Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2014, 03:40 PM

622 posts, read 949,679 times

Advertisements

So this come to a conclusion that having certain chains mostly based on a region doesn't make a Northeastern State Southeastern or a Southeastern State Northeastern. Maryland has chains from both the Northeast and the Southeast just like most states in both regions, but that doesn't make Maryland a Southeastern State. Maryland is still a Northeastern State and always will be a Northeastern State due to Maryland's location, culture, history, shape, etc. Maryland feels more like New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania and New York than Maryland is to North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia.

Last edited by muppethammer26; 06-07-2014 at 04:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 04:50 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
Maryland feels more like New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania and New York than Maryland is to North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia.
Blah, blah, blah. You can drive from Delaware, through Maryland's Eastern Shore, over the bridge tunnel down through Virginia and North Carolina and never know that you'd left any of these states if not for the signs that tell you so. Head on down to Charles, St. Mary's or Calvert County and talk to a local, not someone that moved there. You'll swear that you're in the south. Maryland is a mix of many cultures and the Southern culture is there along with the others.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,195 times
Maryland is a complex state. Southern and eastern Maryland are very southern. Central Maryland has lost its southern mannerisms to the 95 corridor. Outside of central Maryland you'll find locals have better hospitality, life revolves around the church, blue laws still exist, a slight draw shows it's presence in speech , and you'll find the best fried chicken and sweet potato biscuits you've ever had. Maryland boasted a rich agricultural history with a sizable tobacco crop. We were a slave state and southern sympathizers. The union occupied Maryland to ensure washington didn't fall to the south during the civil war. John Wilkes booth was from Maryland. In fact, our state song , Maryland my Maryland , shows our position with the war and our position. Even Baltimore gained the name "charm city" for the southern charm it once provided.
With that said, central Maryland is quickly becoming northern in culture. Baltimore has a history of being a blue collar manufacturing city. It also seen large immigration similar to New York as it was the 2nd largest city in the us at one point. Maryland has both the south and north. It's not cut and dry.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:31 PM

Why do some people still like to talk about "Should Maryland become part of the North or the South"? Maryland has been a Northern State since MD's statehood when the US was a new country. The northern border of Maryland if extended to the Atlantic Ocean, it would be 20 miles north of Atlantic City, NJ and if extended to the Mississippi River, it would cross Indianapolis, IN and Dayton, OH. Geographically Maryland is a Northern State. Baltimore and Washington was built just like other Northern cities such as New York, Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Detroit and has received migrants from around the world. People eat cheesesteaks, bagels and crab cakes in Maryland. We should end this argument once and for all and start calling Maryland a northern state just like you call Delaware, Pennsylvania, Ohio, etc. northern states due to their locations.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:42 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Quote:
Why do some people still like to talk about "Should Maryland become part of the North or the South"? Maryland has been a Northern State since MD's statehood when the US was a new country. The northern border of Maryland if extended to the Atlantic Ocean, it would be 20 miles north of Atlantic City, NJ and if extended to the Mississippi River, it would cross Indianapolis, IN and Dayton, OH. Geographically Maryland is a Northern State. Baltimore and Washington was built just like other Northern cities such as New York, Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Detroit and has received migrants from around the world. People eat cheesesteaks, bagels and crab cakes in Maryland. We should end this argument once and for all and start calling Maryland a northern state just like you call Delaware, Pennsylvania, Ohio, etc. northern states due to their locations.
It took 119 pages for someone to finally make sense and finally put an end to this age old debate. Maryland is a Northern state. Now the Mods can finally close this thread once and for all. At least this thread was fun while it lasted. I would like to thank all the people who posted but like all threads, this one has come to an end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBzJGckMYO4

Old 06-25-2014, 05:24 PM

I think the City-Data forums of Maryland and DC are funny because of people like to discuss about Maryland and DC being the North or the South. The reason why I think the Maryland section is funny is because of Maryland's geographical location on the US map and some people still like to claim Maryland as a southern state. Every time I see a new thread about Maryland being a southern state, I laugh and then tell them that MD is actually a northern state.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:31 PM

7,021 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Quote:
I think the City-Data forums of Maryland and DC are funny because of people like to discuss about Maryland and DC being the North or the South. The reason why I think the Maryland section is funny is because of Maryland's geographical location on the US map and some people still like to claim Maryland as a southern state. Every time I see a new thread about Maryland being a southern state, I laugh and then tell them that MD is actually a northern state.
Don't worry, I think your posts are funny too and always give me a good laugh. "North" and "South" are cultural definitions as they are discussed here, not geographic descriptions. Culture is about ATTITUDE not LATITUDE.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:19 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Don't worry, I think your posts are funny too and always give me a good laugh. "North" and "South" are cultural definitions as they are discussed here, not geographic descriptions. Culture is about ATTITUDE not LATITUDE.
Even the grass is Southern. That stuff that you people like to call Wire grass. It's actually Bermuda. Yes, there are also northern varieties such as tall fescue and KBG in MD. Zoysia can also be found there too. And it's only a matter of time before the dreaded Bahia takes root in MD. There were some Fire ants too but the Dept. of Ag wiped them out before they could get a foothold.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:22 PM

The Eastern Shore of Maryland feels like Southern New Jersey and Delaware, while Baltimore and Washington both look like Philadelphia. Western Maryland feels more like PA too. Plus, Maryland is one of the most democratic states in the union. Trust me, I been to Maryland before and Maryland is a northeastern state in every shape and form. If both a New Jerseyan and a Delawarean went to a state next door (Maryland), both of them would still be in the north.

Last edited by muppethammer26; 07-02-2014 at 08:52 PM..

Old 07-02-2014, 09:34 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,061,059 times
Quote:
The Eastern Shore of Maryland feels like Southern New Jersey and Delaware, while Baltimore and Washington both look like Philadelphia. Western Maryland feels more like PA too. Plus, Maryland is one of the most democratic states in the union. Trust me, I been to Maryland before and Maryland is a northeastern state in every shape and form. If both a New Jerseyan and a Delawarean went to a state next door (Maryland), both of them would still be in the north.
I think Maryland was historically a colonial state with southern agriculture but a poor white industrial union striker mix (northern-like). In the railroad days the state had elements of both north and south and became more progressive in recent decades.

In civil war days there were confederate sympathies in the towns in between Pennsylvania border and DC neighboring counties. Because of DC coercion the state did not secede from the union but Marylanders at the time were more for secession than not except near the PA stateline.

Maryland politicians in the Civil War period took a unique stance that the South is in its right to secede from the union and dissolve it at its own on constitutional right by 10th amendment exercise. Though they were personally opposed to the southern trade and hoped for changed hearts to heal the union.

In the 20th century the state became more progressive and was a Democrat state before (when the party was a southern party) and after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland