Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 10:33 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertee View Post
IS it really legal for them to post jobs that way. My city is posting city jobs in this manner

gertee
I would not think it's legal, actually. They did away with "jobs for women" and "jobs for men" years ago, so this seems like the same kind of discrimination. I don't know if it's state law or federal law in this matter.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:42 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,367,855 times
Of course it is legal, they are statying "preferred" much like a business would state "degree preferred". Many people of many different races can speak other languages, so it isnt discrimination as it doesnt state you must be of a certain race and speak a certain language.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:45 PM

969 posts, read 2,852,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
Of course it is legal, they are statying "preferred" much like a business would state "degree preferred". .
Interesting that it doesn't state "bilingual REQUIRED" since you know that an English only speaker will NOT be chosen when the term "preferred" is put in the ad.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:00 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkarma View Post
Some years ago I applied for a job that required "bi-lingual." I applied and was contacted for a phone interview. During said interview, the lady asked me where I learned Spanish. I told her that I did not speak Spanish. She then became a bit indignant that I claimed to be bi-lingual. I advised her that bi-lingual meant two languages and that I was actualy multi-lingual, speaking English, Russian, French and Vietnamese. Needless to say, I wasn't hired but it does irritate me when now "bi-lingual" is expected to mean Spanish.
My wife had a nearly identical situation happen right after we moved to Houston.The job description only said bilingual, no languages were given. She's bilingual English-French. Interview went great, until the very end where they asked her a question in Spanish. My wife didn't have a clue what was said, and the interviewer was livid that she had been 'lied' to. Needless to say, my wife was livid for being deceived and explained that yes, she is in fact bilingual, and pointed out that nowhere on the job description was Spanish listed as a requirement. The interviewer just shot back something about 'well this is Houston, you should know better' or some other nonsense. My wife said back, in French "Well this is America we should all speak English!" The interviewer of course had no clue what was said. It was a very infuriating introduction to Houston.

Lucky for me I work in aviation, and maintenance, crewmembers, and ATC must know English. I'm thankful for that after seeing the hoops my wife has to jump through.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:10 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,094,122 times
I would think there would be job positions that would need for you to be bi-lingual, as a Border patrol agent, police and of course would depend on what part of the country has the largest Mexican population. In areas in Oregon the police had to take classes in spanish, Hillsoro for one.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:44 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,594,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
I would think there would be job positions that would need for you to be bi-lingual, as a Border patrol agent, police and of course would depend on what part of the country has the largest Mexican population. In areas in Oregon the police had to take classes in spanish, Hillsoro for one.
Does anyone else see the absurdity in this???

Old 03-12-2008, 02:53 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
Such being the case: perhaps the Mexican Federales should know English as well? Many Americans visit Mexico for pleasure and occasionally get 'stupid' (not my problem admittedly) and break the law SOB.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:13 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,372,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
Of course it is legal, they are statying "preferred" much like a business would state "degree preferred". Many people of many different races can speak other languages, so it isnt discrimination as it doesnt state you must be of a certain race and speak a certain language.

It doesn't state WHICH language, but 99.9% of "bi-lingual required" means English and SPANISH. Speaking English and Norwegian gets me no where.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:07 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,998,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
I speak ENGLISH - I live in the United States - if I go to Mexico or El Salvador I will expect the people there to speak Spanish - while I am in the United States I expect people in public settings to speak ENGLISH.

Having lost a job opportunity because I don't speak Spanish, this subject is a sore one for me.

I don't want to press "1" for English - I EXPECT English.
YOUR PREJUDICES, are showing!

Old 03-12-2008, 05:54 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,135,786 times
I have yet to hear one of these press 1 for English. All the ones I hear are "Press 2 for Spanish".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration