Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 12:21 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maythompson View Post
I am in the a similar situation. I am a US citizen i am in love w/a illegal mexican we are set to marry in 4 months. I already know that i in effect will be exiled from the US at least to live full time and I am angry about this. Is this going to stop me from having a life with him and having children? NO, but I never wanted to raise my children in Mexico. The government needs to consider the consequences of these new immigration laws. The Children are US citizens and will come back to this country at a later date and have different ideas from growing up in another culture they will be upset at the U.S. By the way i am a multi millionaire and can support my husband without him ever having to work but he still cant get a visa
The government needs to consider the consequences of the laws? You would not be in this position if you and your fiance had considered the consequences of the laws - new and old.

By the way, I do wish you a happy marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 11:35 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maythompson View Post
I am in the a similar situation. I am a US citizen i am in love w/a illegal mexican we are set to marry in 4 months. I already know that i in effect will be exiled from the US at least to live full time and I am angry about this. Is this going to stop me from having a life with him and having children? NO, but I never wanted to raise my children in Mexico. The government needs to consider the consequences of these new immigration laws. The Children are US citizens and will come back to this country at a later date and have different ideas from growing up in another culture they will be upset at the U.S. By the way i am a multi millionaire and can support my husband without him ever having to work but he still cant get a visa
A large number of people manage to marry foreigners and bring them in. There must be some reason you can't or won't. There are legal ways to go about it -- but too many people get it in their minds that the laws shouldn't apply to themselves.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Our laws drive families apart all the time. Our jails are full of people that have been forced apart from their families for breaking a law.

I'd rather feel sorry for spouses separated because one is over in Iraq -- or something not as trivial as this story where the couple can live in Mexico together.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:13 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
maythompson;2884963] The government needs to consider the consequences of these new immigration laws.
No, the people that break the laws need to consider and weigh the consequences of breaking the laws.

If and when you have children I hope you teach them that breaking your rules will have consuquences so they should "think it out before you act".

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:01 AM

103 posts, read 261,514 times
I'm happy to hear that she can't pay off someone in the government. Why doesn't she want to live in Mexico! That is the point! Most of us don't want to live in Mexico and we don't want the US to become a center for graft and corruption and the Mexican mafia.
She wants the best of both worlds. She also should check her beloved's background and do a health check on him.
There's also Baja, which has 200,000 Americans or Caucasians, I guess.
THis letter sounds like a fake, to me.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:04 AM

103 posts, read 261,514 times
There are also other countries they can go to.
My mother and father traveled widely in order to stay employed. My father worked in Hawaii, Alaska, Guam and Vietnam.
People in the military travel all over the world.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyII View Post
I'm happy to hear that she can't pay off someone in the government. Why doesn't she want to live in Mexico! That is the point! Most of us don't want to live in Mexico and we don't want the US to become a center for graft and corruption and the Mexican mafia.
She wants the best of both worlds. She also should check her beloved's background and do a health check on him.
There's also Baja, which has 200,000 Americans or Caucasians, I guess.
THis letter sounds like a fake, to me.
A multimillionaire would live quite comfortably in Mexico --- so I don't know what her gripe could be. In fact -- someone with all that money would have no taxes to pay, could afford a huge house in Mexico with many servants.

The children of wealthy Mexicans go to elite private schools, and grow up with live-in nannies. And the luxury resorts in Mexico are very pleasant places to be -- so really for this woman and her fiance -- with all that money she has should just see living in Mexico as an extended Cancun honeymoon.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:41 AM

3 posts, read 8,211 times
I personally do not care if anyone throws me a farewell party or not. The point is that children born of A U.S. born citizen will eventually come back to the U.S.A and will be angry that their parents were in fact exiled for years and years. One cannot know what thier reactions will be. My fiancee has the ten year bar (if you came to the U.S. illegally and stayed longer than one year you are subject to this law)and we are trying to have that lifted. I have already paid $7000.00 in legal fees and this is just the beginning. I figure the whole process will cost at least $12,000 and over eighteen months to know if the INS will pardon him. I do not expect anyone to feel sorry for me. If this doesnt work I will be back with him in the U.S. In Ten years anyhow. By the way my money came from hard work and luck.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:54 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Hmmm next time try entering legally. Spare yourself the expense and the stigma of being a criminal.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:22 AM

3 posts, read 8,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Hmmm next time try entering legally. Spare yourself the expense and the stigma of being a criminal.
Who are you saying this to... I never entered this country illegally I am a U.S. Citizen Tax Payer, Born in this country my grandparents went west in covered wagons. [Moderator Cut]

Last edited by madicarus2000; 03-06-2008 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: "I'm leaving" messages not permitted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration