Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 08:29 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times

Advertisements

The stranger was a gentile who had joined himself to the Lord and kept God's commandments.

Although the stranger who sojourned in the land was not a fellow Israelite, he was to be treated as a brother ("as one born among you") because God said the sojourner was required to obey the laws of God just as the Israelite:

"ye shall therefore keep my statutes and my judgements, and shall not commit any of these abominations; neither any of your own nation, NOR ANY STRANGER THAT SOJOURNETH AMONG YOU: (Lev 18:26)

"The sojourner could be circumcised (Exod 12:48) and enjoy all the privileges of true religion: the Passover (Exod 12:49) the Atonement feast (Lev 16:29) presenting offerings (Lev 17:8) all the feasts (Deut 16:11) and share in the sabbath rest. (Lev 25:6)"

Vine's Dictionary of Biblical Words

In Christ's love...In his truth,
Verna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 10:05 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
No...stranger still means stranger. That isn't what I said at all...now is it?

Nevermind.

Post #75...
You said the BIBLE said that brethren were the strangers. But Jesus said -"I was a stranger"... if you are strange to someone it is generally because you do not KNOW them... So essentially you changed the definition of "I was a stranger" to "I am recognizable as your brother" which hardly makes sense given the context.....
"I am recognizable as your brother and you did not take me in..." Yes that is what it is trying to say!
"I was a stranger and you invited me in"

Perhaps they were fooled into thinking it was not the KING but a peasant... but that is the meaning of stranger.... strange to them. The King did not just walk up in his violet robe and crown and they said...get out!

No... The KING dresses as one of the least and comes to them and they say...Get out!

So no.. this is not about seeing the KING for who he is and treating him good.. but seeing the poor or hopeless and helping them because they are a stranger in need of help.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:18 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
You said the BIBLE said that brethren were the strangers. But Jesus said -"I was a stranger"... if you are strange to someone it is generally because you do not KNOW them... So essentially you changed the definition of "I was a stranger" to "I am recognizable as your brother" which hardly makes sense given the context.....
"I am recognizable as your brother and you did not take me in..." Yes that is what it is trying to say!
"I was a stranger and you invited me in"

Perhaps they were fooled into thinking it was not the KING but a peasant... but that is the meaning of stranger.... strange to them. The King did not just walk up in his violet robe and crown and they said...get out!

No... The KING dresses as one of the least and comes to them and they say...Get out!

So no.. this is not about seeing the KING for who he is and treating him good.. but seeing the poor or hopeless and helping them because they are a stranger in need of help.
kat...you just don't understand...you don't want to understand...and your attitude...well...

So, this is for someone who wants to learn...I refuse to debate with you on this or any other subject. I've given the truth in Scripture...now it is up to you.

...but I am here to help anyone who truly wants to learn something!

In Christ's love...In His truth,
Verna.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:42 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
kat...you just don't understand...you don't want to understand...and your attitude...well...

So, this is for someone who wants to learn...I refuse to debate with you on this or any other subject. I've given the truth in Scripture...now it is up to you.

...but I am here to help anyone who truly wants to learn something!

Verna.
OK...No prob. Peace!

Old 05-25-2010, 08:43 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,129,837 times
Love your neighbors and your enemies. Isn't it this simple? Wouldn't that include everyone?

Old 05-25-2010, 09:18 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Love your neighbors and your enemies. Isn't it this simple? Wouldn't that include everyone?
Absolutely. We all came from the same creator. It's the human condition and beliefs that seperate us. God does not look at what we are, He looks at who we are. We are Love, each one of us. Some of us just don't know it yet.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:16 PM

723 posts, read 1,046,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post

Hello lego,

I have a couple of questions for you!!

Love your enemies, YES!! Love your enemies as yourselves, NO!!! How can they be an enemy if you love them soooo much??? Who would you consider an enemy???

Just curious!!

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE

Old 05-25-2010, 07:29 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
Hello lego,

I have a couple of questions for you!!

Love your enemies, YES!! Love your enemies as yourselves, NO!!! How can they be an enemy if you love them soooo much??? Who would you consider an enemy???

Just curious!!

GOD BLESS!!!
DALE
Dale,

How I see it is we are not to see anyone as "our" enemies --- however there will be people who see us as their enemy.

Also I would be interested in who you see as your enemy.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:30 PM

8,177 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Quote:
Hello sparrow.

We are only required to love our brother's, sister's, neighbors and strangers as we would love ourselves....as we are all living together in the will of our father.

We are commanded to love our enemies...and we love our enemies by showing them the fruits of our spirit...love, joy, peace, meekness, gentleness, longsuffering, forgiveness...but we are not commanded to love our enemies as we would love ourselves, or as we would love our brothers, sisters, neighbor's or strangers that live among us. That is the difference...it is written.

Verna.

Verna, I still don't understand what you are saying here.
It's like you are saying to love, then you turn around and say don't love.
I'm not following you.

The way I believe God has spoken to my heart is that all of creation is my neighbor. There is no-one that is NOT my neighbor.

Love is love.

How are you gauging what type of love to give? Again, I am not following you.

Who are your enemies?

Old 05-25-2010, 07:42 PM

433 posts, read 587,236 times
Is God love ??? good question.

([shivering] I ....s ...GGGG ....o ....d ....l..l....o...v?[/shivering])
(isn't religious people funny?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity