Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 01:37 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,570,310 times

Advertisements

Smilinpretty, I'm so sorry for your loss. You're so new to the grieving process, but like others have said, you've been grieving for the last few years as you watched your husband slip away.

Wear your rings as long as you wish. There's no right or wrong, no timetable, it's whatever feels right to you. I'm at 2 1/2 years+ and I still wear mine. I was married for 38 years, and I can't see myself with anyone, anytime soon. I have no interest or desire to start all over again. I've gotten used to living alone, and honestly, I like it. I wish with every fiber of my being that my husband was still here, but he isn't, and I don't see myself ever feeling that comfortable with anyone else again. I wear my rings because in my heart and in my mind, I'm still married.

Take your time. Don't make any decisions or major changes for a while. You need time to get used to being a one instead of an us. We're all here to listen anytime you need someone to talk to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 02:28 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,299 times
Miss Manners wrote about this issue in one of her earlier books.

She received letters from widows saying that friends or relatives told them they had to remove their rings. Miss Manners said that was ridiculous and cruel. She said it's entirely proper to wear wedding rings as long as you want to feel part of the marriage.

It's only if you decide to start dating again that you definitely should take them off.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:36 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,299 times
My grandfather died in his sixties and my grandmother lived another thirty years and kept her ring on. It never crossed her mind to take it off since she wasn't interested in other men.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:36 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,282,391 times
My mom wore her ring to her grave 40 yrs after her dh died... Both burried together in Arlington Nat Cematary!

Old 07-09-2012, 08:55 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinpretty View Post
I was wondering today, how long do I wear my wedding ring?? Since I have no intention of dating, I told myself forever. I lost my husband a week ago.
I'm so very sorry. If and when you stop wearing your rings is entirely up to you. I don't wear my ring, but it's not because I don't feel any less wedded or love him less than I did when he was alive. I just don't want to wear it. My mom still wears hers, 13 years later, and my grandmother wore her wedding ring until she died 25 years after my grandfather.

Quote:
I have two maltese cutie girls, who miss their daddy.
My cats miss my husband, too. They've stopped looking for him (it's been eight months), but they're much more clingy than they used to be when he was home and paying attention to them during the day. Pay lots of attention to them and take comfort in their cute, wriggly furriness and affection.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:39 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,536,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
It's only if you decide to start dating again that you definitely should take them off.
Even then, it's your perogative to just move them to your right hand.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:38 PM

17 posts, read 44,027 times
"What exactly is a wedding ring? The wedding rings embody the continuous flow of love, a circle that symbolizes eternity where there is no beginning and no end. It is believed that love moves around endlessly in circles for better or worse. mod snip."

There are some people who view the wedding ring in this way, and so for them, continuing to wear the ring after the death of a spouse is the affirmation of their never-ending love.

My parents divorced a few years after the death of my brother. When my father married my mother, he took those vows seriously and he continued to wear his wedding ring after the divorce until the ring finger became deformed. He now keeps his wedding ring on his key chain. Mom recently died, but I think Dad will still be devoted to her and her memory.

This topic is an interesting one, as it touches upon so many values, history and emotions. To me, it is a very personal decision that one makes which requires no justification to anyone. Do what you feel comfortable doing and don't be afraid to change your mind along the way.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 07-14-2012 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: No advertising. Please provide links to Wiki, don't quote full passages

Old 07-14-2012, 10:47 PM

3 posts, read 5,867 times
i was wondering the same thing about my engagemnet ring my fiance passed away in may i was wondering how long do i wear it for. right now i could never even consider not wearing it. it does give me comfort but makes me sad at times. So many things to think about

Old 07-15-2012, 10:00 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,923,139 times
Wedding ring or a memorable engagement ring should be kept for as long as the person is comfortable wearing it.

The future may have a Grandaughter or Greatgrandaughter who could/would love to wear it as a heirloom.

I have a Greatgrandaughter that will have nothing from my wife due to unfortunate circumstances.

Situations will vary but still need some consideration.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:16 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer7653 View Post
i was wondering the same thing about my engagemnet ring my fiance passed away in may i was wondering how long do i wear it for. right now i could never even consider not wearing it. it does give me comfort but makes me sad at times. So many things to think about
Wear your ring as long as YOU want to wear it. Well-meaning friends (usually those who have NOT been widowed) will tell you what you SHOULD do...but those of us who have been widowed will suggest that you do what feels right. You'll know...trust me. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning