Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2008, 08:53 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I was married to an Englishman so YES I do know. Sorry but that doesn't hold any weight with me AND I can tell you once someone is dragged in front of a judge, their excuse to the judge being "Oh man it was just too expensive to obey the law", isn't going to hold much weight.

It shows a complete and total disregard for our laws and a desire to come here to take advantage of a system they WANT something from but are unwilling to respect.
I am assuming you were referring to the two first paragraphs of PeterRabbit's post; they were bracketed with '><'s'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 09:19 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I am assuming you were referring to the two first paragraphs of PeterRabbit's post; they were bracketed with '><'s'
Yes I was.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:17 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
> Don't you people know the cost and extreme difficulty of "doing it the right way to begin with," meaning getting a visa to live in the U.S. instead of coming here illegally? Evidently not. It's really easy when you're born here to sit up on your high perch and criticize. Obviously none of you have ever lived in Mexico. If you work for $10 per day, how will you ever, ever afford a visa to come to the U.S.? Answer: you won't, unless your family already has money.

And to the person who wrote that it's "easy" to marry a foreigner or why didn't they get married legally, you are also extremely ignorant of the INS procedures and laws and fees, or you wouldn't have said that. <

First of all, INS doesn't exist anymore. It's United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) under Homeland Security.

A fiancee visa (former K1) would have cost $100.00 or less. It used to be the U.S. Embassy in the country of the applicant would charge whatever that country would charge one of our citizens, reciprocal. In 2008 fees were raised and now $131.00 but I didn't read everything because I'm not that interested. I just know that it is cheap and not difficult if you don't mind getting paperwork together and following directions.

Being married has made it more expensive but not near what you have implied.

"Petition to classify status of alien relative for issuance of immigrant visa, select USCIS, Form I-130 for fees and form.

Petition for Alien Relative

Purpose of Form :
For citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States to establish the relationship to certain alien relatives who wish to immigrate to the United States. USCIS processes Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, as a visa number becomes available. Filing and approval of an I-130 is only the first step in helping a relative immigrate to the United States. Eligible family members must wait until there is a visa number available before they can apply for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status to a lawful permanent resident."

Filing Fee :
$355
Quite honestly all that you have said really is quite irrelevent. It is they who wish to migrate to the USA. It is upon them to prove their value,worthiness and ability to support themselves.
If they can't afford the the charges for the applications how then can they hope to afford the move? First months rent, security deposites, food etc. ?
Best case senario they are hired the day they enter, get their first pay day the following week. No we need no further burdens.
By the way I married a Thai national. I know first hand the costs, and aggrivation of the system. It was well worth it.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:21 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Ignorance of the Law is no excuse !

Old 03-22-2008, 05:47 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchezfrank View Post
I have worked at the INS as an interpreter, so I know a great deal about immigration law. Therefore:

The ignorance reflected by these comments astounds me. I highly doubt any of your great-great grandparents came here legally, but rather took the land from the Native Americans because they felt they were a superior race. I personally am ashamed of what my forefathers did. "Give me your poor, your tired masses..." what a joke. No one wants the Mexicans to have an opportunity to "breathe free."

Don't you people know the cost and extreme difficulty of "doing it the right way to begin with," meaning getting a visa to live in the U.S. instead of coming here illegally? Evidently not. It's really easy when you're born here to sit up on your high perch and criticize. Obviously none of you have ever lived in Mexico. If you work for $10 per day, how will you ever, ever afford a visa to come to the U.S.? Answer: you won't, unless your family already has money.

This does not excuse illegal immigration, but it does explain why it happens. These people are not hoping to become lawbreakers. Why do you all look at them as if they enjoyed being criminals? Do you think they are less of a human being than yourselves?

Also, Mexico has its own laws about admitting Americans as residents. There are high financial requirements that are tough to meet if the couple does not have money stashed away somewhere, and the American living there cannot work for the first five years. For the Mexican spouse who can work, the job pays maybe $10 per day.

It's nice to know that in my country there are so many hard, unsympathetic people who think only Americans deserve a good life. After all, evidently we're the only people who matter.

And to the person who wrote that it's "easy" to marry a foreigner or why didn't they get married legally, you are also extremely ignorant of the INS procedures and laws and fees, or you wouldn't have said that.

When two people get married, they can use their own country's passports and national identification cards as identification. When two illegal immigrants choose to marry on U.S. soil, that's what they use. Ridiculous to suggest that they are not legally married. What kind of idiot would use a false document to get married? Give them a little credit, por favor.

I think that breaking the law is wrong, whatever law it is. I also think that a ten-year sentence for simply having crossed the border without permission is extreme. If the immigrant has committed a host of other crimes, perhaps. But all the ones for whom I have interpreted pay their taxes, and not with a fake SSN, either, but with an ITIN. I think a ten-year sentence encourages couples like these to not apply but rather to continue to have the spouse here illegally so as to not suffer a ten-year separation.

Aren't some of you bellowing on about how they ought to try to become legal? And isn't that what these couples are trying to do? The "you should have thought of that" reasoning is pretty stupid. No one raised in Mexico in poverty ever thinks that they are going to marry an American someday, and until they get here, they don't see the consequences of their actions. They are raised to believe that when you grow up, you go to the U.S. to work, and that getting a visa is only for the rich.

The problem is -- the USA takes in far more legal immigrants than any other country in the world, BUT too many people want to come here. They all cannot come here.

How fair is it that every last person in Haiti can't move here and most don't have enough money to come in legally? Or China, how many would prefer to live here. And so on. There are countries much poorer than Mexico but everyone in the world cannot simply move to the USA for a better life. At some point people have to improve other countries, make them liveable.

Immigration should be limited to those who wish to be American, who have the ability and desire to assimilate into American society. We simply cannot take in the whole world however just because they make less money where they are.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:16 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Ignorance of the Law is no excuse !
I used to be a dispatcher AND court clerk from time to time in the small town I grew up in and I have heard the rather nasty judge we had say this one time and time again, after which she would bang the gavel and tell the police to take away the miscreant to prison in spite of whatever heart breaking story they have.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,858 times
Default poor tin man

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMother1951 View Post
So sorry...stop whimpering and realize that actions have consequences. Your supposed fiance should have thought about his problems before he decided it was ok to break our laws. Glad to know that you will leave with him.
poor tin-man you dont have a heart. And its sad to know their are men like you corrupting this nation. Did you ever consider the mexicans that were brought here as children and now they created a life here, should they be torn from there lives here as adults? and never forget you are an immigrant too, this is the native americans land tin-man

Old 03-23-2008, 12:56 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,594,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vendetta View Post
poor tin-man you dont have a heart. And its sad to know their are men like you corrupting this nation. Did you ever consider the mexicans that were brought here as children and now they created a life here, should they be torn from there lives here as adults? and never forget you are an immigrant too, this is the native americans land tin-man
Give us a break, would you? How is advocating for "The Rule of Law" corrupting this nation? It's people with illogical positions like yours that are corrupting this nation, not those of us who RESPECT the laws of it.

Last edited by GuyPinestra; 03-23-2008 at 01:28 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-23-2008, 06:26 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
You are correct I don't have compassion for criminals. Nor do I have compassion for those who would facilitate criminal behavior. They came came here long ago and made a life?
They robbed that bank long ago and used the money to buy a house. Should they be forced to forfeit the house if caught? Hell yes.
Should illegals be deported no matter how long they have managed to evade the law? Yes absolutely. That is the price for cheating, for having no regard for the laws to begin with. Permanent ban on re-entry is also the right thing to do also.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:35 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
The Spaniards were 'immigrants' to Mexico, etc. as well------and, subjugated the Aztec, Mayan, etc. peoples.

If us putative American 'immigrants' have to 'go back' to Europe------so do the Mestizo and other non Indian Hispanics

Remember that the Aztecs never lived as far north as our Southwest prior to 1492------besides, the Navajo, Apache, etc. tribes would have a huge problem being under the former group's domination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration