Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 07:28 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times

Advertisements

International Relief Team are my go to folks to give to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 09:23 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,214,784 times
Word from Elbow Cay is that Captain Jacks and Harbours Edge are gone, Lodge is mostly destroyed as is Abaco Inn. Heard that Sea Spray is gone. Historic Hopetown is changed forever. Early photos show extensive damage to every building left standing. Every wood dock is gone. US Coast Guard already has at least two boats in Marsh Harbour and USCG helicopters are landing where they can to evacuate sick and injured. Those that would like to directly help the people on the outer islands of Elbow Cay and Man-O-War should give directly to Hopetown Volunteer Fire and Rescue. Search for them and beware fake fundraising sites and links. Red Cross money will probably not get to the harder hit outer islands.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:27 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
What a horrible storm. My heart goes out to everyone impacted by the hurricane.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:49 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,096,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
In the video I saw, the people in one story shacks were walking over to some two story concrete apartments. They were standing in the second floor hallways.
I hope that's safe enough. I know it's not the same type of event but those videos of the tsunamis in Indonesia & Japan keep running through my mind where all those buildings buckled from the force of the surging water, not to mention all the debris.

I suppose with the advantage of the warnings there wouldn't be entire huge boats crashing into buildings?

Old 09-03-2019, 11:30 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,099,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
The point about Floridians is a generalization at best. What about the people that can't move, the bedridden, the elderly, the poor that have no money or transportation available to them. Some folks just can't up and move inland or to higher ground on a 24 hour notice.
Regardless of the natural event or where it strikes in the world, there are people that can't escape its consequences.
There are also people who try to help, some effectively, some not so much.
Funnily enough, my car was in the shop early last week (tune up) and we could not get it out because the shop kept having to fix people's cars wanting to evacuate. So I temporarily knew what it was like to not be able to evacuate.

It was scary.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:42 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,411,685 times
Horrible. I want to donate items-not money to help them out. Waiting to find out whats needed so I can shop

Old 09-03-2019, 11:50 AM

1,289 posts, read 937,540 times
Was wishing and hoping this wouldn't have much of anything in common with Galveston Texas in 1900. But now the information is that half of Grand Bahama is under water.

Old 09-03-2019, 12:06 PM

225 posts, read 144,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
What about the people that can't move, the bedridden, the elderly, the poor that have no money or transportation available to them. Some folks just can't up and move inland or to higher ground on a 24 hour notice. Regardless of the natural event or where it strikes in the world, there are people that can't escape its consequences.
Think about this whenever there are mandatory evacuation orders issued in areas with many low income residents. What about those without resources to get away? Bahamian leader said as doctor he is especially sensitive to suffering of others, yet with hurricane history in his homelands, where is government emergency plan to get all residents to safe place? IMO no one should have to "ride it out", especially those with children/elderly at home.

Last edited by trouillot; 09-03-2019 at 12:14 PM..

Old 09-03-2019, 12:17 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Horrible. I want to donate items-not money to help them out. Waiting to find out whats needed so I can shop
Are you in a location where you can help out with sorting donated items for relief?

I think if you do that one time, that will forever turn you off of donating things rather than cash.

Even when people drop off exactly what is needed, i.e., diapers and food in cans that don't require can openers to open, the effort to sort it all and get it where it's needed is monumental.

Old 09-03-2019, 12:30 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Wow. There's some cold comments in here.

Floridians can move inland out of the hurricane's way. People in the Bahama's can't. I fear the worst is in store for them.
Have you people ever been to the Bahamas? Once you are away from the fancy resorts and the international banks, a good chunk of the population are dirt-poor and live in shacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events