Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2011, 08:57 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times

Advertisements

As Forrest Gump's Mama said "Stupid is, as stupid does"

Never lend out horses, guns, or money.

Corral your son after he gets the horses. Going to "educate" an idiot is always a waste of time. Plenty of other better things for him to do.

Hope he finds the horses, he probably will. He should talk to who ever lent them out, maybe he should find another place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 09:18 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
As Forrest Gump's Mama said "Stupid is, as stupid does"

Never lend out horses, guns, or money.

Corral your son after he gets the horses. Going to "educate" an idiot is always a waste of time. Plenty of other better things for him to do.

Hope he finds the horses, he probably will. He should talk to who ever lent them out, maybe he should find another place.
I wasn't very clear on that. The girl that lent out the horses to her friend, only lent her horses. Not anybody elses.

As of this mornings call, son is on trail. All three horses are staying together. Has not had a visual on them, however this morning he is on this mornings tracks.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:38 AM

448 posts, read 1,070,781 times
Oh brother, but on the up note, I was thinking that it would be " I had to shoot one of your horses" ending...

Old 09-26-2011, 11:57 AM

My son spent all weekend searching. He tracked 2 of the three horses for hours, only to loose the trail.

Final result is he come off the mountain after alerting all the cow camps of the problem of missing horses. Right now all the ranches have cow camps set up and they're bringing all the cattle off the top. After alerting all the cow camps, he come down and turned all the information over to the Sheriff. Deputy said he'd alert the brand inspector that will be at the sort. Not much else he can do now, other then to wait.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:55 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,123,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
My son spent all weekend searching. He tracked 2 of the three horses for hours, only to loose the trail.

Final result is he come off the mountain after alerting all the cow camps of the problem of missing horses. Right now all the ranches have cow camps set up and they're bringing all the cattle off the top. After alerting all the cow camps, he come down and turned all the information over to the Sheriff. Deputy said he'd alert the brand inspector that will be at the sort. Not much else he can do now, other then to wait.
.........Really sorry to hear of this situation............One concern would be: why did one (of the three) "break-off" and go off on it's own in a different direction? (QUOTE:..." he tracked two of the three for hours....".
That's the one I would have tracked.....far easier to "catch a single horse than two running together"..........And I'm guessing that by now "they're spooked" which will make things just that much harder. I sure hope they find 'em soon.....before one or more of them gets that "tie-out" rope tangled up in something.

In Nov of 1967 we had an "elk camp" set up (in about 12" of snow) on the "Grand Mesa" )about 45 miles east of Grand Junction, CO).. (500 sq miles between 9000 to 10000 feet elevation). Just the two of us, and two horses. 3rd night in our "tent camp" we had a "pretty windy snow storm that about midnight broke off a tree branch and took out our "electric fence" temporary corral. Didn't know this happenned until about 2 am. (now had about 16 inches of total snow on the ground.)

Before taking off on foot to track 'em, I loaded my back pack with : flashlite & extra batteries; .38 revolver with 40 rounds; can of lighter fluid; matches; compass, topo map, 4 candy bars, canteen, & 2 lead ropes & 4 carrots; "blue ointment"; roll of gauze & a roll of "Vet Tape".

My buddy took off in the 4WD on the F.S. Road (chained up on all four w/ similiar items). I took off cross country following their tracks----(You do crazy things at age 35 when you think you might lose your 2 horses).

Found 'em about 6:30 am, about 4 miles away huddled up in a thick/brushy thicket. Holding out 2 carrots I approached ---very slowly-- got the leads on their halters and walked 'em out to a different F.S. road that I had crossed 30 minutes earlier. I tied 'em off ("short & high") to two trees, walked down wind about 100 feet and let off (3) rounds in the air with the .38. Did this 4 times every 3 minutes. Pretty soon here comes a Jeep (hunters I didn't know) who loaded me into the Jeep--gave me some hot coffee-- (said I was taklkin' kinda slurry) --beginning hypothermery??)... extended the lead ropes about 5 feet..... and one of these two guys held them out the back and we drove (slowly) back to my camp about 4 miles away.

I sure hope your son's situation ends up with as good an ending.....I'm prayin'.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:57 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,163,899 times
Sounds like someone is now an ex-friend Hopin' he finds the horses alive and well. I'd be worried the one that was off by itself was hung up somewhere. -- Might be he could ask at the nearest GA airport for anyone flying to keep an eye out?

I had someone "borrow" two of my dogs once and take 'em for a "walk; I tracked 'em a long way in the snow but never caught up, called all over, finally gave up (mind you it was like -40 out at the time) ... next day the dogs were back, and I didn't find out where they'd been for a while after that. But you can bet I was fit to be tied!!!

Old 09-27-2011, 07:48 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
ElkHunter, I betcha you could you use of these?

Bobcat wood splitter - YouTube

Old 09-27-2011, 07:54 AM

Rez, I guess my son is made out of a little different material then I am. We talked about it and he told me, "Dad, this is not worth loosing a friendship, however, I am going to be very guarded around him and yes, I'm still going to kick his ass when he comes down here."

No word on the horses from anybody, but that doesn't mean a lot. Cell phones don't work up on the mountains. Would you believe, they positioned the tower about half way up the mountain. So when you are on top, no signal unless you can get up on Look Out Mountain, Black Mountain, etc... Do you know that there is an area, that used to be named something else, but now, if you ask, everybody knows exactly where you are talking about when you say, "I was hunting up by telephone hill". hahahaha

It's the fall roundup, so them boys and girls are pretty busy getting in the nooks and crannys after livestock. I have no doubt they will be found, if not already, and brought down to the pens.

Coffee's on. Eggs sunny side up (3 of em), hashbrowns, toast with butter and jelly, bacon and some pineapple slices.

Seven, have you been seeing any Northern Lights yet? I can see them from my place but usually later in the year. Haven't seen any yet, but I'll wager you have.

When I was hauling railroaders, and had to run from here to Foresyth, I'd take 47 cut across from Hardin to Custer and that's a darn lonely stretch of road. But going up I was staring straight at the Northern Lights. Then head East from Custer and again, it's dark up there and dthe lights would be dancing off to my left. Many a night, if I had time, I would pull off out there and just watch for as much time as I could. My kids told me one time, get some pictures. I told them, "No, get your butt out of town and look for yourself because pictures won't cut it on something like this. It's the dancing that you want to see, not still photo's."

Cold front moving in, finally going to get some fall type weather. We've been spoiled so far this year.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
ElkHunter, I betcha you could you use of these?

Bobcat wood splitter - YouTube
Walter, I've actually seen one of those in action. A good friend of mine, Neil, designed and is the owner of the Company called "Thumper". He built an attachment that goes on the front of a bobcat to drive posts. It's all lazer guided and puts a wooden post hundreths of an inch in line with other posts while building fence. It stands the post up, drives/thumps it into the ground and automatically adjusts the post as it's going down. The laser auto spaces the posts so they are hundreths of an inch within tollerance for between spacing. When You are done building fence, you can shoot it with a transit and the fence is perfect. The biggest advantage is that putting in posts for a fence, is a one man operation. I don't remember what the rates were that he got, but he did test runs and was able to set something like 90-100 posts an hour. The machine is quick.

But as I started out to say, Neil has one of these splitters for his Bobcat. Not sure if he purchased on the market, or if he built it himself. As you can imagine, he's made all kinds of things for Bobcats.

Last year, we used a splitter like you buy at tractor supply. When we were getting ready for the pig roast we split up 8 cords of Cottonwood. 2 of us, and we did the 8 cord in a 2 day period and didn't do but about 5 hours each day. We borrowed that splitter, however, we now determined that we need a splitter here in the equipment lineup.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:51 AM

448 posts, read 1,070,781 times
Hey EH: what's the wolf situation in those parts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana