Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 09:15 PM

463 posts, read 559,758 times

Advertisements

Wow....all I can say is I'm so glad I live far away from you prudes!

I'm in South Beach, the skin capital of the world You would all have a heart attack at some of the outfits (or lack of) women wear here. They are all attractive and in-shape to boot, and not afraid to show off what they have. The thing is, it's so common down here, no one really makes a big deal out of it. Only in the rest of the country do sexually repressed men have a seizure and the women go into a witch-burning frenzy at the sight of a scantily clad female.

This place is heaven for a single man like myself. So glad I got out of my hometown where all the prude mediocre women seemed obsessed with doing was enforcing Sharia law on any woman that made a modicum of effort to look nice and stylish.

Last edited by go-getta-J; 06-09-2014 at 09:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 09:21 PM

483 posts, read 691,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Might be true in Newark, Trenton, Camden, St. Louis, Detroit, NO, parts of Los Angles, parts of Oakland, and other bad places. But lewd behavior isn't all that common in most reasonably safe areas. Once again, why would anybody (man or woman) want to go nearby an area filled with GFN guys who cause trouble. Most guys out there are nice people, its only a few who lose control and act in an indecent manner.
Adi, I am a little surprised you have not encountered this in newsprint or its equivalent, about NJ female denizens or at least NYC denizens, because the reason why many of us have to walk around the “GFN” (nice nutshell btw ), is because… we LIVE there. Amongst them. Without parental support, a boyfriend (which we generally can’t get because we spend so much time applying stank-eye to or cringing away from GFN’s, that our civilized-man posture and facial expressions curdle), or a job that pays six figures; if we don’t want roommates we have to live in these areas.

Even then, I once got catcalled between Cartier and St. Patrick’s Cathedral of all places. Area could hardly be more refined. Snowy day, after early doctor’s appointment, maybe 4 other people on the street and all men, so no doubt it was intended for me; bike messenger whizzes past me, hollers “I bet you got a nice a** under that puffy coat…” You probably don’t have to spend too much time puzzling out why I was wearing that ankle-length puffy coat in the first place. I wear coats as long as possible for as much of the year as possible; and he wasn't even that great a judge of clothed women. It's not an... UNnice booty, precisely, but it's rather... long.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:39 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go-getta-J View Post
Wow....all I can say is I'm so glad I live far away from you prudes!

I'm in South Beach, the skin capital of the world You would all have a heart attack at some of the outfits (or lack of) women wear here. They are all attractive and in-shape to boot, and not afraid to show off what they have. The thing is, it's so common down here, no one really makes a big deal out of it. Only in the rest of the country do sexually repressed men have a seizure and the women go into a witch-burning frenzy at the sight of a scantily clad female.

This place is heaven for a single man like myself. So glad I got out of my hometown where all the prude mediocre women seemed obsessed with doing was enforcing Sharia law on any woman that made a modicum of effort to look nice and stylish.
There was only ONE person with "prudish" opinions here, but to each their own.

I had no idea asking a question about women NOT dressing revealing was going to cause such a controversy. I do think it's unfair to say people who do cover up are obsessed with enforcing Sharia law. Keep in mind even in Sharia law, the covered up women can still get into trouble.

But yes, I probably would have a heart attack from seeing so much skin. Mostly because where I live is ice cold a good part of the year.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
How do you dress like a wife? By the way I dress, you can't tell by looking if I'm married or single. I'm not super conservative in the way I dress nor am I a skimpy dresser. I do dress in figure-flattering clothes because frumpy just isn't a good look for me.
If someone's a wife, I'd say dress to keep their husband around. That's all that matters. It is possible to dress in a way that'll end up attracting other men but so what? No use pretending men aren't alive.

Dress like a shapeless frump said NO ONE EVER.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesunwater View Post
its not just trust...its also respect..a wife who walks around with her husband like she is still on display and hangs out all her goodies would likely evoke a negative reaction from a husband who respects her as a person.
Between...it may be amusing to see some insecure woman's petty reaction...oft stated comments from ''other women'' and women with low standards...nice way to justify that someone really needs attention and dresses to show off...either to other men or women...
i think that displays insecurity Big time.
as i said, to each their own...i don't care how ''confidently'' a woman walks around in skimpy clothes in public she will attract lust or disgust or maybe some women wanting to emulate the fake the fake feeling of superficial attention and the ego boost...trust remains in marriages...but respect for those other women may not.
to each their own...with all the trust in the world its a level of respect one shows for one's partner by dressing like a wife and not like an easy breezy.

this topic has gotten wayyy too far with personal comments and attacks on calling others insecure or calling on others husbands or marriages.
I think this should be a stalling point. One can also return to give labels of easy women low morals or lack of respect for others (not to mention one's own partner..why should one strut stuff off for other men and hope the husband will be SECURE enough not to worry? why should one do that? and such...

anyways to each their own. its not cool to make personal attacks on others because one wants to do what one wants in PUBLIC space, not one's own house. One can call others insecure and petty all they want, but it really shows the insecurity lack of respect on those who strut their stuff to get attention by strangers. and want their husbands to go along. sorry...that aint look like very respectable or actually confidant women.

thats my opinion.

i think this topic should either be closed or kept to non-personal statements. Im outta here. Its gotten too hostile.

I'm sorry, but you're the only one who's had such a reaction like this. No one here said they like to show all of their goodies and "strutting your stuff" is subjective. Not a single woman here said she wears skimpy clothes as regular attire, and heaven forbid if a woman is actually confident in her own body.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:34 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,685,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
If someone's a wife, I'd say dress to keep their husband around. That's all that matters. It is possible to dress in a way that'll end up attracting other men but so what? No use pretending men aren't alive.

Dress like a shapeless frump said NO ONE EVER.
If how I dress determines whether my husband stays or goes, maybe he's not someone I want in my life. What does that say about the type of man he is if remaining in a marriage is based on his wife's clothing choices?

There are women who dress frumpy for religious reasons, and this is what their husbands like so in actuality someone ever DID say "dress frumpy" even if they didn't use those words. What if one day the wife wakes up and decides it's a bit much for her? Maybe she really loves her husband and was totally okay with dressing this way for religious reasons at one point, but what if she changes her mind? Does she still dress this way to keep her husband around?

I dress to please myself and no one else. I in no way dress in skimpy clothing, but I'd never let someone tell me how I should and shouldn't dress. If I like it, I'm wearing it.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:04 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
If how I dress determines whether my husband stays or goes, maybe he's not someone I want in my life. What does that say about the type of man he is if remaining in a marriage is based on his wife's clothing choices?

There are women who dress frumpy for religious reasons, and this is what their husbands like so in actuality someone ever DID say "dress frumpy" even if they didn't use those words. What if one day the wife wakes up and decides it's a bit much for her? Maybe she really loves her husband and was totally okay with dressing this way for religious reasons at one point, but what if she changes her mind? Does she still dress this way to keep her husband around?

I dress to please myself and no one else. I in no way dress in skimpy clothing, but I'd never let someone tell me how I should and shouldn't dress. If I like it, I'm wearing it.
i will admit at one point I turned away from modest wear and did dress "normal". I dressed in shorts, skinny jeans, spaghetti straps, make up, etc. My husband did not really have a thought except was i sure thats what i wanted but while I began to wear those things, it weighed heavy on my heart that what i was doing was shameful to myself and to my husband. So I went back to Modest. I do see a difference in reaction from my husband between immodest and modest.

Its just clothes but it is true what you wear does say a lot about you. In a good way and bad.

-----
and not all modest clothing is shapeless or frumpy. You can be modest and look fashionable. There are also different levels of modest. Maybe its just straight leg jeans, not skinny. Its whatever you feel is ok. Today I wore a knee length skirt thats blue with brown dots, brown sandals, white tank under a blue t-shirt and my hair up.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:20 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
ShinyHappyLucy----If I could rep you a thousand times I'd enthusiastically do so; brilliantly and flawlessly stated.

Nicely done!

Old 06-09-2014, 11:29 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I'm a man and I have never read so much BS in my life.....You know damn well that you dress to get attention but if it's not from the right guy then you don't like it...What other reason is there for you to walk around with your boobs and butt checks hanging out.... Some Women seem to change the way they dress after the have found Their Man......but not all do....

Just own up to it that you dress to attract a man, there's nothing wrong with it.....and knock off all of the BS!

You like the attention or you wouldn't dress the way you do....

Even married women like to know that men find them attractive... If you didn't care you wouldn't spend so much on makeup and getting your hair done so much..
You are then self absorbed...I dress how I am comfortable and how I feel I look nice. I have a man and I am not looking for attention from another one. In fact studies have shown women are more likely to dress to impress other women.

Sorry chaps, women only dress to impress each other | Mail Online
A link to an old article.

I can tell you that when I dress the way I think I look good, I feel good.

If I were looking for a man, I wouldn't be interested in one that was so focused on what I was wearing rather then what I am thinking.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:42 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
ANOTHER masterpiece from another lady with intelligence and a very reasonable mindset---nicely done!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty