Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2014, 05:27 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Ball freak's assertion was correct. Apparently you're the one who's not getting it. Virginia is not a border state because aside from the Northern Virginia area which are basically DC suburbs, the rest of Virginia is solidly southern. Also Maryland is not a Southern state.
If Virginia borders a northern state then it becomes the border state. A state that borders another region is a border state.

Border state - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Quote:
a : a state (such as Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, Kentucky, or Missouri) bordering on an antislavery state and favoring slavery before the Civil War
b : a state (such as Maryland, West Virginia, Kentucky, Missouri, Oklahoma, or Tennessee) just north of the Solid South and traditionally voting Democratic
c : a state (such as Montana or North Dakota) bordering on Canada
Oh lookie... Virginia is mentioned. What have we here? B: A state just north of the solid south. That wouldn't be Maryland would it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 06:08 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
If Virginia borders a northern state then it becomes the border state. A state that borders another region is a border state.

Border state - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Oh lookie... Virginia is mentioned. What have we here? B: A state just north of the solid south. That wouldn't be Maryland would it?
Who cares what some irrelevant stat sheet says about culture. I live in reality. Anyone that thinks Delaware is a border state needs to get their head examined.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:17 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times
Quote:
Who cares what some irrelevant stat sheet says about culture. I live in reality. Anyone that thinks Delaware is a border state needs to get their head examined.
Not a stat sheet, it's the dictionary. As in, by definition!

Old 11-12-2014, 06:28 PM

342 posts, read 511,128 times
"Maryland is a southern state".....LOL! Yeah, sure! I can't believe that I clicked the Maryland forum and there are still these guys who seriously believe that Maryland is a Southern state. Only on City Data!

Old 11-12-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Not a stat sheet, it's the dictionary. As in, by definition!
So? There were fictions made back in the 1800's that classified Blacks as subhumans. Dictionaries aren't always perfect. Do you go by everything the book says for everything?

Old 11-12-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
"Maryland is a southern state".....LOL! Yeah, sure! I can't believe that I clicked the Maryland forum and there are still these guys who seriously believe that Maryland is a Southern state. Only on City Data!
It's the same delusional posters who think cities like Baltimore and Wilmington are Southern.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:53 PM

31 posts, read 36,645 times
Ok in the actual south marylanders are yankees no different than new Jersey or new York. I am from north carolina born and raised and have lived in sc, lousiana, massachussetts, and maryland with 5 years or more in each location. Maryland is NOT southern. In the actual south we all consider maryland northern no questions asked. And when I lived in maryland for well over a decade it went without saying that maryland is northern. Maryland folks would talk about "the south" implying virginia and everything south of it and they always identified as the northeast.

Speaking of maryland, I recently left it for good in august so I can raise my children in north carolina. Maryland has all of the bad attributes of a northern state too. Rude people, overcrowded, the rat race worshiping the almighty dollar, ultra liberal (on par with massachussets), everyone in a rush, and too cold. From my southern view Maryland is the pinnacle of a northern state rivaled by states like massachusetts and new jersey. If a maryland man came down here and claimed to a southerner we would all have a good hearty laugh.

I also want to say that people calling the maryland/delaware eastern shore southern is pretty insulting. If that is what you call southern well you need to come see the real south. Its like some of you think anywhere that is rural must be southern. Maryland is the northeast and I really dont see how this even debatable.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:17 PM

622 posts, read 949,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeinScotts View Post
Ok in the actual south marylanders are yankees no different than new Jersey or new York. I am from north carolina born and raised and have lived in sc, lousiana, massachussetts, and maryland with 5 years or more in each location. Maryland is NOT southern. In the actual south we all consider maryland northern no questions asked. And when I lived in maryland for well over a decade it went without saying that maryland is northern. Maryland folks would talk about "the south" implying virginia and everything south of it and they always identified as the northeast.

Speaking of maryland, I recently left it for good in august so I can raise my children in north carolina. Maryland has all of the bad attributes of a northern state too. Rude people, overcrowded, the rat race worshiping the almighty dollar, ultra liberal (on par with massachussets), everyone in a rush, and too cold. From my southern view Maryland is the pinnacle of a northern state rivaled by states like massachusetts and new jersey. If a maryland man came down here and claimed to a southerner we would all have a good hearty laugh.

I also want to say that people calling the maryland/delaware eastern shore southern is pretty insulting. If that is what you call southern well you need to come see the real south. Its like some of you think anywhere that is rural must be southern. Maryland is the northeast and I really dont see how this even debatable.
This is because of the Mason-Dixon Line (MD/PA) being used as a border between the North and the South. If both Pennsylvania and Delaware (both bordering Maryland) are northeastern states, then Maryland is a northeastern state too due to similarities between Maryland and Pennsylvania/Delaware. I agree that Maryland belongs in the Northeast, even the southern parts of the state.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:26 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times
Quote:
So? There were fictions made back in the 1800's that classified Blacks as subhumans. Dictionaries aren't always perfect. Do you go by everything the book says for everything?
Except that this book isn't from the 1800s. What are your credentials that you should be believed over it?

Old 11-12-2014, 07:28 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeinScotts View Post

LOL Massachusetts

Less than half of White Marylanders are Democrat. Comparing MD to MA is a joke.

You know those Baltimoreans, on par with Bostonians. Why, they even sound alike!

By the way, yeah, I think DC and Baltimore are soooooooooooooooo rural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland