Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 02:25 PM

2,205 posts, read 2,536,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.westberg View Post
Oh yeah definitely I couldn't agree with you more that illegals HAVE NO RIGHT WHATSOEVER to enter in this country. The question is what is the culture? This ignorance that people with visas and well fluent english or you want to call it blonde mimicry, will come and assimilate is not necessary. One may come with his own way superior and cultural values and spread them across America and teach european dropped bastards how to do things right? How about this model?

How about Dr Sidmon Azibo Comes from Nigeria and teach Barbara whether she will get her check or not? Watch this video and you will love it:

YouTube - Prank Call- Dr. Sidmon Azibo call Barbara from Alabama!! Roy Wood Jr. (Best Version)

Oh that was hysterical! And I'd say Barbara was an American.

Regarding someone coming into this country and teaching radical beliefs which threatens America, we deal with them and they are usually smaller in number. Plus, we have our own homegrown nuts to contend with, we deal with them too. An illegal alien invasion, which is what we have today, makes it impossible to tell who is coming in and for what reasons. Again, the culture definition of America is as explained earlier by myself and others. Legal immigrants are taught who not to **** with. Illegal aliens show disrespect from the first step onto this soil.

We are a multi-cultural society with respect of all others.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:33 PM

8 posts, read 8,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
Oh that was hysterical! And I'd say Barbara was an American.

Regarding someone coming into this country and teaching radical beliefs which threatens America, we deal with them and they are usually smaller in number. Plus, we have our own homegrown nuts to contend with, we deal with them too. An illegal alien invasion, which is what we have today, makes it impossible to tell who is coming in and for what reasons. Again, the culture definition of America is as explained earlier by myself and others. Legal immigrants are taught who not to **** with. Illegal aliens show disrespect from the first step onto this soil.

We are a multi-cultural society with respect of all others.
See that is another stereotype or ignorance. Your mind immediately turned to "radical beliefs which threatens America" How about Dalai Lama who sit and talk about Chinese religion. Is it radical? Of course not. Defining other superior cultural values as radical beliefs is also a kind of ignorance. It is a matter of faith not being radical. Your definition was common sense based obivous things which one must do but can't be defined as culture.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:39 PM

2,205 posts, read 2,536,422 times
Quote:
See that is another stereotype or ignorance. Your mind immediately turned to "radical beliefs which threatens America" How about Dalai Lama who sit and talk about Chinese religion. Is it radical? Of course not. Defining other superior cultural values as radical beliefs is also a kind of ignorance. It is a matter of faith not being radical. Your definition was common sense based obivous things which one must do but can't be defined as culture.
Quite frankly I had trouble figuring the point of your previous post. With the combined video as the Dr. spake of how his country was, I responded to such. If you are desperately looking for the definition of American culture, which has been explained time and again, perhaps a different forum may help you. This is about illegal immigration. Which I have tied into my every answer. America is multi-cultural. For those who choose to attack Americans and this culture, I'd bet they have a self proclaimed definition of "who we are". Oh, and with that, this is my last response to this off topic subject.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:37 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Oh yeah definitely I couldn't agree with you more that illegals HAVE NO RIGHT WHATSOEVER to enter in this country. The question is what is the culture? This ignorance that people with visas and well fluent english or you want to call it blonde mimicry, will come and assimilate is not necessary. One may come with his own way superior and cultural values and spread them across America and teach european dropped bastards how to do things right? How about this model?
Are you suggesting we should embrace every culture in the world? If so, does that include female genital mutilation, honor killings, stoning, infanticide, misogyny, polygamy, to name a few? Should all women be required to walk a few steps behind men? Perhaps we should start amputating limbs from criminals as they do in some regions of the world. Surely you can appreciate the freedoms and humanity we espouse in this nation.

I always find it interesting that every other country in the world can have a dominant culture, yet the mere notion of an “American” culture is somehow taboo, or intolerant of other cultures.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:38 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times
To steve.westberg: Just a little definition of culture from the resident anthropologist....since you seem to be struggling with the concept.

Culture

Culture is a shared, learned, symbolic system of values, beliefs and attitudes that shapes and influences perception and behavior. Culture is learned, aka enculturation. Culture is shared by members of a society. There is no such thing as a culture of one. Culture is patterned. People within a given culture live and think in ways which form definite patterns. Culture is mutually constructed by society through a constant process of social interaction. Culture is symbolic as is language. Culture is arbitrary--it isn't based on natural laws which are external to humans but created by humans according to the inclinations of society. Culture is internalized. It is habitual to those who perform it and the performance of culture is so natural that one is not even aware of performing it.

Perhaps now, you might be able to grasp the concept of American culture and understand the reasoning behind a society that doesn't wish to give it up, especially to unlawful invaders.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:41 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Are you suggesting we should embrace every culture in the world? If so, does that include female genital mutilation, honor killings, stoning, infanticide, misogyny, polygamy, to name a few? Should all women be required to walk a few steps behind men? Perhaps we should start amputating limbs from criminals as they do in some regions of the world. Surely you can appreciate the freedoms and humanity we espouse in this nation.

I always find it interesting that every other country in the world can have a dominant culture, yet the mere notion of an “American” culture is somehow taboo, or intolerant of other cultures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
To steve.westberg: Just a little definition of culture from the resident anthropologist....since you seem to be struggling with the concept.

Culture

Culture is a shared, learned, symbolic system of values, beliefs and attitudes that shapes and influences perception and behavior. Culture is learned, aka enculturation. Culture is shared by members of a society. There is no such thing as a culture of one. Culture is patterned. People within a given culture live and think in ways which form definite patterns. Culture is mutually constructed by society through a constant process of social interaction. Culture is symbolic as is language. Culture is arbitrary--it isn't based on natural laws which are external to humans but created by humans according to the inclinations of society. Culture is internalized. It is habitual to those who perform it and the performance of culture is so natural that one is not even aware of performing it.

Perhaps now, you might be able to grasp the concept of American culture and understand the reasoning behind a society that doesn't wish to give it up, especially to unlawful invaders.
As both of you stated.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:41 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:

It is only those that want to tear down the American culture and replace it with something else that deny that our nation has an identifying culture.
It matters not that there are people living here from other cultures that doesn't negate the fact that we have our own and that the majority practice it.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:

Neither I am suggesting anything nor I was suggesting. All I was looking the most comprehensive definition and explanation about the American culture which could make real sense in context of assimilation of other cultures especially whithin the framework of immigration. I was not looking for tomboyish explanation of American Culture that we American respectfully wipe our ass after we are done from dropping thick brown noodles or We American dig our ancestors in ground after they die or We celebrate repectfully our festivals in private because these are just common sense based obivous things and almost every culture in the world would do.
My anxiety or you want to call it curiosity was to know that How would you define American culture, for sake of which, you are suggesting that even those legally naturalized citizens must try or hope to assisimilate in so called "American Culture" I mean what will be most comprehensive way to not only define it but also demonstrate its righteousness so that one must plan to give up his or her own culture.
What is goal of being an American? What makes one American? I don't think that just coming out of a Women's womb on American Soil will make you an American. What special American culture teach expect from those basic human habbits that respect others, wipe your ass, brush your teeth etc. How American culture can be proved better than other culture prevailing in the World? If one migrates to American that doesn't necessarily mean that his previous culture was inferior there could be several other reasons. How would you advocate the Amrican culture without explaining its components?

Last edited by steve.westberg; 04-07-2010 at 05:30 PM..

Old 04-07-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
A matter of personal liking or disliking? Do you know anyone who personally likes being called a "Jerk" (nice touch with making it a proper noun)?

It is abundantly clear that you are not American, and are trying to trash talk American culture. What about the following comment do you believe is only offensive as a "matter of personal liking or disliking":

"teach european dropped bastards how to do things right"

This is the wrong forum to discuss your adverse opinion of the American culture. Based on your erratic and difficult to follow posts it appears you would argue that America doesn't even have a culture. But if you really want to learn about American culture there are a host of informative posts in other parts of CD forum.

I wonder if the Eurotrash teens are on spring break this week as well...

See the problem is that anybody who ask fundamental questions is treated like an un-American. I don't feel any special whether someone call me American or not because we are a human first and then citizen of any country. We are human and that's why we have anxiety or curiosity to know, we are human that's why we object, challenge or question some followed traits in society, We are human that's why we also think with negativity towards ourselves but that doesn't make American or Un-American.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:27 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Like I said that I also oppose illegal immigration but why one should learn American culture if it doesn't make any sense. If He or she may be a naturalized citizen but why one should adopt and learn American culture? As far as arguement goes it really doesn't matter whether arguement is OLD or NEW what matters is that whether arguement is true or not. And also Ms. 2010, The history is always past which is OLD and not NEW. In previous post history was discussed in context of American culture.
What part of American culture does not make sense to you? Is it the language in your case?

If someone becomes a naturalized citizen of Botswana, Belize, or Singapore - wouldn't it behoove that individual to adapt to that particular country's culture? Why would anyone think the same does not apply for the US?

It seems like you are keen on learning about American culture - perhaps you can start a thread of your own in the US forum about it. And then we can return to the subject of this thread, which is why people equate/lump Spanish descended hispanic immigrants with native Mexicans (Indios).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.