U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 09-14-2008, 10:45 AM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,805 posts, read 5,501,469 times
Reputation: 2963

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
APPARENTLY, Olecapt is suggesting that illegals lower the overall crime rate by simply "diluting" our own restive pool of native-born malefactors. Take the average Mafia "family" of, say, 100 'guys'.....add in 20 soft-spoken Amish farmers....and you NOW have a 'group' of 120...with a SLIGHTLY lower rate of 'hits' per 'guy'. The Amish don't USUALLY 'whack' guys....at least not very often. Therefore your crime rate has dropped....
Only because their intended targets can outrun the buggy...

 
Old 09-14-2008, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,181 posts, read 10,338,988 times
Reputation: 2984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Only because their intended targets can outrun the buggy...
 
Old 09-14-2008, 11:30 AM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 21,159,484 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Common sense dictates legal citizens would statistically outnumber illegals in criminal offenses. After all, legal citizens vastly outnumber illegals. However, I fail to understand how illegals lower the crime rate. That's quite a stretch.
As the WSJ observed a couple of years ago the murder rate in the US has gone down substantially over the last years while the illegal population has doubled.

Check any poor neighborhood that has gone from majority black to majority hispanic. The crime rate is down substantially.

Why is it you think that the rust belt cities have very high crime rates with relatively low illegal populations?
 
Old 09-14-2008, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,181 posts, read 10,338,988 times
Reputation: 2984
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
As the WSJ observed a couple of years ago the murder rate in the US has gone down substantially over the last years while the illegal population has doubled.

Check any poor neighborhood that has gone from majority black to majority hispanic. The crime rate is down substantially.

Why is it you think that the rust belt cities have very high crime rates with relatively low illegal populations?
Given the fact that most jurisdictions until recently didn't even maintain statistics on "undocumented" crime (didn't want to discriminate, ya know) where are you getting your info -- other than an "observation" by the WSJ? Many areas still do not differentiate between "legal" and "illegal" immigration. Sanctuary cities come to mind.
 
Old 09-14-2008, 01:07 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 21,159,484 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Given the fact that most jurisdictions until recently didn't even maintain statistics on "undocumented" crime (didn't want to discriminate, ya know) where are you getting your info -- other than an "observation" by the WSJ? Many areas still do not differentiate between "legal" and "illegal" immigration. Sanctuary cities come to mind.
They differentialte hispanic. You can estimate the percent illegal in most areas.

And the comparisons work fine for neighborhoods in transition.
 
Old 09-14-2008, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,181 posts, read 10,338,988 times
Reputation: 2984
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
They differentialte hispanic. You can estimate the percent illegal in most areas.
And the comparisons work fine for neighborhoods in transition.
How do you estimate? Furthermore, all illegals are NOT Hispanic.
 
Old 09-14-2008, 01:39 PM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,805 posts, read 5,501,469 times
Reputation: 2963
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
They differentialte hispanic. You can estimate the percent illegal in most areas.

And the comparisons work fine for neighborhoods in transition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
How do you estimate? Furthermore, all illegals are NOT Hispanic.
Olecapt has no credible sources to back up his outrageous claims. What's with the overemphasis on Hispanic illegals? Although Mexican nationals do make up the majority of illegal aliens in this country, they are not the sum and total of all illegal aliens. To make the claim, as he does, that you can estimate the number of illegals in any given area while assuming that they all share the same nationality or ethnicty seems to smack of bigotry to me.

What do you think?
 
Old 09-14-2008, 01:41 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 7,171,863 times
Reputation: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Olecapt has no credible sources to back up his outrageous claims. What's with the overemphasis on Hispanic illegals? Although Mexican nationals do make up the majority of illegal aliens in this country, they are not the sum and total of all illegal aliens. To make the claim, as he does, that you can estimate the number of illegals in any given area while assuming that they all share the same nationality or ethnicty seems to smack of bigotry to me.

What do you think?
Shame on you, have you not learned or gotten the memo that everything is all about them?

What they want, what they need, and most importantly, it needs to be free.
 
Old 09-14-2008, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,181 posts, read 10,338,988 times
Reputation: 2984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Olecapt has no credible sources to back up his outrageous claims. What's with the overemphasis on Hispanic illegals? Although Mexican nationals do make up the majority of illegal aliens in this country, they are not the sum and total of all illegal aliens. To make the claim, as he does, that you can estimate the number of illegals in any given area while assuming that they all share the same nationality or ethnicty seems to smack of bigotry to me.

What do you think?
I think you are right on the money.
 
Old 09-14-2008, 02:15 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 21,159,484 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Olecapt has no credible sources to back up his outrageous claims. What's with the overemphasis on Hispanic illegals? Although Mexican nationals do make up the majority of illegal aliens in this country, they are not the sum and total of all illegal aliens. To make the claim, as he does, that you can estimate the number of illegals in any given area while assuming that they all share the same nationality or ethnicty seems to smack of bigotry to me.

What do you think?
Hispanics are over 80% of the illegals. Mexicans almost 60%. The only active step underway is the fence which is primarily directed at Mexicans and secondarily at other hispancs.

The only illegal group having any substantial societal impact is hispanic.

Let's not be silly. This is primarily an hispanic invasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top