Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 02:03 PM

207 posts, read 452,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
thanks for the laugh. I didn't realize that Floridian was a race. I think of it as more of a tribe.

I lived in Florida for 15 years and my husband was born and raised there. We share the same observations.

There are two kinds of people. Those like me who simply lived in Florida. And then there are "Florida people" These people are made up of natives and transplants. One doesn't have to have been born in Florida to be a Florida person. They simply have to shut down when its below 75. Those are the only qualifications.
I am referring to the type of person that cannot function without hot weather and sun. They freak out if it's cloudy. They walk around bundled up in sweaters when its below 75 praying for the cold to end. They would rather deal with a hurricane than 50 degree or worse...flurries! These are called Florida people. They are a special breed all their own. Don't hate them. Don't fear them. Don't even pity them. They are a happy people as long as they can sun themselves like lizards on a rock. Moving them to Connecticut would be like moving a gecko to New Hampshire. It just doesn't work.
Allow me to help since you might not be aware of the definitions of the words I used.
Bigot-
1. a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.
2. One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.
xenophobe-
1.a person who fears or hates foreigners, strange customs, etc.
2A person unduly fearful or contemptuous of that which is foreign, especially of strangers or foreign peoples.

I never said that Floridians were a separate race. Read my comments again now that you are aware of these definitions. Also read yours with this new knowledge that you have and tell me where I am wrong.

You sound "utterly intolerant of any differing opinion." And seem to be "a person contemptuous of strangers"

I agree with you completely about the climate there. I loath it. Where I take issue is the generalizing of the people. Maybe I am being defensive and you might be a very nice person but IMHO this is how you sound to me. And it appears to be intentionally inflammatory disguised as "wit".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 02:16 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,001,555 times

So ah, how about those Mets?

Old 04-29-2010, 02:30 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

I hear they have been doing good since they called up Ike Davis.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:05 PM

207 posts, read 452,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbam View Post
Allow me to help since you might not be aware of the definitions of the words I used.
Bigot-
1. a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.
2. One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.
xenophobe-
1.a person who fears or hates foreigners, strange customs, etc.
2A person unduly fearful or contemptuous of that which is foreign, especially of strangers or foreign peoples.

I never said that Floridians were a separate race. Read my comments again now that you are aware of these definitions. Also read yours with this new knowledge that you have and tell me where I am wrong.

You sound "utterly intolerant of any differing opinion." And seem to be "a person contemptuous of strangers"

I agree with you completely about the climate there. I loath it. Where I take issue is the generalizing of the people. Maybe I am being defensive and you might be a very nice person but IMHO this is how you sound to me. And it appears to be intentionally inflammatory disguised as "wit".
Yankeerose: My husband made the last post and before you guys get into anything deeper & Jayct has to "mediate" because it's off topic & getting personal- I think I get what you mean if you are talking about specific "Florida People" but when you started out saying "people from Florida should stay in Florida" & "thanks for the laugh" is where you really insulted my husband. I get what you're saying but not all Floridians are that way. I think you two are missing each others' point. What we have here is a failure to communicate. I guess since we just moved here he really took offense to you insinuating that Floridians just can't hack it anywhere else.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:39 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,856,120 times
Quote:
Maybe I am being defensive and you might be a very nice person but IMHO this is how you sound to me. And it appears to be intentionally inflammatory disguised as "wit".
Yankeerose isn't a sarcastic poster. I doubt she was intending to be malicious.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:46 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,001,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Yankeerose isn't a sarcastic poster. I doubt she was intending to be malicious.
Hey, stop playing on the internet and get back to polishing my boat! I've got three Mexicans ready to replace you. Ingrate.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:57 PM

138 posts, read 420,726 times
Michael Flatley - ROFLMAO!!!!
And it's River Dance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
ahh yes suitcase city. I hear its lovely this time of year.
I went to FSU and but transferred and graduated from USF back in the 90's. That was when you could actually go to University mall without worrying about getting shot. If I still lived in FL now, I think I would have just avoided USF all together.

See? I'm tellin' ya. Florida people should never leave unless it's going on vacation. As soon as they cross the Florida state line they flail about like Michael Flatley Lord of the Dance people. Only worse.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:59 PM

This native Floridian found it quite funny!

Quote:
You should think about what your saying because you sound like a bigot. the majority of people who live in Florida moved there from somewhere else. Rarely do you meet a native Floridian. So you have met a handful of people who didn't like it here and moved back. How many times do you need to post the same thing? We get it you don't like anyone born in Florida. Why don't you start your own thread bashing all 18+ million people that live there. If you want to bash Florida fine, I hated it there, but quit making generalities about "Florida people". There is this new revolutionary idea about judging people by the content of their character, each person individually. How are you going to be judged. Are you coming off as someone who is tolerant of other people or a xenophobe.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:07 PM

How 'bout those Rays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

Old 04-29-2010, 04:09 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Yankeerose: My husband made the last post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut