Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 07:01 AM

53 posts, read 90,603 times

Advertisements

Good Morning folks,

I am very excited, I leave on my roadtrip in 11 days !!

Here's my quick question:

I am renting a car and my mom and I would like to go to Yellowstone Bear World, what are the chances that the bears would actually scratch up the rental?? Or should I just wait until I move to MT and visit with my own truck?

Ok I lied, 2 questions.
When leaving Yellowstone, should we take 191 or 89 to Bozeman??
Thanks you guys/gals are the best !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 12:06 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Mom View Post
Good Morning folks,

When leaving Yellowstone, should we take 191 or 89 to Bozeman??
It all depends on how you are going to route your self through the park............Where are you going to ENTRANCE the park??????

If you will be exiting the park to the north then obviously you would take 89..................................

If you will be leaving the park on the west side (West Yellowstone) then take #191............

The odds of having at bear "scratch your vehicle" are probably about 10,000 to one.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:51 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Great meal on Sunday. The last 2 Antelope steaks out of the freezer. Baked potatoe, half of a acorn squash baked with butter and brown sugar. Ummmmm. Note the size of those goat steaks. I had to use my "Big" frying pan.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
It all depends on how you are going to route your self through the park............Where are you going to ENTRANCE the park??????

If you will be exiting the park to the north then obviously you would take 89..................................

If you will be leaving the park on the west side (West Yellowstone) then take #191............

The odds of having at bear "scratch your vehicle" are probably about 10,000 to one.
Thanks
We are actually entering the park from the west gate and staying at Ol Faithful snow lodge.

Leaving the park, well we can leave either way, just wasn't sure if one route is more beautiful than the other?

ok so I am going to take the rental into the bear park and enjoy myself.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Great meal on Sunday. The last 2 Antelope steaks out of the freezer. Baked potatoe, half of a acorn squash baked with butter and brown sugar. Ummmmm. Note the size of those goat steaks. I had to use my "Big" frying pan.
Hey EH,

I never had antelope steak... how is it? what's it taste like.... and don't anyone come on here and say ... "antelope"

Actually it looks real good and I am starving right now.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:08 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Mom View Post
Hey EH,

I never had antelope steak... how is it? what's it taste like.... and don't anyone come on here and say ... "antelope"

Actually it looks real good and I am starving right now.
Well, actually, it tastes like Pronghorn. There, I didn't say it tasted like Antelope.

Although we call it antelope and even have the song, "where the deer and the antelope play", there are no antelope in the US unless they are in a zoo.

Antelope have a unique taste and don't taste like anything else, that I can think of. This one was field dressed and cut up properly so there is NO wild taste. You do want to eat it while it's hot as it does change when it cools off. I simply patted this down with whole wheat flour, threw some spices at it and fried it up. Mighty tasty, as the bigger steak of the two, was eaten at lunch time.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:14 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
yes to that proper field dressing, also if they are running hard it ruins the meat.
Hi neighbors, anyone got ideas for travel mom, yikers on that bear scratchQ

Old 04-29-2012, 11:34 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
TravelMom, bring a variety of clothes. Including mittens, warm jacket and, boots. You just never know about the weather. Pack plenty of sunscreen. Eat at the chinese place in West Yellowstone, the price is reasonable, and the food is pretty good. Chinatown Restaurant, West Yellowstone - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

Old 04-29-2012, 11:45 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post

Antelope have a unique taste and don't taste like anything else, that I can think of.
The closest analogy I can think of is Caribou.

Some folks say: Prong Horn tastes as different from Elk,......as Caribou tastes as different from Moose.

But as you already said: quickly and properly field dressed & put on ice ASAP..IS PRIMARY.

I haven't gotten one for years.......but I've got a neighbor (young buck of 40), who gave me a couple of steaks last fall.

I made up a marinade of: one part white wine, one part extra virgin olive oil, 2 parts ceaser dressing, garlic/pepper, season salt, a dash of worchester, a pinch of tarragon & 2 cloves of minced garlic.............put the steaks in a HD Zip Lock Freezer bag with the marinade and lay flat in the frig over night......let set on counter top for about one hour to get close to room temp/take out of Freezer Bag .............and then grill on a HOT BBQ till MED to MED/RARE..............(Steaks were about 7/8ths to 1 inch thick).

Old 04-30-2012, 07:42 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Pronghorn handled correctly is my favorite game meat. Very mild, probably the closest comparison I can come up with is venison from a grain fed whitetail doe, but without the stronger flavor venison has.

Griz, Thanks for the memories The grinder I stood on and sweated until the sweat pooled on the ground at my feet was at Algiers Point in New Orleans, (pre Katrina) instead of Great Mistakes, but the "fun" I had at Boot Camp is still fresh in my memory. Kind of like a rash that won't heal

I got to thinking and my father had his truck scratched by a black bear, of course Dad was going about 70 down the highway when the bear ran out in front of him, but there was some scratching from the impact

I don't think the bear park in West Yellowstone is a drive through, last I heard anyway it was kind of a walk through zoo, they might have changed but I doubt it as griz can be VERY destructive if they think there is food in a car, and dangerous. I know that Lion Safari place you can drive through, but lions are a very different animal than grizzly. If lions are well fed they prefer to just lay in the shade, grizzly are constantly hungry.

I could be wrong as I haven't been to West Yellowstone in years. I drove through the park from Gardiner to old Faithful and back last fall, and was a couple of miles from West, but didn't go to the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana