specific to me.
All good. That's what I was asking for. I didn't mean to sound like I disbelieved you. I could have worded my question better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity