Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 11:34 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Teenagers killing teenagers for sport? Really folks?
Way to overgeneralize and simplify it. Why judge something you have apparently never read or seen? It goes far deeper than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 11:44 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
That is how it is advertised to include the brief IMDB summary
The Hunger Games (2012) - IMDb

Old 03-21-2012, 11:53 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
Quote:
That is how it is advertised to include the brief IMDB summary
The Hunger Games (2012) - IMDb
Well, then that must be all it is about then. I know you're not that dense.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:07 PM

That is what it says. Is that not the premise? I think you are having a problem with debating a real point that the film deals with the mortal combat or hunt between teens. There is no justification for exposing one's children to this. People are taking their children to see this. Good parenting? Is that how you were raised?

What defense can you possibly have if they are shown killing each other on screen? I just found out there are a number of on screen deaths which are quite gripping and may traumatize childen.

Insults are the actual refuge of the dense in that they do not have the ability to articulate pro/con. Is that you?

Last edited by Felix C; 03-21-2012 at 12:47 PM..

Old 03-21-2012, 12:57 PM

771 posts, read 1,396,464 times
Quote:
That is what it says. Is that not the premise? I think you are having a problem with debating a real point that the film deals with the mortal combat or hunt between teens. There is no justification for exposing one's children to this. People are taking their children to see this. Good parenting? Is that how you were raised?

What defense can you possibly have if they are shown killing each other on screen? I just found out there are a number of on screen deaths which are quite gripping and may traumatize childen.

Insults are the actual refuge of the dense in that they do not have the ability to articulate pro/con. Is that you?
This is like saying the Green Mile is about a prison ward and a prisoner with special powers. It goes much deeper than that.

Honestly, I rather have my kids (if I had any) read this and watch this movie that the reality TV crap on shows, or shows about celebrities. So you are saying you wouldn't take your son or daughter to see Spider-man because there is violence? There is violence everywhere in this society and I was exposed to a lot when I was a kid as did many kids at that time, and all are just fine.

I don't see the need to shelter kids so much in during present time. They will see violence in some way on the street, TV, movies, etc. Anyway, the book wasn't written for 7 year olds. It was written for teens who can definitely handle it. People take their kids to see movies that are inappropiate all the time. Would I take my 7 year old kid to see this if I had one? No, probably not. But I wouldn't freak that my kid would be traumatized by it either, if they saw the movie somehow.

Also it's PG-13! It's not gonna be that graphic! This isn't Tarantino we are talking about here.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:01 PM

Also I think the earlier age you expose your kids to certain things and as long as you educate them on the subject the better they will be when in the future. It's like the parents who don't permit there teens to have sex, drink, or watch anything violent. Guess what when they turn 18 they will do it and it will be out of control and more harmful. At least as a teenager there is parent supervision (or there should be). The kids that turned out to be college dropouts were the ones that were always sheltered. The ones that flourished were the ones who were exposed to a lot and able to control/handle their situations.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:04 PM

Are you qualified to make this statement regarding child rearing? I mean in terms of professional accreditation. I go by how I was raised and did not have the issues you mention above. If you say you turned out fine I believe. But I turned out fine my way(my parents) as well.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
This is like saying the Green Mile is about a prison ward and a prisoner with special powers. It goes much deeper than that.

Honestly, I rather have my kids (if I had any) read this and watch this movie that the reality TV crap on shows, or shows about celebrities. So you are saying you wouldn't take your son or daughter to see Spider-man because there is violence? There is violence everywhere in this society and I was exposed to a lot when I was a kid as did many kids at that time, and all are just fine.

I don't see the need to shelter kids so much in during present time. They will see violence in some way on the street, TV, movies, etc. Anyway, the book wasn't written for 7 year olds. It was written for teens who can definitely handle it. People take their kids to see movies that are inappropiate all the time. Would I take my 7 year old kid to see this if I had one? No, probably not. But I wouldn't freak that my kid would be traumatized by it either, if they saw the movie somehow.

Also it's PG-13! It's not gonna be that graphic! This isn't Tarantino we are talking about here.
No analogies. Let us discuss this movie.

Bold faced is not allowed. Spider was not watched due to no interest not content.

What age group are you referring to?

Regarding your child rearing statements. I made another post for that above this one.

I was advised there is one in particular gripping death and there teens who enjoy killing in the film. Hardly sound material.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Bold faced is not allowed. Spider was not watched due to no interest not content.

What age group are you referring to?

Regarding your child rearing statements. I made another post for that above this one.

I was advised there is one in particular gripping death and there teens who enjoy killing in the film. Hardly sound material.
What makes you think is geared towards small children? It's geared to teenagers. Yes because the millions of adults who read this book are going to read a book that would be for small children. I am not saying parents should take small children, but you make it seem like this movie is geared towards them, which it is not.

Might not sound material to you, but millions of other people worldwide don't think so.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:15 PM

What age group? Where did I state small children? I understand it is very violent.

I do not care about millions of people. I note the general declension in parenting. Visit the education and parenting forum here much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies