Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 04:56 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky View Post
If you ask for assimilation you also need to offer acceptance... Nobody assimilates in a hostile environment. One thing is to be against illegal immigration, but bashing illegal immigration and then asking for assimilation seems contradictory to me.

By posting this article you are putting two ideas in the table, illegal Mexicans do not assimilate and commit horrible crimes. It is impossible to feel sympathetic to a rapist and a murderer. However making the generalization that all Mexican immigrants do not assimilate is incorrect.
I don't want illegal aliens to assimilate, I want them to go home. What hostile invironment did this killer meet with? You don't know that he did. If he came here at 2 and committed the murder at 17 he would have gone through our school system and most young American kids don't care if someone is illegal or not. They don't understand the impact of this issue. I doubt that most or if any of his peers even knew about his status in this country.

Still he spent 15 years as a free person in this country with no knowledge of his home country so why the "Viva Mexico"? My guess is that like so many Hispanic parents whether they be legal or illegal instill this loyalty to the homeland in them. Pride is one thing, loyalty is quite another.

I didn't post this article to smear illegals in general or even Mexicans in general. I am well aware that Americans have committed such heionous crimes also. I posted it because the "Viva Mexico" caught my eye as his dying words when he left there at 2 years old. It also caught my eye that his relatives in Mexico felt the need to burn a T-shirt with the American flag on it when the evidence was overwhelming that he committed that rape and murder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 04:57 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Texas executes illegal immigrant after President Obama says "hol - kcentv.com - KCEN HD - Waco, Temple, and Killeen

This 38 year old Mexican was brought here illegally by his parents when he was 2 years old. Remained here illegally till his execution.

His last words were shouting, Viva Mexico, Viva Mexico!

Texas executes Mexican after court stay rejected - Yahoo! News
They executed a DREAMer!

Old 07-08-2011, 05:05 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The person who committed the murder chose to do God's job also. It's called retribution.
That is why we have prisons in place.

Quote:
He got the fairest trial. He said I AM GUILTY. Nothing more to say about that. There was no violation of any international law.
There was a violation of international law. Please read...

Humberto Leal Garcia: The Supreme Court Makes a Bad Situation Worse - Andrew Cohen - Politics - The Atlantic

Quote:
The SUPREME COURT of the UNITED STATES wouldn't touch the case if that's any clue to you that there was no violation of international law. If there was, they would have intervened.
See above link.

Quote:
And furthermore, the only thing this execution should do is REQUIRE the police NATIONWIDE to ASK FOR LEGAL PAPERS and determine if the arrestee is a US citizen when they pull somebody over. Leal Garcia was in the USA since the age of 2 and likely didn't even know he was an illegal but none of that matters because he CONFESSED TO COMMITTING THE CRIME. The don't ask policy most states have is not going to fly after this.
Not going to happen.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:15 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky View Post
Felling funny about your ignorant comment?
What ignorant comment?

Do some research.

Teen pregnancy rates

High school dropout rates

Incarceration rates

Numbers don't lie.......

Old 07-08-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
How could it possibly cost more to execute someone than paying for their upkeep in prison till they die naturally? You have a link to your assertions?
The escalating expense of executing inmates in California | abc7news.com

Death Penalty Cost | Amnesty International USA

Quote:
The average cost of defending a trial in a federal death case is $620,932, about 8 times that of a federal murder case in which the death penalty is not sought.
Quote:
New Study Reveals Maryland Pays $37 Million for One Execution
Costs of the Death Penalty | Death Penalty Information Center

Old 07-08-2011, 05:32 PM

So what are the comparative costs of incarcerating someone for 60 years? The Manson murders come to mind. They went to prison while in their 20's.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
There has been a great deal of analysis and commentary on the Leal case -- some of it better than the rest -- but at heart, Thursday's dramatic events are simple to explain. The Court's majority went out of its way to allow Texas to proceed with an execution, even though the state would have been only minimally harmed in waiting a few more months (or even a few more years) to proceed. The Court did so despite broad concerns, expressed by officials in both of the other two branches of government, that the Leal's execution now would harm the interests of the United States abroad. And, by doing so, the Court compounded rather than solved an important legal problem raised by the Leal case.

Just because Congress has consistently failed to do the right thing here doesn't mean that the Court had to follow its lead. The result is a big, black mark on the face American justice now shows to the rest of the world.
Humberto Leal Garcia: The Supreme Court Makes a Bad Situation Worse - Andrew Cohen - Politics - The Atlantic

Old 07-09-2011, 09:52 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SitNSnooze2 View Post
Death row is more expensive than life in prison.
Not if they're actually executed, instead of years and years of appeals. Done right, it's most certainly cheaper.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Not if they're actually executed, instead of years and years of appeals. Done right, it's most certainly cheaper.
Makes sense to me.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:11 AM

34 posts, read 22,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
So the death penalty "done right" is robbing us of our right to appeal? Nothing like having a penalty that's irreversable in the case of a mistake and then rushing into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration