Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2008, 07:08 PM

858 posts, read 3,045,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxtronics View Post
Are you sure?

I think there is a fourm on C-D for you type of folks..

Old 12-26-2008, 07:10 PM

25,857 posts, read 18,882,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
No argument about more absolute numbers of Mandarin speakers---------most of whom are in China.

As for Spanish: it is still very provincial outside of Spain/Latin America.
Yes, absolutely.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:10 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,238,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Have a American friend down here who sells small items and toys etc at the local sat and sun swap meet. I visit him for a couple of hrs each day to shoot the bull and give him some stuff from the computer (news).

Anyway...the number of women who are pregnant and the number of small kids is very high. Condoms are available in Mexico....then hey it don't feel good...besides the church says to be fruitful and multiply. Many are NOT married (know of a couple of girls who are NOT)...when I asked one...she said it was not important...so there you go. She had two from a previous relationship...had one by a second man who later moved in with her and they had two more. What can I say. Steve
Sounds a lot like trailor park usa

Old 12-26-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
Chris, Chris, Chris, boy O boy!! sorry friend I dont swing that way..
Ummm, yeah. Sorry. Didn't mean it quite that way.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Para poder comprender lo que estan diciendo los otros Americanos que hablan espanol. Puede ser algo importante, tonto o simplemente algo comico.
Pero si tu no hablas Espanol, nunca lo vas a saber.
Or la respuesta numero uno, so you can watch Amigas y Rivales. That's my favorite Mexican soap.
Careful Kinky... them's fight'n wards 'round these here parts... turn that thar harse 'a your'n right on 'round 'n skee-daddle.

Seriously, what you're saying here is part of the problem. US inhabitants don't want to, and should not have to, learn Spanish or any other language in order that they don't miss out on 'something important' or stupid or funny. I can absolutely agree with this, even though, personally, learning languages has brought so much 'interest' back into my life (we all need a hobby, right?).

My problem is the idea of ‘forced language’ and infringement upon personal freedom. My stance, and I think it's a reasonable stance, is that in no official, government-related business should be conducted in any other language besides English (that’s what we speak!). As far as the separate issue of illegal immigration—they shouldn’t be here.

On the other hand, in personal affairs and in private business, there should be no language requirement at all. According to our founding documents, there can’t be. If someone comes into my town and sets up a ‘Dargwa restaurant’ where only that language is spoken within the private establishment… more power to him! That is his right! No one should have any say. Of course, when a merchant does something like this, it’s at his/her own peril (wouldn’t have a lot of costomers, methinks). But it IS their right.

I think some of the other participants on this thread believe that language should be forced in personal and/or private situations. That’s where I, and anyone who loves freedom, should disagree. If state control is used to tell us how to speak, how long will it be until they tell us what to wear, how to act, which religion to follow, where to work, what to do with our free time… and ultimately when and where to take a dump? Oh… and what to drink (remember prohibition?)?

That’s why I’m so passionate about this whole thing. Get the illegals out. Get our government functioning in English… and then be quiet about it. Let private citizens have the freedom to decide how they want to speak and what they want to do, as long as they are not denying others of that same freedom. Live free or die...

Last edited by ChrisC; 12-26-2008 at 08:22 PM..

Old 12-26-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Para poder comprender lo que estan diciendo los otros Americanos que hablan espanol. Puede ser algo importante, tonto o simplemente algo comico.
Pero si tu no hablas Espanol, nunca lo vas a saber.
Or la respuesta numero uno, so you can watch Amigas y Rivales. That's my favorite Mexican soap.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To understand what others are saying Americans who speak Spanish. It may be something important, or just something silly comico.
But if you do not speak Spanish, you'll never know.
Or the number one response, so you can watch Amigas y Rivales. That's my favorite Mexican soap.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:02 PM

A few clicks of the mouse and BAM!!! I understand Spanish!!

Old 12-26-2008, 08:04 PM

50,391 posts, read 47,131,977 times
Every City that is a tourist attraction usually has English down. That's good enough for the average citizen. I've been to Cabo, Panama and S Africa and had no problem getting around with English. There is no reason for me to know another language here at home. If they don't speak English I don't shop there.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:26 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,587,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
That's good to know... I speak german, of course, being from Germany. When I came over here with my husband (who is from the US), I had to fill out tons and tons of paperwork, go to doctor's for check ups, my husband had to prove he would "support" me financially and there was even something in the papers about me not being eligible for any financial aid, not that I never needed it. So it really ticks me off when I as a legal resident get to pay over $200 just to renew my green card, paid several hundreds years ago, to get it to begin with and here these people just come illegally expecting the tax payers to take care of them. From the very start I spoke and wrote english. I guess I should have come over here exepecting everyone to speak german, LOL, too funny! But that is what we are expected to do for hispanics? It's just a bit ridiculous and I am a "liberal". I say, no way, learn english.... everyone from Europe and other countries has to learn english if they come here to live.
I'm an immigrant too and this post represent me 100%. IMHO immigrants should learn and speak fluid english in America.

The only difference is I can speak english and spanish. So, surprise for some people, not every spanish speaking people are expecting everything in spanish and free.

People are so scared/angry/addyouradjectivehere with spanish speakers that, sometimes, it's difficult to be an immigrant. Yes, even a legal one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Third world hygiene (or lack thereof) just not to my liking, especially when it comes to food handling.
Prf refer specifically to the countries you know please. In Chile, for example, the kitchens are cleaner than several of the US kitchens. You can see the fresh things prepared and you know everything is ok. And yes, Chile is one of those "third world hygiene"...

Another example. If you've donated blood, this country is green. Sanitary issues are very important there and the US recognizes that.

Last edited by DFWgal; 12-26-2008 at 08:34 PM..

Old 12-27-2008, 02:07 AM

78 posts, read 203,296 times
Default Think about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Careful Kinky... them's fight'n wards 'round these here parts... turn that thar harse 'a your'n right on 'round 'n skee-daddle.

Seriously, what you're saying here is part of the problem. US inhabitants don't want to, and should not have to, learn Spanish or any other language in order that they don't miss out on 'something important' or stupid or funny. I can absolutely agree with this, even though, personally, learning languages has brought so much 'interest' back into my life (we all need a hobby, right?).

My problem is the idea of ‘forced language’ and infringement upon personal freedom. My stance, and I think it's a reasonable stance, is that in no official, government-related business should be conducted in any other language besides English (that’s what we speak!). As far as the separate issue of illegal immigration—they shouldn’t be here.

On the other hand, in personal affairs and in private business, there should be no language requirement at all. According to our founding documents, there can’t be. If someone comes into my town and sets up a ‘Dargwa restaurant’ where only that language is spoken within the private establishment… more power to him! That is his right! No one should have any say. Of course, when a merchant does something like this, it’s at his/her own peril (wouldn’t have a lot of costomers, methinks). But it IS their right.

I think some of the other participants on this thread believe that language should be forced in personal and/or private situations. That’s where I, and anyone who loves freedom, should disagree. If state control is used to tell us how to speak, how long will it be until they tell us what to wear, how to act, which religion to follow, where to work, what to do with our free time… and ultimately when and where to take a dump? Oh… and what to drink (remember prohibition?)?

That’s why I’m so passionate about this whole thing. Get the illegals out. Get our government functioning in English… and then be quiet about it. Let private citizens have the freedom to decide how they want to speak and what they want to do, as long as they are not denying others of that same freedom. Live free or die...
Native Americans didn't say no to the English Speakers back before their rights and freedoms were stripped away from them. Come on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration