Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2018, 12:27 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
We had our Indian summer in mid-September this year as it rose to the low 90s then it plummeted. We been having 50s, 40s and 30s now. Last October was more mild than this one (with the exception of the last 5 days) but hopefully we wont see any pre-November snow like last year. The leaves are turning and are at like 20% peak. I bet by next week it will be beautiful and I am having company from Texas. It will be cold but hopefully really pretty for them!
LOL we're having a house full of company from Ohio visit us in Texas for Thanksgiving. They will get fall colors twice!

Last year we had a really cold (for us) Thanksgiving week, and then it warmed up so much that I think it was about 60 degrees on Christmas day - ENOUGH ALREADY.

Thank goodness that next week the highs should be in the 70s, with plenty of sun (though we do have rain in the forecast the first coupla days of next week).

You know what I love? I love that deep, deep blue sky that's so common in so many regions during October and November.

I am hoping that the owls come visit us again this year in October. A couple of years ago we had a lot of them in our neighborhood in October and November. Last year I didn't see any. I want them to come back - they're cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 01:01 PM

340 posts, read 266,452 times
Maybe it's just me, but fall is shorter than it was when I was a kid.

Why do you think that is?

Old 10-05-2018, 01:11 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob1 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but fall is shorter than it was when I was a kid.

Why do you think that is?
IMO, summers feel longer.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:18 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
It's October 5th

Yea and its already been pretty cold Last year October 5th was still very mild. We're having highs in the 40s in the forecast. This didn't happen til late October last year, to put it in perspective. I have the heater on today, it stayed off til about the 25th or so last year.

Also, northern Minnesota has already gotten snow. I'm hoping the Twin Cities can fight off the snow until after Halloween.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:26 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Yea and its already been pretty cold Last year October 5th was still very mild. We're having highs in the 40s in the forecast. This didn't happen til late October last year, to put it in perspective. I have the heater on today, it stayed off til about the 25th or so last year.

Also, northern Minnesota has already gotten snow. I'm hoping the Twin Cities can fight off the snow until after Halloween.
Slight chance in Denver of snow Monday. Denver getting snow ahead of Minneapolis?

Old 10-06-2018, 08:02 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Slight chance in Denver of snow Monday. Denver getting snow ahead of Minneapolis?
I believe it. Denver occasionally even gets snow in September, I dont think that's happened here since probably the '80s. We have colder winters but more stable falls.

Old 10-06-2018, 05:27 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Well, I don't want snow in October but I am looking forward to temps in the 50s by the end of next week - that's the start of fire pit season around here!

OK,funny story time - and it's a true story:

I have a very irresponsible younger brother. Our mom moved into a memory care center last year so her original oil paintings that didn't fit into her room were divvied up to family members. She had a lot so I couldn't remember all of them. My dad was a Civil War buff, and she painted some paintings of Civil War generals for him. My brother was more into that stuff than me, so he got some of them. I say he got them - he actually had a friend come get them and she has been storing them for him for nearly two years.

So she called me the other day and said, "I have given your brother every chance in the world to come get these paintings and I feel terrible about just throwing them away or selling them - do you want any of your mom's paintings?" She described several and I didn't want them but then she said, "Ok there's one of some Civil War general." I thought she was talking about a good painting that my mom had done of Robert E Lee. I didn't personally want it but I figured that it was a good painting and maybe someone in the family would want it so I said, "I'll come pick that one up."

So I went over there and picked it up - and get this - it wasn't a painting of REL. Oh no. It was a painting of NATHAN BEDFORD FORREST. That's right - the founder of the KKK. I swear, I had totally forgotten she even painted this one, and I don't think they ever even displayed it in their house (thank goodness) but come on - that's almost like having a painting of Adolph Hitler!

So I was telling my daughter about how I ended up with a painting of Nathan Bedford Forrest, the founder of the KKK and I didn't know what to do with it, and she had a brilliant idea! She said, "We'll be there for Thanksgiving - let's burn it in the fire pit!"

So that's the plan! And I can hardly wait. Only in my weird family would this even ever happen. Well, maybe only a dysfunctional Southern family - one with a bipolar matriarch who loved to paint, a Civil War reenactor patriarch who loved to imagine himself as noble and Confederate generals as being noble as well -throw in some biracial kids over several generations, a family that looks like a UN delegation, and voila, you have Camptown Ladies Sing Dis Song around de campfahr in 2018. Good times!

I don't think we should do S'Mores over a fire from an oil painting though - what do you guys think?

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 10-06-2018 at 06:34 PM..

Old 10-06-2018, 09:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Snowed in Denver this morning.
https://www.thedenverchannel.com/wea...le-it-happened

Old 10-09-2018, 02:25 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,035,611 times
Quote:
It is not uncommon for the Mountain West to get snow before and after the Upper Midwest. My father has already gotten snow 2-3 time in Gillette, WY and we haven't even gotten snow yet in downtown Duluth. Lake Superior keeps us warmer heading into winter than the inland parts of the state. The elevation really influences the weather patterns. Duluth almost never gets snow in June, and I have seen it more than once in Colorado and Wyoming.

Old 10-09-2018, 02:31 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
It was 84F and gorgeous in Milwaukee yesterday. Too hot for sleeping with a low of 70F. The warm temps mixed with high humidity sure made for a beautiful drive along Lake Michigan this morning during sunrise. I think it was 80 again here today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.