Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2013, 06:36 AM

370 posts, read 608,909 times

Advertisements

So what is the over/under before the Nep parents welcome their 28 year old son back? 10 days? 20 days?

Old 02-03-2013, 10:20 PM

275 posts, read 419,578 times
Default That is not true,.alot of Pro-Gay ppl in NC...esp. Western NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by germansoldiers View Post
I think you're out of your mind. Why any gay white male would want to move to the South is beyond me. There is a HUGE cultural difference between Charlotte and Connecticut. People in Charlotte won't be satisfied with "I don't go to church." They won't ever accept your being gay and will talk about you behind your back as a sinner. There are no ethnic neighborhoods in the South so the food down there is bland, mostly chain restaurants. The Southern idea of culture is reenacting the Civil War, or as they still call it: The War Of Northern Aggression. There are no "town centers" like in Connecticut. Everything in the South is sprawled strip malls, megachurches, NASCAR.

Trust me. I lived in Atlanta before moving to Brooklyn. Atlanta was hell on earth. In fact anything south of Richmond, VA and north of Fort Lauderdale, FL is a no fly zone area for me. Never again.

there is many cool people in NorthCarolina.
Charlotte is a very modern & energetic city.
great bands come there, lots of clubs,
car racing...
if you want a very gay-friendly town, try visit Asheville.
people are much friendlier in the south too, than in connecticut, that is for sure.
have heard people tell me their neighbors Never talk to
them in CT, except to yell or swear at them!
people have much much better manners down south.
you will like it much better down south nep321...can you put me in your suitcase?

Old 02-03-2013, 10:24 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNRollRocks View Post
Charlotte is a very modern & energetic city.
great bands come there, lots of clubs,
car racing...
if you want a very gay-friendly town, try visit Asheville.
people are much friendlier in the south too, than in connecticut, that is for sure.
people have much much better manners down south.
you will like it much better down south nep321...can you put me in your suitcase?
Does your keyboard have a capslock?

Old 02-04-2013, 07:42 AM

831 posts, read 1,965,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNRollRocks View Post

I'll call BS on all this (with capital BS) and give you examples all day long. I enjoyed my genuine neighbors in CT. Talked to us, knew where you were with them, GENUINE people.

I have nothing but locals with an agenda as neighbors now, and those are the ones that talk to us. We have the two different ones that try to bully us to use our lawn as a pass through to someone else's private property ("cuz we USED TO before y'all got here!"); we have the ones that do nothing but ***** each time they see us about our dogs (we are on 1.6 acres fenced in - **** off); and lastly stick notes in my box about joining their church (in 2 different subdivisions now). And just won't accept 'no thanks!' as an answer.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:40 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Well, I've been here in Charlotte for two days now, but was able to do a lot of stuff with my roommate, who happens to be a great person. We've done a variety of things, from eating out to shopping, to going bar hopping. Shopping and dining is pretty much the same as CT, with more of an emphasis on chain stores and restaurants. But, it's not as bad as people make it out to be. There are still plenty of non-chain restaurants scattered around, so it's not that big of a deal, and I'm not a foodie anyway. I do think that the grocery stores down here are definitely better than the ones in CT. There are good ones such as Harris Teeter, Publix and Whole Foods. And there are okay ones such as Food Lion and Kroger. But Harris Teeter and Publix are definitely better than Stop & Shop, Price Chopper, Shop Rite. Harris Teeter is at least as good as Big Y, if not better, and is rated in the top 10 best grocery store chains in the nation.

The nightlife was MUCH better than anything in Hartford, for sure. Granted, it was the Superbowl night, but still, the bars were full with anywhere from 80 to 120 gay men socializing, drinking and partying. In Hartford, I have never seen more than maybe 30 guys in a bar, even on "holidays." It's pathetic. There are many more gay men in the Charlotte area than Hartford County. It's sad, but true, and I was right all along about this. I have also been able to socialize with plenty of educated men...from teachers to business owners and managers. I have also found it to be easier to approach other men. They seem to be friendlier and less cliquey in general. There was a noticeable decrease in the snob level, too, which was great. Men in CT seemed to be more stand-offish and judgmental (especially in New Haven bars). There is also significantly more internet socializing for gay men down here. It's just a more actively social gay community than anything in CT. Of course, it's nothing compared to Atlanta or NYC, but it's sufficient and certainly better than Hartford metro. I don't need an extra large gay community. Just larger than Hartford. Charlotte has the same sized gay population as the entire state of CT, but it's concentrated into one metro area, which is much better. In CT, some guys down in New Haven were unwilling to meet up with me, because I lived up in Hartford county, which was "too far" for them. Pathetic.

I can't really think of any notable negatives about Charlotte at this time, though I'm sure some will be realized as time goes on. I guess the only mild disappointment is that it's not as established and interconnected with other metro areas as you would see with the coastal northeastern cities. And it takes a little getting used to hearing southern accents here and there, but it's not that bad. I see NY and NJ license plates multiple times a day...everywhere.

At this time, I'm not so sure whether to permanently commit to Charlotte, but I will be staying here for the entire month of February. I am however 100% certain that I will not return to the Hartford, CT area. THAT'S for sure lol. If I go back up north, I will probably settle in Providence, in part because it has a much larger gay community than Hartford.

Last edited by nep321; 02-04-2013 at 12:56 PM..

Old 02-04-2013, 12:44 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, I've been here in Charlotte for two days now, but was able to do a lot of stuff with my roommate, who happens to be a great person. We've done a variety of things, from eating out to shopping, to going bar hopping. Shopping and dining is pretty much the same as CT, with more of an emphasis on chain stores and restaurants. But, it's not as bad as people make it out to be. There are still plenty of non-chain restaurants scattered around, so it's not that big of a deal, and I'm not a foodie anyway. I do think that the grocery stores down here are definitely better than the ones in CT. There are good ones such as Harris Teeter, Publix and Whole Foods. And there are okay ones such as Food Lion and Kroger. But Harris Teeter and Publix are definitely better than Stop & Shop, Price Chopper, Shop Rite. Harris Teeter is at least as good as Big Y, if not better, and is rated in the top 10 best grocery store chains in the nation.

The nightlife was MUCH better than anything in Hartford, for sure. Granted, it was the Superbowl night, but still, the bars were full with anywhere from 80 to 120 gay men socializing, drinking and partying. In Hartford, I have never seen more than maybe 30 guys in a bar, even on "holidays." It's pathetic. There are many more gay men in the Charlotte area than Hartford County. It's sad, but true, and I was right all along about this. I have also been able to socialize with plenty of educated men...from teachers to business owners and managers. There is also significantly more internet socializing for gay men down here. It's just a more actively social gay community than anything in CT. Of course, it's nothing compared to Atlanta or NYC, but it's sufficient and certainly better than Hartford metro.

At this time, I'm not so sure whether to permanently commit to Charlotte, but I will be staying here for the entire month of February.
I'm just curious, but if not Charlotte, how long are you going to continue this search for? You went all over the country for 6 weeks and still can't find a good place for you.

It does sound like you would be happy in Charlotte, but it also sounds like you are still searching for a city that doesn't exist.

I've just never seen someone have this hard of a time picking a city to move to.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I'm just curious, but if not Charlotte, how long are you going to continue this search for? You went all over the country for 6 weeks and still can't find a good place for you.

It does sound like you would be happy in Charlotte, but it also sounds like you are still searching for a city that doesn't exist.

I've just never seen someone have this hard of a time picking a city to move to.
I'm definitely near the end of this search lol. Like I said, if I don't stay in Charlotte, I'll probably go to Providence.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:01 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
Glad to hear you are happy, nep. I truly hope this move works out for you.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:35 PM

48 posts, read 168,111 times
Glad to hear that you are enjoying Charlotte. It sounds like it has most of what you are looking for. Although I don't really think 1 month is enough time to decide if a place is a good permanent match for you or not. I would say at least 6 months to a year. I am a CT native, also gay, currently living in Atlanta and am doing the opposite move soon (my screen name is very old and I never made it to Chicago but too lazy to change the name lol). I will be returning to CT or Boston and really looking forward to going back home. Don't get me wrong, Atlanta is not a bad place and I have made some wonderful friends here. My decision to move back is for a few reasons: First is work related and second is I just miss the New England area in general. It will always be home to me. Sure it is not perfect and there are things that will bother me and annoy me in the area just like any place, however since I am from there I am not going with rose colored glasses on, and it really took me leaving the area to really appreciatre what it has to offer. I miss being driving distance to Boston, NYC, Providence, Maine, NH, the Cape etc etc. I've been in Atlanta almost 3 years now and culturally it just doesn't seem like the right fit for me. As I mentioned there are many pros about living here, overall its just not the right place for me to set down roots long term.

I say all of this to say to you just enjoy your time there in Charlotte. Nothing has to be permanent. Rather than focusing on the next place you may move to if this place doesn't work out, just relax and enjoy everything Charlotte has to offer. Please keep up posted as I have enjoyed reading your posts. Good luck nep!

Old 02-04-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago_bound View Post
Glad to hear that you are enjoying Charlotte. It sounds like it has most of what you are looking for. Although I don't really think 1 month is enough time to decide if a place is a good permanent match for you or not. I would say at least 6 months to a year. I am a CT native, also gay, currently living in Atlanta and am doing the opposite move soon (my screen name is very old and I never made it to Chicago but too lazy to change the name lol). I will be returning to CT or Boston and really looking forward to going back home. Don't get me wrong, Atlanta is not a bad place and I have made some wonderful friends here. My decision to move back is for a few reasons: First is work related and second is I just miss the New England area in general. It will always be home to me. Sure it is not perfect and there are things that will bother me and annoy me in the area just like any place, however since I am from there I am not going with rose colored glasses on, and it really took me leaving the area to really appreciatre what it has to offer. I miss being driving distance to Boston, NYC, Providence, Maine, NH, the Cape etc etc. I've been in Atlanta almost 3 years now and culturally it just doesn't seem like the right fit for me. As I mentioned there are many pros about living here, overall its just not the right place for me to set down roots long term.

I say all of this to say to you just enjoy your time there in Charlotte. Nothing has to be permanent. Rather than focusing on the next place you may move to if this place doesn't work out, just relax and enjoy everything Charlotte has to offer. Please keep up posted as I have enjoyed reading your posts. Good luck nep!
I never was a fan of Atlanta myself. I prefer Charlotte. But I agree with you that the nice thing about New England was that there are many places accessible within driving distance. It's funny though, because when I actually live there, I mostly stay in Hartford county anyway. But mentally, it's nice to know that those places are nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut