Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2012, 06:39 PM

581 posts, read 969,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah. I've been here long enough that I mix SoMarylandese with my original Western PA Appalachian. I'm damn near unintelligible sometimes. When my oldest daughter went to college in Western PA she was accused of having a southern accent (she's been here since she was a month old).

Well, time to work. I haven't hit a lick all day.
Do you think you could identify some things of SoMarylandese? I'm a native speaker and so am totally blind to whatever weird things I might say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 06:45 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Cawlvert County
POE-lice
Doag
am-BU-lance

Some Shorebilly:
hit a lick (hasn't done any work)
right fair (as in nice)

Old 05-21-2012, 09:08 PM

501 posts, read 1,161,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Cawlvert County
POE-lice

Some Shorebilly:
right fair (as in nice)
Those two are definitely Southern alright. Especially the whole "right" thing.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:41 AM

8 posts, read 8,859 times
Interesting post. We have the same argument on the Missouri forum. However present day Most of MD IMO is no longer southern. Politically they're liberal as well. Nothing like they were in the past.

Over on the MO side the argument is similar. Missouri however is far more conservative than Maryland is. We also had representation in Confederate congress. Present day southern accents still exist in sections of Southern MO. Most agree on the MO forum 50 percent of Missouri is midwestern, 25 percent of MO is transition zone like parts of Southern IL and southern IN are, and about 25 percent of Missouri is Dixie. Places like Sikeston MO, Cape Girardeau, West Plains, Poplar Bluff, Van Buren are southern cities.

It also seems St. Louis is very similar to Baltimore as well.

I would say MO has retained much more of its southern past than Maryland. However parts of Missouri is located further south than MD too like southern MO, and we have the bootheel. The tip of the bootheel is just a little more than an hours drive from the state of Mississippi.

I don't see anywhere in MD that can rival the bootheel southern culture wise.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:39 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bred in Missouri View Post
However present day Most of MD IMO is no longer southern. Politically they're liberal as well. Nothing like they were in the past.
That depends on which part of Maryland you're in. In the 2008 presidential election Anne Arundel County went to McCain as it also went to Bush in 2004. I'm in the south and my county went to Obama in 2008 although I think it's going to go Romney this time around.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:52 AM

581 posts, read 969,401 times
I'm not sure how liberal Maryland is over just extremely partisan. I think some polls have been done in the past showing that most Marylanders are conservative but vote Democrat. The only invariably democratic counties too are Montgomery, PG, and Baltimore City - The latter two for more racial reasons than ideological.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:10 AM

501 posts, read 1,161,423 times
Quote:
We also had representation in Confederate congress.
Great, but Maryland had a strong Confederate presence as well.

Quote:
Present day southern accents still exist in sections of Southern MO.
As I already told you in your forum, so does Maryland! Southern Maryland and the Lower Eastern Shore still retain their original Southern accents, some of which they have had since colonial times.

Quote:
I would say MO has retained much more of its southern past than Maryland.
I wouldn't say that. You are not taking land area into account. Missouri is not 1/3 solidly Southern and Maryland is.

Quote:
What do you mean, you don't "see" it? You don't see it on Google maps or Wikipedia or biased city-data posts? You probably don't "see it" because you haven't spent substantial time in it! Why do you speak as an expert on our state when you don't have first hand experience in our Southern regions and are basing your conclusions on hearsay? Please, come spend a week in Crisfield, Pokomoke City, and Smith Island. They are 100% Southern Tidewater. I would bet it could rival Missouri's little bootheel. By the way, it's not a contest, so why were you compelled to flaunt Missouri's "southernness" compared to Maryland?

Old 05-22-2012, 10:28 AM

386 posts, read 655,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
andrew_s for one...
Wow way to take my posts out of context and throw me under the bus. My argument the whole time is that the state of Maryland is a southern STATE as a whole, but culturally it is not (there are 0 states that are culturally 100% southern). I have said many times that central Maryland is barely southern in culture (there are a few of us left among the imported peoples) if at all. While there are spots in baltimore, PG and howard county that have some of our great states southern culture left it still is a bastion for for migrants to live and work.

NC is a southern state but the triangle has alot of yankee feel to it due to transplants. Does that mean its not southern anymore? No, its just occupied like central maryland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
No, BUT VIRGINIA AND TENNESSEE sure do! The South is not just the Deep South, hon.

Climate zones:

You are obviously not familiar with linguistics research.

Every Southern American English map includes Southern Maryland and the Eastern Shore. They are coastal/ Tidewater Southern. Please familiarize yourself with Smith Island, MD and Tangier, VA.

Please tell me you are not serious. Slavery. Tobacco cash crop. Plantation culture. One of the ORIGINAL SOUTHERN COLONIES (again, go and look, every single academic resource shows Maryland as a Southern colony)

How can one argue with someone who thinks she/ he is stating facts but is not?

Somebody else can take up the battle on the rest of this one's post - should be pretty simple. Don't have the time to go into every detail.
Thank you Thank you Thank you! Im so tired of people comparing states to the deep south in order to grant them southern status. If this were the true measure of being a southern state the south would only consist of 5 states. There are regions of the south that have different versions of southern culture and comparing Kentucky or Tennessee or Virginia or North Carolina or Maryland or West Virginia to the deep south is comparing apples to oranges. Its like comparing Pennsylvania to Massachusetts you just dont do it.

MD, VA, and NC are the closest states in culture and layout I have experienced in my near 30 years of life. I have traveled north, south and west and I have yet to find a string of states more closely related then these three.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:53 AM

386 posts, read 655,617 times
Quote:
Interesting post. We have the same argument on the Missouri forum. However present day Most of MD IMO is no longer southern. Politically they're liberal as well. Nothing like they were in the past.

Over on the MO side the argument is similar. Missouri however is far more conservative than Maryland is. We also had representation in Confederate congress. Present day southern accents still exist in sections of Southern MO. Most agree on the MO forum 50 percent of Missouri is midwestern, 25 percent of MO is transition zone like parts of Southern IL and southern IN are, and about 25 percent of Missouri is Dixie. Places like Sikeston MO, Cape Girardeau, West Plains, Poplar Bluff, Van Buren are southern cities.

It also seems St. Louis is very similar to Baltimore as well.

I would say MO has retained much more of its southern past than Maryland. However parts of Missouri is located further south than MD too like southern MO, and we have the bootheel. The tip of the bootheel is just a little more than an hours drive from the state of Mississippi.

MD isnt as liberal as youd think Its actually quite split at nearly 50/50.

Also NC is a "blue state" does that mean they arent southern? No. This is the new south and the solid south has been dead for a few decades now.

As for St Louis Ill be there in a month or so and Ill see first hand as to how it compares to baltimore. Excited to say the least to see Missouri.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:08 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
Wow way to take my posts out of context and throw me under the bus. My argument the whole time is that the state of Maryland is a southern STATE as a whole, but culturally it is not (there are 0 states that are culturally 100% southern). I have said many times that central Maryland is barely southern in culture (there are a few of us left among the imported peoples) if at all. While there are spots in baltimore, PG and howard county that have some of our great states southern culture left it still is a bastion for for migrants to live and work.

NC is a southern state but the triangle has alot of yankee feel to it due to transplants. Does that mean its not southern anymore? No, its just occupied like central maryland.
I wasn't throwing you under the bus, I was just saying you were one of the people arguing hard for the whole state of Maryland still being considered southern. Even MDGuy who you just said thank you thank you thank you to agreed that it was not, really only Southern MD and the Eastern Shore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland