Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2008, 04:41 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancofu View Post
Er? No one is following him. He's not our leader.

BTW. Darwin proposed the idea of Evolution by means of natural selection. The "natural selection" part is what you guys have a problem with.
No, I don't have a problem with Natural selection. I think that is what most of the scientific report titles that you posted earlier represent. Which are fine with me.

We do not look like our parrents, that is obvious. But we do not look like anything other than a human. Chimps were never related to us in the past. Each Kind of Animal reproduces after its own Kind. This is what the bible says.

Natural Selection is a Christian idea. If that was all that Darwin proposed then he would be thrown out because that was already being written about. Specifically by Edward Blythe, 25 years before Darwin. So, natural selection is not the problem. It is when natural selection is pushed to create new species which represent new kinds of animals, which it does not and never has done. Different finch beaks, do not make a new type of bird or something that is no longer bird. If we return to the Galapagos we will still find finches. The finches will still have different sizes of beaks. These different size beaks will still be hear hundreds of years from now. What it shows is the genetic diversity that God created into each animal, to ensure that that type of animal kind will live on in a sin cursed world. The genetic matterial for the beak make up always has been present in the finch. There is no new information added.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Define "kind" please.

Not all evolutionists reject the Bible. Ever heard of Ken Miller?
God created everything after its "Kind". This represents the original stock that the animal came from. For example one Kind that we believe existed at the begining is the Dog/Wolf kind. From the original Dog we get all of the variety in Dog that we see today from the Great dane to the Terrier. This variety is just the breeding out of specific traits from the original Kind. All dogs can mate and produce offspring (of course with limitations due to size). If we put all dogs into a room. After a couple of Generations we would end up with something close to the original Dog Kind. Some information has been bread out and lost, but no new information has been generated.

Because God created after each Kind of animal, Noah had to only bring one of each Kind of animal onto the ark. That would be two dog/wolf kind, two Mamoth/Elephant Kind, etc... Not the 5,000,000 species that you here people spout out that had to be one the ark. This is just not the case.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
You're rambling on about nothing and avoiding the question.

The Exodus is said to have happened 3,584 years ago. That leaves 2,416 years to go from 2 to at least 603,550. You also have to figure in all the other people that weren't involved in the Exodus. Figure in the flood, which is said to have happened in 2,350 BC, 875 years before the Exodus, how do you go from roughly 8 people (on Noah's Ark) to over 603,550 (not everyone was involved in the Exodus) in 875 years. Sin was rampant at this time so you can't say that inbreeding and disease were not factors in population growth.
No, I am not. I think that you are confused. The Exodus was just the practicing Jews out of Egypt. So the world population of this time would be far greater than this number. I think that is what you are looking for from Noah to the time of the Exodus.

What I am saying is the Israel (Jacob) went into Egypt with 60 people and came out in the Exodus 400 years latter with the numbers that you are saying 600K men plus woman and children above this. The population also saw a dramatic loss because the Egyptians killed many of the Israeli children ("In Ramah is heard a wailing, Rachel crying for her children..."). However we do not know the population of Egyptians that came out of Egypt with the Isrealites.

All in all you just can't understand how 8 people from the Ark can produce in 875 year just the population in Succoth. Where the world population of the time was probably in the millions.

Using the population growths found at AIG here (http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v23/i3/people.asp - broken link):

8 people with a population groth of 3% per year (the current rate in Africa) would give us a population of 1,366,663,526,153 people after 875
years. If I used 2% increase per year that would give 268,065,102 people in 875 years (for a world population). The current world population growth is currently at 1.7%. So, it is very posible for 600,000 men to have come out of Egypt in the the time you have stated.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
So we have every animal eating the same plant. How long until that plant becomes extinct?

How does the Bible explain the distribution of animals around the world?
The same way that humans have gotten around the world. They walked hoped, swam, etc... What ever mode of transportation that they use.

The earth was pretty much one land mass. After the flood people migrated to the plains of Shinar. It is here close to Babylon that the people built the tower of Babel. During this time lived a man called Peleg. It is written concerning Peleg that in his days was the earth divided. This is when the continent (some call it pangea) which was cracked up into the continents during the flood, broke apart and began the continental drift. This breaking up was such a common event known among all people that it received only this note in the bible. The animals that were on the separate land masses were then somewhat stuck on that land mass they were on. That is why the Kangaroo tends only to be in Austrailia and not have been able to migrate to other continents that easily. The continental drift was quite rapid at first and is now much slower.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:57 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Ice core samples are erroneously dated. The assumption that is made is that each ring represents a yearly time of precipitation. It is believed that you can count back the rings representing years. We have to be careful whenever we start making major assumptions about the past. Each ring could just as easily be one precipitation with hundreds laid down in one year. So, ice core samples are not a good dating tool since we do not know how the ice was laid down in the past. You may be able to look back a couple hundred years in the ice core sample where we know how it was laid down, but that is about it.
About what I expected. Complete denial of the facts because you know nothing about how to ice rings are dated. and prefer to make up silly nonsense. Precipitation does not cause rings in the core. The annual temperature changes do, but that is only one method of dating them.

. Methods of Dating Ice Cores
A. Counting of Annual Layers
1. Temperature Dependent
2. Irradiation Dependent
B. Using Pre-Determined Ages as Markers
1. Previously Measured Ice-Cores
2. Oceanic Cores
3. Volcanic Eruptions
4. Ph Balances
5. Paleoclimatic Comparison
C. Radioactive Dating of Gaseous Inclusions
D. Ice Flow Calculations

Ice Core Dating

Old 10-02-2008, 09:58 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,472 times
I am an atheist but If you can give me even the smallest scrap of evidence that god exists then I'll be an atheist no more.
But you can't can you nikk.
Why do you believe In this this myth so utterly when there's not an Iota of proof to back It up?
It smacks of desperation. Just a scrap of real evidence please nikk that's not to much to ask for Is It?

Old 10-02-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
Entropy.

And NO ONE takes the whole Bible literally, even those who claim to. Whenever a non literalist finds something a "literalist" doesn't do they will try to "explain" .

Oh well this refered to the specific structure of the first century church.
Well the fact that Christ turned water into wine doesn't mean drinking isn't a sin, etc etc

Which is the same set of arguments the non literalists use. Makes me think of Ned Flanders

"I did everything the Bibke says, even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff"
What stuff contradicts?

Old 10-02-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
The same way that humans have gotten around the world. They walked hoped, swam, etc... What ever mode of transportation that they use.

The earth was pretty much one land mass. After the flood people migrated to the plains of Shinar. It is here close to Babylon that the people built the tower of Babel. During this time lived a man called Peleg. It is written concerning Peleg that in his days was the earth divided. This is when the continent (some call it pangea) which was cracked up into the continents during the flood, broke apart and began the continental drift. This breaking up was such a common event known among all people that it received only this note in the bible. The animals that were on the separate land masses were then somewhat stuck on that land mass they were on. That is why the Kangaroo tends only to be in Austrailia and not have been able to migrate to other continents that easily. The continental drift was quite rapid at first and is now much slower.
Pangea is estimated to have existed 175 to 250 million years ago.
Tectonic Plates

Think man...How on earth could the continents drift so far apart in only 6000 years? They'd have to move miles per year. Nothing could have survived the earth quakes and volcanic activity associated with such an event. And according to what you say the plate movement was greater in the past? If that were so you wouldn't be sitting on your computer stool gleefully awaiting end times...It would have been all over long ago.

It is amazing to me how you people use and twist science to fit with your beliefs, yet at the same time claim to reject it.....Lazy thinking in my opinion.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I have news for you Nikk. Evolution is not an invention, but the results of much painstaking research, whereas the bible is simply a book written many men of long ago days, and to say that it holds absolute truth is something I cannot accept.

So you have answered my curiosity. You will not say you are wrong, nor that anything in the bible is wrong, because you do not think for yourself....The bible does that for you. I guess I already knew that, and it is my failing to attempt to discuss anything other than trivial matters with a fundamentalist...It was doomed from the start.
I do think for myself. It is written "let us reason together". I have studied biology and many other things and have come to the conclusion that the bible explains the correct way that things happened in the past.

Evolution is an invention. It was an idea invented by man to explain the phenomenon that he saw in the world around him (at least that is the way science of any type should work). Theories even evolution can crash because new evidence arrises to prove its axioms incorrect. But in accuallity this is not the case with evolution. Since it is more of a story based on science, the story can change as the science it rides on changes. If their are insurmountable hurdles, evolutionist tack more time onto the theory or sweep the problems under the rug.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
God created everything after its "Kind". This represents the original stock that the animal came from. For example one Kind that we believe existed at the begining is the Dog/Wolf kind. From the original Dog we get all of the variety in Dog that we see today from the Great dane to the Terrier. This variety is just the breeding out of specific traits from the original Kind. All dogs can mate and produce offspring (of course with limitations due to size). If we put all dogs into a room. After a couple of Generations we would end up with something close to the original Dog Kind. Some information has been bread out and lost, but no new information has been generated.

Because God created after each Kind of animal, Noah had to only bring one of each Kind of animal onto the ark. That would be two dog/wolf kind, two Mamoth/Elephant Kind, etc... Not the 5,000,000 species that you here people spout out that had to be one the ark. This is just not the case.
Myth....Species cannot inter breed, so that argument is down the tubes, and even today over 1,500,000 species survive on earth...Don't forget that according to you, Noah would have had to include all the creatures that are now extinct. It is estimated that over 90% of all creatures that ever existed are now extinct....You do the math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity