Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2018, 06:50 PM

160 posts, read 104,287 times

Advertisements

My wife is from the South and when I meet new people while visiting there,(often) I am always asked if I'm from California (I'm from Denver). According to my wife and others, apparently we pronounce every letter in a word and stress the consonant's hard. They ask the same thing when I'm in Chicago or Miami. I have always thought that i had the most neutral of all neutral accents.... Guess not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 07:07 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Ditto my husband from Nebraska, if it has a number on it; e.g. State Route 15, is "Highway 15".
Around here (NE Texas) small county roads are usually "FM 314" or something like that - the FM means "Farm to Market." And people will say "FM 314." Not just "314." Larger roads, which can still be rural, are typically called "Highway 271" or just plain "271" or "155"or whatever the number is, but it's not uncommon to for someone to say "Go out highway 155 towards Frankston - you know, the Frankston Highway." OK. No, I didn't know that - just give me the road number!

Old 09-04-2018, 08:13 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Just got back from a trip to Minneapolis. We went to a baseball game and I asked a worker at the stadium where I could get a soda. He said "What?" I replied "Pop. Soft drink."
When I was a kid in Western NY, my aunt, from NYC, asked me if I wanted a soda. I asked what kind she had, expecting to hear flavors like chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, etc. She answered "7-Up or Coke". First time I realized that not everyone calls a sweetened, carbonated beverage that same thing as I do. Didn't think to ask her how she orders what I call a soda in a restaurant. Guess the soda crowd has to be more specific when they order: I'd like an *ice cream* soda, please.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:43 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,545,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
When I was a kid in Western NY, my aunt, from NYC, asked me if I wanted a soda. I asked what kind she had, expecting to hear flavors like chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, etc. She answered "7-Up or Coke". First time I realized that not everyone calls a sweetened, carbonated beverage that same thing as I do. Didn't think to ask her how she orders what I call a soda in a restaurant. Guess the soda crowd has to be more specific when they order: I'd like an *ice cream* soda, please.
I'm confused. 7-Up and Coke are also pop/soda.

Did you only refer to generic pop as soda and brand name pop as pop? Also where can you find chocolate pop? I've never found it. haha

Old 09-04-2018, 08:52 PM

1,227 posts, read 633,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
"Get outta he-ya"
"Whatchamacallit"
"G'head" (Go ahead)
"It's brick outside"
"Dead-a$$"

all sayings I heard growing up in Staten Island, NY
I didn’t realize I said “g’head†until someone from California asked me to say go ahead. I grew up in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:21 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Pop instead of soda: the Midwest
Not all parts of the Midwest.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:31 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I'm confused. 7-Up and Coke are also pop/soda.

Did you only refer to generic pop as soda and brand name pop as pop? Also where can you find chocolate pop? I've never found it. haha
You must be the eastern part of NY. In Western NY, "pop" = Coke, Pepsi, 7-Up, Mountain Dew and any other sugary carbonated beverage. "Soda" = ice cream sodas which are composed of ice cream, flavored syrup, and carbonated water. As for "chocolate pop", there is (was?) Yoo-hoo, a non-carbonated (so not really pop or soda) chocolate flavored drink sold in pop bottles. We couldn't get in my my hometown, but when we moved to So. FL, it was widely available there. I believe it was made in NJ. But it's been years since I drank pop/soda/Yoo-hoo. Maybe it's not a thing anymore?

Old 09-05-2018, 09:23 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,545,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
You must be the eastern part of NY. In Western NY, "pop" = Coke, Pepsi, 7-Up, Mountain Dew and any other sugary carbonated beverage. "Soda" = ice cream sodas which are composed of ice cream, flavored syrup, and carbonated water. As for "chocolate pop", there is (was?) Yoo-hoo, a non-carbonated (so not really pop or soda) chocolate flavored drink sold in pop bottles. We couldn't get in my my hometown, but when we moved to So. FL, it was widely available there. I believe it was made in NJ. But it's been years since I drank pop/soda/Yoo-hoo. Maybe it's not a thing anymore?
Nope, I'm from western/central! At the corners of Steuben/Schuyler/Chemung. I know it's not colloquial Western NY, but it's geographically western.

Around here pop and soda just refer to all soft drinks. In fact I honestly hear both interchangeably, sometimes by the same person.

We call "ice cream sodas" floats! Always have. I didn't know there was another name for a float. You learn something new every day.

Yoo-Hoo is definitely still around. I've never heard anybody call it a pop or a soda though. I like it on occasion.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:04 PM

451 posts, read 365,539 times
If a Midwestern says Soda instead of pop they are likely from St. Louis

Old 09-06-2018, 06:21 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Nope, I'm from western/central! At the corners of Steuben/Schuyler/Chemung. I know it's not colloquial Western NY, but it's geographically western.

Around here pop and soda just refer to all soft drinks. In fact I honestly hear both interchangeably, sometimes by the same person.

We call "ice cream sodas" floats! Always have. I didn't know there was another name for a float. You learn something new every day.

Yoo-Hoo is definitely still around. I've never heard anybody call it a pop or a soda though. I like it on occasion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWSn0JFRiPI

I love me some Yoohoo!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.